Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The thing that gets me is that if Davies is appointed and when the team does poorly people will blame Davies himself............and it will not be his fault at all no matter how bad he is or is not -- the FAI will be almost let off the hook by proxy again.............you can forsee what will happen if Davies is appointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

http://img.skysports.com/07/11/800x600/BillyDavies_602107.jpg

What a stupid looking waster.

[Psi]
    Banned from Soccer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

My final mention on the subject(and then I'm not posting until it's confirmed).....is that God could descend with the ghost of Brain Clough and they still wouldn't have a hope of succeeding under this joke of an FAI.

Even now, under the microscope, with Delaney under pressure half of them are fuc*ing it up and the other half are raking it in at the bookies.

The best chance for Irish football...and I mean this...is if they appoint such a disaster as to force whole scale change at the FAI. is any manager that bad? Hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

He's actually not a bad manager, he just has a bad employer on his CV so people instantly think he is a waster. It's like ronald mcdonald - no one will ever give that guy a job again.

He done well at Derby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

jameshayes wrote: »
    He done well at Derby
    Did you actually see the league table when Davies left???:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

gosplan wrote: »
    The best chance for Irish football...and I mean this...is if they appoint such a disaster as to force whole scale change at the FAI. is any manager that bad? Hopefully.
    The FAI will never change.

Stop thinking it. Stop believeing it. Stop saying it. Stop.

The FAI will never change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

He got them promoted, granted. But when it started to go pear shaped, they showed him the nearest exit.

Well in fairness, he did fail at the playoffs several times. His nickname in the football league was "Billy the Bottler" although alot o fthe trouble at Derby was due to a dreadful board last season, the same excuse can't be made for his previous failures.

Bad choice.

In other news - tdv banned.

PHB wrote: »
    I may have ****ed up the poll merging threads, apologies :/
    :P

fixed

If Trappatoni is out - or was never in then the FAI should say so IMO because having his name all over the media is getting peoples expectations up too high and I would not like to be John Delaney unveiling Billy Davies after this. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Melion wrote: »
    This is getting hilarious :D:D

Breaking news on SSN that Billy Davies is meeting with the FAI tomorrow to discuss taking the job

In fairness though, his wiki page has a cracking pic. :Dhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Davies

Stekelly wrote: »
    In fairness though, his wiki page has a cracking pic. :Dhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Davies

lol he looks drunk.

:P

fixed
    :confused:

DesF wrote: »
    :confused:

Me too, seems PHB borked it up beyond repair.

Suffice to say, noone will be happy with whoever is appointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

You could back Venables OR Trapatonni for the job at 4/6 on Betfair. They're still the 2 clear favourites for the job so that's great odds. The only chance Davies or anyone else has of getting it is if both those pull out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

FAI look to avoid nightmare scenario

By Liam Mackey, Soccer Correspondent
    RED BULL Salzburg yesterday attempted to pour cold water on any suggestion that Giovanni Trapattoni will take up the post of manager of the Republic of Ireland with a club spokesman insisting the Italian had denied he was engaged in negotiations for the job.

However, with the FAI’s three-man Selection Committee having been given 10 more days in which to conclude their search for a new manager, it’s clearly their intention to seek to formally interview the veteran Italian coach about his interest in the job, once chairman Don Givens’ duties as caretaker manager for tomorrow’s game against Brazil are completed.

It’s understood the headhunting panel were on the brink of nominating Terry Venables to the FAI’s Board of Management before Trapattoni emerged in midweek as a possible candidate, with the result that his is now the final name to be ticked off the list of runners and riders before the 10 day deadline extension runs out.

Venables, whose name continues to elicit strong approval from within the ranks of the players, remains firmly in the hunt but the nightmare scenario for the FAI would be for their lengthy quest to fall between two stools, with both leading candidates dropping out should any further complications arise.

Trapattoni, who always claims that he has never broken a contract, is tied to the Austrian champions until the end of the season, which may partly explain the strong terms in which the club yesterday dismissed speculation linking him to the Irish job.

“There is no story to tell,” said club spokesman Tomas Blazek. “Mr Trapattoni is concentrating on his job until the end of the season. I have spoken to him about this and he has told me that there is nothing to it or, at least nothing serious to it.”

Despite the denial however — which came on top of similarly dismissive comments in a statement by Trapattoni’s agent on Sunday — it is obvious that the FAI believe that it is worth going the extra mile in order to establish the seriousness, or otherwise, of the Italian’s interest in the job.

Meanwhile the most capped player in the current Irish squad has voiced his concern about the managerial merry-go-round. Although his comments were considerably milder than Richard Dunne’s on Sunday night, Wigan’s Kevin Kilbane, in his own inimitably measured way, made it clear that he too was impatient with the whole process.

“It does seem very long,” Kilbane said. “I think every other nation that doesn’t have a manager seems to get it done very quickly. It’s been a long time but hopefully we get the right man. But all of us thought it would have certainly been done by now.”

While Richard Dunne had hinted at the possibility of further player retirements, Kilbane played down any talk of a mutiny in the ranks.

“Nothing has been said to me,” he maintained. “Maybe it’s just a little frustration because we all felt it could and would have been done by now.”

But Kilbane conceded he was taken aback by the retirements of Steve Finnan and Andy O’Brien. “They’re two big blows,” he observed. “Stephen is only 31 and Andy is only 28. They’re both young enough (to play on). But they’ve got their reasons and you’ve got to respect them for that.”

Asked as to whether he would choose Venables or Trapattoni, Kilbane opted for diplomacy.

“I really don’t know, we’ve all heard great things about both,” he said. “I’ve heard great things about Venables from various people, be it coaches or players. He’s got a good reputation but so does Trapattoni. We just hope an announcement is made sooner rather than later.”

Meanwhile there were unconfirmed reports last night that Billy Davies will hold talks with Ireland’s selection panel regarding the Irish job. He has been out of work since November after leaving Derby.

http://www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=sport-qqqm=sport-qqqa=sport-qqqid=54448-qqqx=1.asp

They should worry about a mutiny amongst the Irish supporters if this joke of a process continues to rumble on.

If I'd been told following Staunton's departure that he would find employment before we'd found our new manager, I'd have laughed at the absurdity of such a suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

if billy davies is hired....we should boycot all ireland matches.

Trapatoni or venables would be my choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Venables better not get it. Things are bad enough as it is.

They should worry about a mutiny amongst the Irish supporters if this joke of a process continues to rumble on.
    joe123 wrote: »
    if billy davies is hired....we should boycot all ireland matches.
    Jesus H.

Boycott games?

Does anyone seriously expect the Olé-brigade to do that. Do you actually think these people care who the "manager" is? Do they fúck.

As long as "de boyz in green" are giving them a reason to wave their inflatable hammers and bananas, do Mexican waves and boo (not even)(ex)Rangers players, then all is well in their world. "Were you at THE MATCH last night?" "Yeah, great wasn't it?".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Well in fairness, he did fail at the playoffs several times. His nickname in the football league was "Billy the Bottler" although alot o fthe trouble at Derby was due to a dreadful board last season, the same excuse can't be made for his previous failures.

Bad choice.

In other news - tdv banned.

Who or what, is tdv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Heard on the news this morning(both TV3 and Today FM) that the FAI haven't even spoken to Trapattoni about the job!!???:confused: God knows where the rumour about him being linked with the job started!!??

I need a lie down.

:D

• Advertisement

TDV is the poster who posted a silly comment about Davies based on his appearance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Does anyone seriously expect the Olé-brigade to do that. Do you actually think these people care who the "manager" is? Do they fúck.

As long as "de boyz in green" are giving them a reason to wave their inflatable hammers and bananas, do Mexican waves and boo (not even)(ex)Rangers players, then all is well in their world. "Were you at THE MATCH last night?" "Yeah, great wasn't it?".

In fairness the Cyprus match was not full. The management and team were rightly booed for such a shocking performance. There certainly are fairweather fans but still, the crowds have started voting with their pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Republic of Ireland will offer Giovanni Trapattoni the manager's job with a £1m bonus if he takes them to the World Cup in South Africa. (Daily Mail)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/default.stm

shane86 wrote: »
    In fairness the Cyprus match was not full. The management and team were rightly booed for such a shocking performance. There certainly are fairweather fans but still, the crowds have started voting with their pockets.
    No, the Cyprus match wasn't full because Ireland had no chance of "winning" (qualifying) any more.

That is the very essence of fair-weatherness imo.

Jesus H.

Boycott games?

Are you talking about Home games only Desf? its just I find it hard to believe that you would have that opinion of fans who travel at great costs to away games, I think the Olé-brigade will dissapear fairly quickly if the results continue the way they have been in recent years, I bought tickets to all the home qualifiers for the last 2 years and I'm going to the friendlies this year but I won't be buying block tickets for world cup qualifiers if Davies is manager, it would be depressing to pay hard earned cash to watch a team in need of some good expeirenced international manager play under a manager of Davies ability and expierence.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

This crap is actually still going on?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

By the looks of it the process of the 3 wise men has turned out to be the usual farce. Initially it sounded like a good idea, in the sense that the manager would be picked by "football people" but we all know that the real reason for the panel was to relieve Delaney of any blame should the candidate not work out.

The problem seems to be that although the panel said that they'd be interviewing over 10 people regardless, and then make their decision, every time they've met with an interviewee people have taken this as being the decisive interview rather than being just a part of the process. The betting markets to date have proved this.

The FAI should have just hired a recruitment agency to headhunt possible candidates, that way the interviews could've been kept confidential.

So what exactly is your definition of the Olé Olé Brigade?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    So what exactly is your definition of the Olé Olé Brigade?
    Here
    People who wear this

Some more

Nice hat

Tellytubbies?

That is the Olé Brigade.

Here
    People who wear this

Some more

Nice hat

Tellytubbies?

That is the Olé Brigade.
    So if you dress up or paint your face at a match you haven't a clue about football?

Personally, dressing up in a Leprechaun suit wouldn't be my thing but I wouldn't judge someone else that done it. We celebrate the Brazilians when they do it but scorn anybody Irish that does it.

So people who dress up for games are the Olé Olé Brigade, very well reasoned point DESF!

• Advertisement

No, the Cyprus match wasn't full because Ireland had no chance of "winning" (qualifying) any more.

That is the very essence of fair-weatherness imo.

While a lot of people may have stayed away for that reason, it's not all there is to it.

I went to the Cyprus and leaving just after Cyprus scored, I swore blind that I'd never go to another Stan-era game.

For me it's more about an agreement that I have with the FAI. I pay (rip pff prices) for tickets and they provide me with a national football team that I can support.

I simply got to the point where I was unable to support the Irish team. Nothing to do with qualifiers or importance of games. I just got the feeling I was being shafted by an inept organisation who basically didn't deserve my custom.

So if you dress up or paint your face at a match you haven't a clue about football?
    I take my football fairly seriously actually.

Dressing up like a goon isn't for me.

I certainly don't need a tellytubby outfit to "show my loyalty" or whatever the fúck these clowns are doing.
    Personally, dressing up in a Leprechaun suit wouldn't be my thing but I wouldn't judge someone else that done it.
    It's the mindset that these people portray. "Shure, it's an aul party, who cares if we lose, we'll just get locked in anyways, everyone will think we're great".

I'm sorry, but I happen to want my team to win. It hurts when we don't, last thing I want to do is jump around in a orange beard and baggy green trousers thanks very much.
    We celebrate the Brazilians when they do it but scorn anybody Irish that does it.
    The Brazilians have women in skimpy shorts and stuff. Of course we celebrate it :D

For me it's more about an agreement that I have with the FAI. I pay (rip pff prices) for tickets and they provide me with a national football team that I can support.
    Why can't you support them?

Because they are shíte?

Because they don't play good football?

Because the manager isn't to your liking.

Well boo-fúcking-hoo.
    I simply got to the point where I was unable to support the Irish team. Nothing to do with qualifiers or importance of games. I just got the feeling I was being shafted by an inept organisation who basically didn't deserve my custom.
    Now, here's a thing.

Is supoprting Ireland a consumer good, or a passion in your bones?

Desf incase you get free tickets you might want to know most of us actually pay to see the games, obviously our national team isn't a consumer good and the FAI can't pick the players who can play for our national side, However the FAI can pick and employ the manager and hiring Staunton was a disgrace and every fan that has bought tickets to see the Irish team has a right to feel they were robbed by the Fai and if they go and appoint Davies it will be the same again, we pay good money to the FAI the least we can expect is that they use that money to get a decent manager.

Villain wrote: »
    Desf incase you get free tickets you might want to know most of us actually pay to see the games,
    What?

What has that got to do with it?

I hardly go to Ireland games because I hate the fakey-fake atmosphere at them, Mexican Waves, English Accented chants (this is the worse one) etc. I don't go to football to "have fun". I go to football to get absorbed in the game.

FFS, I stood up one time to join in a chant (The Faroes qualifier, in Landsdowne) and some prick told me to sit down. I hate this. I like to show emotion, I get passionate. I make no apology for that.

If people want to sit down and watch quietly, then I'm afraid a stadium isn't for them.
    obviously our national team isn't a consumer good and the FAI can't pick the players who can play for our national side,
    Something the "fans" need to realise actually. We have average players, at best. Ireland are going to get average results.
    However the FAI can pick and employ the manager and hiring Staunton was a disgrace and every fan that has bought tickets to see the Irish team has a right to feel they were robbed by the Fai and if they go and appoint Davies it will be the same again, we pay good money to the FAI the least we can expect is that they use that money to get a decent manager.
    Why are you judging Davies before he even gets a chance?

Who do you want?

I take my football fairly seriously actually.
    As do I, however that's not to say it can't be enjoyed. Dum vivimus, vivamus .

Dressing up like a goon isn't for me.
    Nor for me, but I certainly wouldn't judge someone else for doing it.

It's the mindset that these people portray. "Shure, it's an aul party, who cares if we lose, we'll just get locked in anyways, everyone will think we're great".

I'm sorry, but I happen to want my team to win. It hurts when we don't, last thing I want to do is jump around in a orange beard and baggy green trousers thanks very much.
    And you know exactly how these people feel?

The Brazilians have women in skimpy shorts and stuff. Of course we celebrate it :D
    Hallelujah!!! :D

Why are you judging Davies before he even gets a chance?

Who do you want?

He shouldn't be given a chance, anyone with any knowledge of soccer would see he doesn't have the expierence we need at International level why is it people think if someone has managed in the English they can manage at International level?

Davies barely cut in the Championship and didn't get anyway near cutting it in the premier league so why in the name of god should he be given a chance at International level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

is this farce still going on, will some one wake me when a manager is appointed

:(

I think RTE sum up neatly where we are atm
    FAI closer to appointment
    Tuesday, 5 February 2008 11:49
    The Football Association of Ireland hopes to rubber-stamp a new manager in the aftermath of Wednesday's fixture against Brazil - with Italian veteran Giovanni Trapattoni favourite for the post.

Relatively happy with that posistion atm. BTW whoever posted the rumour about 1 million euro extra for Trap getting Ireland to the WC 2010 - surely it would be wrong if managers were not offered a bonus for a major tournament.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Hmm.

After watching the Czech game in an Irish bar in Prague, we proceeded to say thats life, and get rotten drunk and make the most of our holiday.

Three days earlier on the night of my 21st birthday I went home in disgust as soon as the match was over after seeing the campaign all but ended by the last minute Slovak equaliser. I just was not in the mood to go out and celebrate anything.

Not sure where I lie so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Why can't you support them?

Because they are shíte?

Because they don't play good football?

Because the manager isn't to your liking.

Well boo-fúcking-hoo.

Now, here's a thing.

Is supoprting Ireland a consumer good, or a passion in your bones?

Des, your arguing is becoming a bit pointless at this stage. Now no-one can dress up for an ireland match whether they want to or not? Isn't this along the same lines as saying there's no point in wearing green shirts or chanting? No oubt you'd be happy to give out about how quiet it is in stadiums given half a chance.

To answer the above. I always want Ireland to do well but I will not hand any money over to the FAI, simple as.

As regards your second point, what about people from other parts of the country who don't get to matches? What about poor or invalid people.

That's one seriously high horse.

FFS, I stood up one time to join in a chant (The Faroes qualifier, in Landsdowne) and some prick told me to sit down. I hate this. I like to show emotion, I get passionate. I make no apology for that.

If people want to sit down and watch quietly, then I'm afraid a stadium isn't for them.

HA HA LMFAO!!!!

Didn't see this.

So you hate people telling you to sit down and you want to stand up and chant but all in a three piece suit or something and anyone that shows their support by actually dressing up deserves contempt...except Brazillians cause they're hot and that's somehow OK by your true football supporter rules.

A joke Des, a total joke. You are the John Giles of boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Perhaps if hed removed the speculation when he edited his original post. Anyways, I finally think this mess may be over. Of course, Ill probably look stupid when they add another extension to their deadline. ¬_¬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

HA HA LMFAO!!!!

jaysus, he was called stan a few weeks ago at a boardeaux match and now johnnie giles...whats happening des?

is des, now the most famous poster on this forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Des only has problems with people who don't give an honesty of effort in posting.

So you hate people telling you to sit down and you want to stand up and chant but all in a three piece suit or something
    WTF?

There is an in between leprechaun suits and three piece suits you know.

Normal clothes. No?
    and anyone that shows their support by actually dressing up deserves contempt...
    I'd have contempt for grown adults dressing as clowns, unless they worked in a circus, yes.
    except Brazillians cause they're hot and that's somehow OK by your true football supporter rules.
    Did you miss the :D at the end of that comment I made or what?
    :eek::eek:

John Giles eh?

ffs
    jaysus, he was called stan a few weeks ago at a boardeaux match and now johnnie giles...whats happening des?
    I don't know Ed, I don't know.
    is des, now the most famous poster on this forum?
    FAME! I WANT TO LIVE FOREVER.
    Unearthly wrote: »
    Des only has problems with people who don't give an honesty of effort in posting.
    True, I was absolutely bulling at my players last night for being too fancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Macateer and Cunningham pimping Venables even though they never had him as manager but heard from others that he's great :confused:

I hated Cunningham already and I hate him even more now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Well done Kenny, he is dead right, we ****ing do have some good players, the negativity which is said around here is out of order.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement