Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

don givens talking makes me angry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

McAteer is a complete idiot who talks nothing but crap. He said Hunt is in and out of the Reading team and needs to prove himself. I thought Hunt was their star player this season.

It's as if Terry Venables mates in the media are trying to get him the job by asking dumb players if he would be good for them and all of the say the same drivel, "teammates of mine said he's brilliant, the best they ever had". Cunningham said Ireland dont need somebody like Capello, they need someone who'll put an arm around the players!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Looks like Sunday is end game according to the RTE panel on the Brazil match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

What do people make of my starting line up?

4-2-3-1

Given
    Kelly
    O'Shea
    Dunne
    (Kilbane)

Garvan(CM)
    Steven Reid(CM)

Ireland(RAM)
    Andy Reid(AM)
    Duff(LAM) Mcgeady perhaps instead of Andy Reid on occassions, and put Ireland in the centre.

Keane(Doyle). Might keep these two on their toes, knowing that their place is not assured. Depending on the match alternate between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Is there going to be competition for Trapattoni?
    Hammers ready to open Trap door
    West Ham winger Julien Faubert claims Giovanni Trapattoni has emerged as a possible candidate to fill the club's director of football vacancy.

The French winger put the Italian coach's name firmly in the frame after being questioned on a French radio programme.

Trapattoni has also been linked with the Republic of Ireland vacancy, with Billy Davies and Terry Venables also thought to be in the running.

Trapattoni, who is 68, is currently the coach at Austrian club Red Bull Salzburg, but for a man who has been coaching teams since 1974, he may well jump at the chance to act as a director of football.

Faubert revealed a French-speaking Italian West Ham employee, who helps the midfielder with translation, told the £6million summer signing that the 68-year-old's arrival is a possibility.

Faubert said: "Trapattoni would be a huge boost for our tactics because we have gaps in that area of the game, on the defending and position aspects."

Hammers manager Alan Curbishley may not be too pleased to hear that last remark, but the possibility of bringing someone with Trapattoni's experience to the club, is not one to dismiss lightly.

The Italian is Italy's most successful club coach ever, having won seven league titles with Juventus and Internazionale, though his last Scudetto was in 1989. He was the Juventus coach in 1985 when they beat Liverpool to win the European Cup in the Heysel Stadium and in 1997 he became the first Italian coach to win a league title abroad with Bayern Munich.

In fact 'Il Trap' is one of only two managers to win the domestic league in four different countries after also guiding Benfica and Red Bull to their respective titles. However his spell in charge of the Italian national team was a disappointing one. The Azzurri bowed out of the 2002 World Cup with an extra-time defeat to South Korea in the last 16 and they failed to advance beyond the group stage at Euro 2004.

The only other man that has been linked with the job has been Dutch coach Stan Valckx, who is currently the director of football at PSV Eindhoven.

http://www.teamtalk.co.za/football/story/0,16368,1765_3113854,00.html

Also here: http://goal.com/en-us/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=576753

Uh-oh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ah Stan Valckx. Used to love when George Hamilton was trying to say his name without laughing :D

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get him a contract now Delaney.

Senior players demand manager appointment
    Thursday, 7 February 2008 16:13
    Senior Republic of Ireland players have warned they will not tolerate any further delay in the naming of a permanent successor to Steve Staunton after their narrow defeat to Brazil last night.

Don Givens, the head of the FAI's selection panel who has doubled as caretaker coach for the last two games, refused to discuss the situation beyond reiterating that an announcement is expected on Sunday.

The officials' dithering has cast doubt over their bid to lure Italian legend Giovanni Trapattoni from his current club Red Bull Salzburg, with Terry Venables rendered a very public second choice.

And midfielder Lee Carsley has warned it is imperative that the situation is sorted out soon so the squad can begin building towards the crucial kick-off of their World Cup 2010 qualifier in Georgia in September.

Carsley said: 'Whoever is picking the manager has had enough time now. There are enough candidates and we'd be better off if we named one of them.

'This might well only have been a friendly but we are preparing for a massive campaign so we need someone in sooner rather than later. Hopefully there will be an announcement this week.'

Meanwhile Reading's in-form midfielder Stephen Hunt expressed his frustration at the extended caretaker regime after once again having to settle for a place on the bench at Croke Park.

'I thought I might start with the way I'm playing at the moment,' said Hunt. 'I'm disappointed. Some of the excuses I was given were a bit iffy to be honest. But we've got to look forward to the new man and the future.'

Reported links with former Derby chief Billy Davies, which the FAI have refused to confirm, fuel the fear that the FAI have dug themselves into a hole and could yet miss out on both of their favoured big-name candidates.

They face enough of a conundrum as it is with general consensus favouring a link with Trapattoni but the players seemingly favouring a move to land former England coach Venables.

Damien Duff, who returned to the side for the first time in 10 months last night, shrugged off the delay. 'I'm not surprised about it at all,' Duff said. 'This is Ireland, after all.'

Meanwhile captain Robbie Keane insists the experience of facing the Brazilians - who clinched victory with a clever 65th minute strike from Robinho - will stand the squad in good stead.

Keane said: 'If you want to improve, you want to be playing teams like Brazil. We have Italy in our group and they're just as good as Brazil. It was a good test for the younger players.'

If anything is going to jepordise us getting Trappatoni it might be the players. :mad::mad::mad: I also think the players have no place in trying to dictate when and who is appointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

You know, I've been thinking about how much of a nonsense this entire things has been from the start.

If you are looking for a football manager, you draw up a list of who you'd like, in order and you asked them if they want the job. If they say no, you go to the next person.

The whole interviews thing is a nonsense. You can quite easily see from their records if they ar eup to the job - unless, of course, you're planning on hiring some has-been who hasn't anything of note on their CV for 10 years.

The FAI, have shown themselves up as a worldwide farce.

I just wish there was something that could be done about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

God, the players are idiots. Too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

You know while I don't think the players should be allowed dictate WHO is manager I don't see anything wrong with them saying they want a manager appointed quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think this sums it all up
    Damien Duff, who returned to the side for the first time in 10 months last night, shrugged off the delay. 'I'm not surprised about it at all,' Duff said. 'This is Ireland, after all.'

---

How does the FAI work? If we as a group decided we wanted to get rid of Delaney, who makes that decision?

Villain wrote: »
    You know while I don't think the players should be allowed dictate WHO is manager I don't see anything wrong with them saying they want a manager appointed quickly.

I think we should wait till summer if Trap wants the job. The FAI could make an announcement on Sunday that its Trappatoni but we have to wait for the Austrian season to end. We have no games between now and then anyway, no get together of the Irish squad. The Austrian league finishes in April? He could be in place for the freindly in May. I would not see the problem with that. Fingers crossed.

Gee, I knew the FAI were screwing me when they charged me for that Serbia game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

darkman2 wrote: »
    If anything is going to jepordise us getting Trappatoni it might be the players. :mad::mad::mad: I also think the players have no place in trying to dictate when and who is appointed.

Agreed. I already said this earlier in this topic. The players should be told to shut up and let the FAI(snigger)choose the next manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

PHB wrote: »
    Gee, I knew the FAI were screwing me when they charged me for that Serbia game

:D

all the same i would like Trapp, even if we had to wait, so long as Brady was his number 2. Trapp could easily keep an eye on the Irish players from his current job and meet Brady every so often to keep abreast of whats going on. Could also easily come over for the week of Internationals, tie up with Brady and teh rest of the team and get a bit of a feel for everything before officially starting. Would take some agreement with Salzburg, but if they're getting to keep him for the rest of the campaign, and won't really be losing much from him, they'd probably agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think we should wait till summer if Trap wants the job. The FAI could make an announcement on Sunday that its Trappatoni but we have to wait for the Austrian season to end. We have no games between now and then anyway, no get together of the Irish squad. The Austrian league finishes in April? He could be in place for the freindly in May. I would not see the problem with that. Fingers crossed.

While I see your point and I'd rather wait for Trappatoni than have the likes of Billy Davies, there is more to managing an international team that picking the team though and the more time they have the better.

Villain wrote: »
    While I see your point and I'd rather wait for Trappatoni than have the likes of Billy Davies, there is more to managing an international team that picking the team though and the more time they have the better.

Yeah but he would get plenty of videos - he would travel to games in England to check out the players - he would talk to them as individuals etc he would have plenty of time for that. If Brady was number 2, as seems likely if Trappatoni is appointed (they are believed to be good freinds), he coud bring him up to speed very fast I would have thought. He would have the whole summer to talk to individual players and setup a compatable training regime for us. Contrary to popular belief his training sessions are believed to be very good fun actually whist serious at the same time. He would put a swift end to the fecklessness that we all know has infected Irish players always before big games with drinking sessions and lie ins etc. No wonder they are not talking up the Italian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

There is a nother series of friendlies in March, but we don't have a game. If we had a manager in place this date would definitely be used for a squad get together and training for a few days, so to say an appointment before May makes no differnece at all is not entirely true.

All that said if Trappatoni wants the job but we have to wait until May, then we must wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The FAI, have shown themselves up as a worldwide farce.
    Erm, this isn't a recent thing.
    I just wish there was something that could be done about them.
    Not a damn thing.
    How does the FAI work? If we as a group decided we wanted to get rid of Delaney, who makes that decision?
    Delaney. Full stop. End of.

Well, there is a ten man committee, that Delaney is head of, but the other nine are his mates. All very cozy.

Delaney got to the top by shafting and manipulating his "enemies" in the FAI. You see, his father, Joe Delaney ex CEO, took the fall for the ticketing scandal in 1994 (Merriongate), and the fact that John is now the CEO is the result of years of political manouverings designed for the family to get revenge. Mafia-esque? Yes.

I recommend anyone with half an interest in irish football to read the book entitled "Who stole our game".

The Failure isn't a government organisation, isn't "by the people, for the people". John Delaney and his henchmen couldn't give a rats ass about you, me or the man in the moon, as long as they hold on to the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

DesF wrote: »
    Not a damn thing.

Just wondering if there has even been a case where the grassroots in a country basically toppled those that ran their organisation. And I wonder if it did happen in the FAI's case, unlikely as that probably is would a newly formed organisation get recognition from FIFA.

Pie in the sky I know. But if it was a government there would have been a revolt ages ago.

luckylucky wrote: »
    Just wondering if there has even been a case where the grassroots in a country basically toppled those that ran their organisation.

Look, the problems with the FAI stem from the fact that the "grassroots" is divided. On one hand is the "National League" representatives, on the other side is the "Junior Soccer" representatives, and there is huge mistrust between the two.

There is no correlation between the likes of the Leinster Senior, the Munster senior and other leagues to the League Of Ireland. Never has been. There is no "natural progression" from the highest of the Junior echelons into the League. Therefore, Junior Soccer has always seen the League as a drain on it's talent (mush like the English leagues are viewed as a drain on the LoI talent I suppose:confused:hmm...) and this has bred decades of mistrust.

Now, on the FAI decision making committee there are reps from both "Sides" and they would block each others proposals out of spite. These divides continue to this day.

The FAI is a horrible organisation, and I agree, it needs to be shaken up.

But.

After Merriongate there was The Cass Report, which recommended change to the structure. FAI promised to implement the guidelines. Did they? Did they fúck.

After Saipangate there was The infamous Genesis Report, which recommended change to the structure. FAI promised to implement the guidelines. Did they? Did they fúck.

As long as the blazers hold on to power, there will be no changes.
    And I wonder if it did happen in the FAI's case, unlikely as that probably is would a newly formed organisation get recognition from FIFA.
    That would take years.
    Pie in the sky I know. But if it was a government there would have been a revolt ages ago.
    The only thing revolting here is John Delaney and his FAI Henchmen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Why are people saying that there HAS to be an Irishman as the manager's number 2???? We're beginning to sound like the bloody English!!?? Who cares what nationality they are, as long as they are good football managers!!??

Did anyone hear that MUPPET Alan Mullery on Sky Sports the other night?? He was complaining about the fact that Capello doesn't speak English to the media?? Capello already explained that he'll speak English to the media when he feels more comfortable with himself speaking it.

Some of the fans and media's "Johnny Foreigner" attitude really p****s me off!!!!!

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Why are people saying that there HAS to be an Irishman as the manager's number 2???? We're beginning to sound like the bloody English!!?? Who cares what nationality they are, as long as they are good football managers!!??

Did anyone hear that MUPPET Alan Mullery on Sky Sports the other night?? He was complaining about the fact that Capello doesn't speak English to the media?? Capello already explained that he'll speak English to the media when he feels more comfortable with himself speaking it.

Some of the fans and media's "Johnny Foreigner" attitude really p****s me off!!!!!

:mad:

Are people saying it HAS to be an irishman though? Im saying id liek it to be Brady due to his success with the Arsenal youth system, his knowledge of the irish team, the respect he holds and his friendship with Trappatoni.

For me the difference in the 2 main candidates is El Tel is like the embodiment of the FAI in manager form, while Trapp is a pro who could leave us as a more attractive prospect for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

i think john delaney gets over the top abuse on this forum. he's doing a brilliaint job in my opinion, and if people like pesimistic anti-establishment desF would give him a little support then it would go along way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Doing a brilliant job of being his sly self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

arent we all allowed our own opinion??next time anyone of yee run a country wide organisation to a certain degree of success, ill listen to your point of view. but until then id imagine its just grumpy old men complaining abouta man and an organisation who are obviously just trying their best to succeed

I do think the things said about John Delanyed are over the top and dwelled on far too much, but to be fair people like Desf are well versed on the whole 'farcical FAI' tridade.

semibluff wrote: »
    i think john delaney gets over the top abuse on this forum. he's doing a brilliaint job in my opinion, and if people like pesimistic anti-establishment desF would give him a little support then it would go along way
    Give some examples to back up this opinion of him doing a "brilliant" job, please.

Are you happy with the three month wait for a new manager?

Are you happy that the FAI is an absolute farce of an organisation?

Come on man, there is no "over the top" abuse going on here.

Why should "people like me" give him ANY support. He is ruining football in this country.

Wake up my friend.
    eirebhoy wrote: »
    Doing a brilliant job of being his sly self.
    And here's eirebhoy, the most staunch Pro-FAI guy on this board(:D) having a go.
    arent we all allowed our own opinion??
    Oh, yes you are, but aren't we allowed to question why you hold it? What leads you to believe Delaney is doing anything resembling a good job.

Because it baffles me.
    but until then id imagine its just grumpy old men complaining
    lol @ old.

I may be grumpy, but I'm not "old" :)

abouta man and an organisation who are obviously just trying their best to succeed
    Trying their best to keep themselves in cushy jobs.

These people don't care about football at all.

I do think the things said about John Delanyed are over the top and dwelled on far too much,

Why? Do you not care that this man is making a circus about the game you love in this country.

Should he not be exposed for the charlatan he is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Bang on! Des has everything off to a tee! All Delaney is doing with the FAI is trying to rip off the countries supporter, I wouldn't be suprised if didn't know how to kick a football. The FAI are a farce and always will be!

• Advertisement

Nailz wrote: »
    I wouldn't be suprised if didn't know how to kick a football.
    Does he look like he knows how to kick a ball?
    The FAI are a farce and always will be!
    That's the sad fact of it.

I guarantee that in twenty years time there will be people posting these same things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I think this sums it all up... *DUFFER QUOTE*

tbh if you read between the lines Im sure he was saying "this is the FAI after all"

As for Hunts comments....well......Givens just really doesnt get along with people called Stephen does he :D Hunt thinks he took the piss, Ireland will never play under him and Finnan had enough of the long and winding road to get the new lad. Its lucky S Reid was injured, otherwise the four of them might have agreed to form a lynch mob.

re the retirements the only awful loss has been Finnan, we can live without the other two. I would hope the new man can bring him and S Ireland back.
    DesF wrote: »
    Does he look like he knows how to kick a ball?

While Im no Delaney fan does it matter? Fergie and Mouhino had rather sh1t careers as actual footballers. And then the likes of Stan had a great playing career but disastrous in a position of leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

I wouldn't be suprised if didn't know how to kick a football.

Whether he does or doesn't has no relevance, its not his job to. His job is to run the organisation that gets footballers playing football, from under 7's on a saturday morning to the boys in green. And the sad fact of the matter is, this is what he doesnt know how to do!

Duffer is right, its just so fcuking Irish isnt it:rolleyes:

Not "irish", just Fai-ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

arent we all allowed our own opinion??next time anyone of yee run a country wide organisation to a certain degree of success, ill listen to your point of view. but until then id imagine its just grumpy old men complaining abouta man and an organisation who are obviously just trying their best to succeed

You do have a good point - but if you take it that the world cup is 2 years away - but Quals are only 7 months away.... That leaves us with about 6 months of organisation instead of 9 or 10 months which would have been alot better!!!

/edit/ my point its - it's delanys fault that we are in this mess - IMO stan shouldn't have been fired until a new manager was available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

jameshayes wrote: »
    IMO stan shouldn't have been fired until a new manager was available.
    Don't think that'd made the slightest bit of difference tbh.

The biggest problem was the procrastination in appointing the 3 wise men. It took Delaney over six weeks to get them into place, and as we all know, the only reason that they're there in the first place is to protect his position should the appointment fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭secman

Semibluff,
    wake up and smell the coffee, this is not a recent fault with the FAI, ask players like Frank O'Neill, John Giles, etc this farce has being going for donkeys years. It is a split organisaton as explained by DesF . Do your homework, read a few books. Have a look how Delaney got to power, and see how he constantly spins. Look at the make up of the 10 man committee, I posted this previously. The simple facts are that the FAI are not alone here, inherently these type of organisations, become corrupt to the extent that it becomes impossible to remove people from power. Several books about on FIFA, Olympic Assoc. A point of example, the President of our Olympic Council of Ireland has been in place for more years than I care to remember and the way the voting is set up, he would literally have to die to be replaced. He almost has a veto, I remember years ago ,someone tried to run for president against him and it was impossible to get in because how it is set up, caused a right uproar to no avail. He travels all over the world and he does not want to lose the power, just like Delaney. Its akin to asking Turkeys to vote for Christmas.

Rant over

Secman

Big News!:p

breakingnews.ie
    Wexford Youths manager backs Trapattoni for Ireland job
    08/02/2008 - 15:46:55

Wexford Youths FC manager and owner, Mick Wallace, has given his backing to Giovanni Trapattoni to take over as the new Republic of Ireland manager.

Italian enthusiast Wallace has been calling for the FAI to bring in a European coach since Steve Staunton's acrimonious departure last year, and he feels that if the Italian legend is available and interested in the position that the FAI would be very foolish to appoint the other leading candidate, Terry Venables, instead of the former AC Milan and Juventus manager.

Advertisement

"I'd like to see Trapattoni get it - he wouldn't be my first choice but he's a lot better than any other names from across the water," Wallace said.

"If it's between Trapattoni and Venables, well there's no contest really. Trapattoni's appetite is greater than Venables's - he's still managing a team for a start - and I don't think Venables has the appetite required for the job. People question Trapattonis age but he's only three years older than Venables.

"There's no doubt that Venables was good, but he doesn't have the appetite for the Irish job now and he was a disaster alongside McClaren for England. Trapattoni is past his best as well but if he gets the job he would be a great appointment as he's a winner.

"Trapattoni is also accused of being too conservative, but Italy and Germany are the two most successful European sides and regularly accused of being too cautious, so conservatism yields results and obviously works," Wallace added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Yes, thats exactly what we need! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

haha, great find darkman!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Delaney drops summertime hint

February 8, 2008

FAI chief executive John Delaney has indicated that the appointment of the next Republic of Ireland manager may not be finalised until the summer.

Giovanni Trapattoni, the hugely-decorated Italian manager who has won ten League titles in four different countries, is the warm favourite for the post.

He is contracted to Austrian champions Red Bull Salzburg until May, but Delaney has declared that the appointment itself, and not its timing, is the most important matter.

He told the Irish Daily Star: “I just want to get the best manager for Ireland. The time aspect of it is secondary to me to getting the right appointment.

“Our next competitive game is next September and there are countries whose managers are going to come to them in the summer. Whether that happens in our particular case I don’t know.”

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=30963

OK so now Delaney's come out and said the timing aspect of it is secondary, I really hope we're not going to have Venables named in a week on the grounds that they had to hurry up and make a decision. Though I wouldn't put it past them whatsoever...

I don't think that is Delaney putting Irish fans through the loop here, he is talking sense. Basically he is saying if we have to wait for someone good, then we should wait.
    I think this may be lininp us up for Trappa, i.e waiting 'till he finished his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

look, i know this is not ideal, but im willing to wait to get the right man. we have been a laughin for the past 2 years with a clown in charge and i dont want it to happen again. billy davies or anybody else would be a disaster. its simple, trappa will be offered it, if he refuses, then its venables. the real trouble then comes if venables gets Pi**ed off and takes something else, then we are left with a 3rd or 4th choice. and the whole process starts again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Mr Alan wrote: »
    In fairness, Keane had one good year at Sunderland when he spent quite a bit of money and now this year Sunderland are really struggling and will be one of the favs to get relegated?! No thank you (even if it could ever happen)

Couldnt agree more.The man has spent big big money for the club he is at and it is going pear shaped for him and blunderland.Shows a real lack of tactical know how.Great player does not make a great manager.Keane for Ireland,dont make me laugh:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

anyone remember Fergies first 8 years or so at United? Couple of 11th places and all with a much more established top flight team. You dont build a good team overnight.

Keane is a pipe dream, he is above this position. Anyone who doesn't realise that is delusional.
    If we could get anyone who is close to that, or pretty much any premiership manager, I'd be extremely happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

anyone remember Fergies first 8 years or so at United? Couple of 11th places and all with a much more established top flight team. You dont build a good team overnight.

therein lies the differences between international management and club management. building a team is an impossibility for international manager, his role is to get the best out of the existing players at his disposal. such a comparison doesn't really hold between the two management roles. if an international manager doesn't show signs of progress within 2 years he simply has failed at his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

hmm, no matter what amanger comes in they're gonna have a hard job negotiating their way through that group. There;s ana ssumption that once we get a decent manager that it'll all slot into place and qualification will be a doddle...just reminiding people...it'll take some manager to get results home and away to Italy, Bulgaria and even Montenegro!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7237440.stm

El Tel has his say.

Trappa interview looms.

Another delay?

• Advertisement

hmm, no matter what amanger comes in they're gonna have a hard job negotiating their way through that group. There;s ana ssumption that once we get a decent manager that it'll all slot into place and qualification will be a doddle...just reminiding people...it'll take some manager to get results home and away to Italy, Bulgaria and even Montenegro!

(Bulgaria fan)
    hmm, no matter what amanger comes in they're gonna have a hard job negotiating their way through that group. There;s ana ssumption that since we got a new decent manager that it'll all slot into place and qualification will be a doddle...just reminiding people...it'll take some manager to get results home and away to Italy, Ireland and even Montenegro![/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement