Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

so would people be happy with Trapattoni?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭Beans_On

Trappatoni Got the job.
    Source :TV3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Indo have it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqp64q7kHmw

Just the man to sort out Steven Ireland. I'd follow him into battle.
    wow :D It's like a communist propaganda address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

The FAI is set to appoint veteran Italian coach Giovanni Trapattoni as Steve Staunton's successor. The 68-year-old is on course to reach an agreement with the association over the coming days and is likely to be in Croke Park on Wednesday night to watch the team play Brazil.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0202/breaking24.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

ShaneU wrote: »
    wow :D It's like a communist propaganda address

Jeeeeeeesis.... lol... They'll be crying like the u10's!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

RTE Radio's reporter at city west said there will be no appointment announced today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'd be pretty estatic with Trappattoni. From the link above:
    1976 : Takes over at Juventus where he guides the club to six league titles (1977, '78, '81, '82, '84 and '86), two Coppa Italias ('79 and '83), a European Cup ('85) and a Uefa Cup ('77).

1986 : Moves to Inter where he wins a league ('89) and the Uefa Cup ('91).

1991 : Returns to Juventus where he wins the Uefa Cup ('93).

1994 : Moves to Bayern Munich.

1995 : Back to Italy for spell at Cagliari.

1996 : Takes on Bayern Munich and wins the Bundesliga ('97) and subsequently adds the cup ('98).

1998 : Goes back to Italy to manage Fiorentina.

2000 : Appointed coach to the Italian team which qualifies for the World Cup in 2002 and Euro 2004.

2004 : Becomes Benfica manager and helps the club to secure its first Portuguese title in over a decade ('05).

2005 : Has brief spell at Stuttgart.

2006 : Moves to Red Bull Salzburg and wins league in first season ('07).

His spells as Italy manager weren't all that successful, but you can't argue with that trophy count.

Sky sports news are saying that the 3 wise men requested a meeting today, most likely to recommend that manager. Supposedly it's on at around 6pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

brilliant. Trapper Keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Stan the Man or Gaffer to us is going to be Commentating on Skysports news reporting on Fulman v Aston Villa game.

I think if Giovanni Trapattoni gets the ireland job and brings in his own assistant from outside, i would love to see Liam Brady take over the under 21 side, i dont like Don Givens and even more so after his remarks on TV about Stephen Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

shane86 wrote: »
    I would agree though, like has he really any knowledge of our team? Has he watched the Cyprus tapes? Studied our youth teams? Done any of this before coming to the conclusion that he can lead these men to South Africa? Or has he just thought "oh yeah, the Irish! Did great in 1990 until we beat them in a tight game. Showed us up in 94, did nearly as well as I did in 2002. Where do I sign?"

We haven't got a competitive match for a long while, plenty of time to do all that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Q_Ball wrote: »
    We haven't got a competitive match for a long while, plenty of time to do all that :)

But my point is whether he should have assesed whether he believes the players involved in such debacles can make it to 2010, and whether he sees any talent in our youth sides. Guss Hiddink would not take on San Marino, as no matter what tactics he uses he knows they just dont have enough players of even moderate talent who he can use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

From sportlinglife.com

Giovanni Trapattoni has slammed reports linking him with the Republic of Ireland after insisting he has not been in talks with the FAI.

The veteran coach is currently in charge of Austrian first division side Salzburg and has moved to end speculation surrounding his future.

"I admire the imagination of certain people. Two weeks ago, I was being linked with Africa, last week it was in England and now we are talking to Ireland," Trapattoni told the APA news agency. "I'm curious to see where I will be next week."

Sky Sports News reported on Tuesday that Trapattoni was in contact with the Football Association of Ireland with a view to succeeding Steve Staunton who was sacked after failing to take the team to the Euro 2008 finals.

The 68-year-old has a wealth of experience and has coached clubs including AC Milan, Internazionale, Fiorentina, Juventus, Bayern Munich and Benfica.

He was also in charge of the Italian national team between 2000-2004.

Billy Davies, Kenny Dalglish and Terry Venables are now expected to be in contention for the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

We're going around in a loop here. The last 2 pages are just repeating stories from last week. Those quotes are days old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

What did Don Givens say about Stevie Ireland??? I must've missed it......?

looks like we are going to find out at the awards tonight!

My guess is John D. gives the news to make himself look 'brilliant'

• Advertisement

What did Don Givens say about Stevie Ireland??? I must've missed it......?

Basically that he is not going to chase stephen - if he wants to come play he can come ask...

jameshayes wrote: »
    looks like we are going to find out at the awards tonight!

My guess is John D. gives the news to make himself look 'brilliant'

That'll never happen................

John D looking brilliant, I mean.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There will be no announcement tonight, just it said on rte radio. Sounds like the players want Tel, not some guy who dont know them from a hole in the ground.

Mike

mike65 wrote: »
    There will be no announcement tonight, just it said on rte radio. Sounds like the players want Tel, not some guy who dont know them from a hole in the ground.

Mike

Are you serious?? This is turning into a bloody joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Mike

The players will want who we tell them to want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Right here is the truth (as far as can be decerned)

http://www.tribune.ie/article.tvt?_scope=Tribune/Sport/Soccer&id=83009&SUBCAT=Tribune/Sport/Soccer

What a merry-go-round if the case.

Mike.
    Interesting read. Makes a lot of sense and goes some way to explain the constant speculation merry-go-round.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    From sportlinglife.com
    As EB has already said, it's old news, was even rebuffed on the previous page.

tdv wrote: »
    The players will want who we tell them to want.

The players seem to think that they can can have the same amount of influence that they get at club level.......??

They should be told to shut up and accept whoever is put in charge.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Maybe Don Givens will oversee a 3-0 demolition of Brazil in a "competitive" friendly and get the nod ;)

Mike.

Maybe Don Givens will oversee a 3-0 demolition of Brazil in a "competitive" friendly and get the nod ;)

Mike.

:D LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

you see you can say that about a number of things, but by this stage delay-ney is draggin us back, and makin wrong decisions that are costly, we shouludnt keep him for good things he has done, we should remove him for the bad things he is doing!

what decisions that are costly?

if delaying the process 100 days lands us Trappatoni, he has played an absolute blinder.

RTE Six One News has just reported that both Trappattoni and Venables are "believed" to be in the frame??

Surely the FAI won't appoint Venables??? Are they not aware that he was Steve McClaren's right hand man at the last World Cup faliure......?

I think we are quite a bit away from getting a new Ireland manager........?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I'm done.

Someone PM me when theres a new manager.. next month.. next year.. whatever. :p

Trotter wrote: »
    I'm done.

Someone PM me when theres a new manager.. next month.. next year.. whatever. :p

LOL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

If there was nothing significant ever to come from this meeting tonight then why were the FAI so keen to talk about statements etc. I am getting sick of this now. All the media will be told tonight is they have to wait longer (again). FAI muppets could not organise a piss up in a brewery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,429 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

RTE Six One News has just reported that both Trappattoni and Venables are "believed" to be in the frame??

Surely the FAI won't appoint Venables??? Are they not aware that he was Steve McClaren's right hand man at the last World Cup faliure......?

I think we are quite a bit away from getting a new Ireland manager........?

Yah, but McClaren was right hand man to fergie when United won the Treble.... so..erm....whatever.

Venables wasn't in charge of Englands failure, in the exact same way Robson was never in charge of Irelands failure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Thread title changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Thread title changed.
    lol

Any news yet from the FAI piss up?, sorry, 'board meeting'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If they get Trappattoni, every one of those 100 days waiting for an annoucement will be worth it. If they get Vanables, I'm going to find Maxi, give him a can of petrol and tell him Dundalk have been thrown out of the league.

Right well a short statement has been given saying that essentially the appointment is expected 'within 10 days' - more waiting im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

darkman2 wrote: »
    Right well a short statement has been given saying that essentially the appointment is expected 'within 10 days' - more waiting im afraid.

Not doubting you at all, not surprising .... but source?

Sky Sports News

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Stan not impressed with Trapattoni.
    Former Republic of Ireland manager Steve Staunton feels that Italian Giovanni Trapattoni does not have enough knowledge of the Irish players and set-up to be appointed his successor.

Staunton was sacked last October after a disastrous Euro 2008 qualifying campaign, and former Italy boss Trapattoni has come from nowhere to emerge as the favourite in the last week to take over the post.

It is not a choice that would be welcomed by former Liverpool and Aston Villa defender Staunton: "What's his knowledge of the Irish players? How well does he know how the Irish players feel and what they're all about because I think we are a little bit different," he is quoted as saying by the Press Association.

Despite the disastrous Euro 2008 campaign, which saw a 5-2 defeat in Cyprus, Staunton defended his record as Ireland boss. "There are no regrets," he continued.

"I'm out of a job after losing one of the last 12 games.

"We brought a lot of young players through. We weren't beaten at home in the campaign so there were a lot of plusses there.

"There were some negative results but a lot more was made of that than the positives."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

When I read that first I thought he said 'there is a lot of pussies there'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

dbnavan wrote: »
    Not doubting you at all, not surprising .... but source?

It was also on Newstalk radio and they interrupted the scheduled show with this announcement

tdv wrote: »
    Stan not impressed with Trapattoni.
    Staunton also went on to say that he took inspiration for the success of his campaign from George W. Bush's exploits in Iraq. "All great leaders are challenged" said the Louth man. "Georgie has had his detactors in the media and so have I". Staunton continued "I haven't talked to him about itm but I think we have alot in common, he's the leader of the free world and I'm the gaffer". Staunton then continued his game of Dungeons & Dragons where his Elf priest achieved level 8, before finishing "I think our Euro campaign was every bit as successful as the war in Iraq"

Source - associated mess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Staunton needs to stop embarassing himself. He can talk all the rubbish he wants, it won't stop people from knowing he is a joke.

Paddy Mulligan when accepting his award said ''I thought Geovanni was going to b manager by the Brazil game'' The look on Tony O' Donaghue's face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Trapattoni is the recommended man, whether he takes it or not, its a different story.

venables will accept if offered it, givens wants him, the other 2 dont. its coming to an end, but there are still some twist and turns ahead yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Don Givens, the Chairman of the Selection Panel set up to recruit the next manager of the Republic of Ireland senior international team, tonight met with the Board of Management of the Football Association of Ireland to update them on the process.

He gave the ten Board members a progress report on the work done by himself and the other members of the Selection Panel, Ray Houghton and Don Howe, since he last spoke to the Board.

He indicated that the Panel’s work will be completed within ten days and that an appointment is imminent.

The Board expressed their satisfaction with the progress report.

Source: http://fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2829

• Advertisement

Who is this ''comedian''?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

getting slighty rediculus now lads, has it really been 103 days, international managers have had shorters careers than this

I guess we should Update

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Of the choices available in the latest poll, Trapattoni, but they could appoint Mr. Blobby at this stage and I'd find it hard to care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Trapo was the most credible rumour yet. Unfortunately I get the feeling Tel is still in the running, and I wouldnt be surprised if it was him.

Either way, I dont think we will see the new man in the crowd Wednesday night.

edit- holy thread merge Batman!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement