Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Seems one particularly wealthy fan has decided to bribe the FAI into hiring Trapo with a million euro donation. So there it is: we have such a useless incompetent FA that fans feel they have to bribe them to do the job they are already well paid to do. Im surprised they werent holding a collection for the next managers wage at the Brazil game.

Back of one paper claims that Given, Duff and Dunne have threatened to retire if it is not resolved soon.

I have a feeling we are in for another "we are making progress" announcement on Wednesday.

Even if we do land Trapo.....I dunno.....I think God just doesnt like us. Something will **** it up. He is taking revenge for the way we all stopped going to mass. Trappotoni will die in early September. Givens will be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Your right Shane, now this benefactor thing is a joke.

Oh once again to people who say we don't have the players.

McGeady Ireland Reid Duff

Imagine the damn movement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I'm a celtic supporter and even i think Mcgeady doesn't cut it. Decent, but not top class. Maybe in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Irishexaminer.com

11 February 2008

Trapattoni appointed Ireland coach

By Tony Leen, Sports Editor
    SOCCER chiefs last night pulled off their own Italian job by securing legendary coach Giovanni Trapattoni as the next Republic of Ireland head coach.

The 68-year-old met in Austria last night with the three-man FAI selection committee and agreed in principle to hook up with the Republic once his contract with Salzburg finishes in May.

The deal is a coup for FAI chiefs, who have been under intense pressure over the protracted process to find Steve Staunton’s successor. However, they were determined to see out the process to the end and have said there would be no knee-jerk appointments.

Association chief executive John Delaney will fly out to meet Trapattoni’s representatives in the next 24 hours and agree a contract and financial package for the former Italian coach. He is likely to be given a three- or four-year deal, worth in excess of e1.4m per year, with bonuses.

The FAI’s board of management will meet tomorrow or Wednesday to ratify the nomination of the selection committee of Don Givens, Don Howe and Ray Houghton. It means disappointment for ex-England coach Terry Venables, who was the other remaining candidate.

Former Irish midfielder Liam Brady will be part of Trapattoni’s backroom team and will perform a similar general manager role to that which Oliver Bierhoff fulfils with Germany. However, uncertainty remains whether ex-Italy defender Claudio Gentile will come as Trapattoni’s assistant.

Trapattoni’s Austrian commitments conclude at the end of April, ensuring he will be in place as Ireland manager well in advance of the May 24 friendly against Serbia at Croke Park.

The Trapattoni deal is critical for the FAI. With sponsorship deals either up for renewal or dependent on future success, wooing an internationally renowned manager was pivotal. It is understood the FAI have already had contact from potential investors on the basis of Trapattoni being coach.

The Italian, who turns 69 on St Patrick’s Day, boasts an awesome CV in European football. He won six Serie A titles with Juventus, another with Inter Milan, and won championships in Germany with Bayern Munich, Portugal with Benfica and with his present Austrian club, Red Bull Salzburg.

:) We await the confirmation from the other morning papers. Opps my excitment got the better of me - maybe should have stuck with the other thread - Soz!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Once it's not a smokescreen to appoint El Tel

You can't do this to me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Jumped the gun, not been finalised yet

Something will go wrong

Irishexaminer.com
    11 February 2008

Trap is set

By Liam Mackey, Soccer correspondent
    AT THE END of it all, three words suffice: worth waiting for.

It might have taken something like an eternity, and ultimately it might have emerged more by accident than design, but confirmation that Giovanni Trapattoni will be the new manager of the Republic of Ireland is news that everyone involved in Irish football can wholeheartedly welcome.

You certainly can't accuse the FAI of doing anything by halves. When they appointed Steve Staunton as gaffer of the national team, they took a punt on an almost wholly inexperienced management rookie. In the veteran coach, Trapattoni, an iconic figure in Italian and world football, they have gone to the other extreme. It's hard not to avoid using the words 'feast' and 'famine' as the landscape of the Irish game undergoes another seismic shift. One small step with Stan has given way to a giant leap for Irish football.

That Trapattoni won't be able to take up his duties until May is not a matter of consequence at this stage; having waged a 100 day plus war in the battle to fill the hot seat, another couple of months will make no difference.

September, and the start of the World Cup campaign, is the only deadline that really matter, and Trapattoni will be will acquainted with all the salient issues by then.

He comes trailing a reputation for a defensive bias in the classic Italian mode, but you don't get to his exalted position in the game without developing a winning habit – and to do that, you need to be much more than merely hard to beat.

But that will still be a respectable place to start for an Irish side which, under Staunton and also Brian Kerr before him, often struggled to see out games they should have won. Addressing the brittle vulnerability of Ireland over the last four years ought to be high on the agenda when Trapattoni and his backroom team get down to business.

But as well as tackling the collective, he will need to focus on the individual. Whether Steve Finnan can be lured back to Irish football under a man who will be surely inclined to play him in his correct position remains to be seen, but it is even more imperative that Trapattoni makes one final, serious bid to get Stephen Ireland back in the international mood.

That the majority of Irish players favoured Terry Venables might seem to take some of the surface gloss off the appointment of Trapattoni. But footballers in the Premier League, of all places, should be well accustomed at this stage to working with managers from outside these islands. English football has benefited enormously from the foreign influence in recent years, and there is no reason to believe that the Irish game can't do likewise.

And yet, we shouldn't get carried away. Ireland haven't qualified for a Euro Championship or a World Cup. All that has happened is that a new manager has been appointed and, in the absence of a magic wand, there is no guarantee that he will have the satisfaction of seeing his his new charges overcome his own nation on the road to South Africa.

But all great journeys begin with a single step. And by appointing Giovanni Trapattoni as the next manager of the Republic of Ireland, we might just have taken a giant one.

Meanwhile Mike Kerley has signed a two-year contract as manager of eircom First Division side Limerick 37.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What a coup for Irish soccer if this is true and what a coup for the Irish Examiner if the story is indeed accurate!

• Advertisement

This is it, surely!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

:D Excellent!

Looks good but im gonna hold off commenting until the other papers are online and have something similar. The 'in principle' thing bugs me a little atm but we are obviously very close.

Oh to be a fly on the wall for the meeting with Delaney

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIV4FUwLi7g&feature=related
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

darkman2 wrote: »

Didnt understand a word of it but that was damn funny!

Hope he gets the job, but does he speak english?

I wonder will dunphy actually be happy this time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I don't think the Germans understood a word either. :) Doesn't speak English but didn't speak German when he moved to Bayern and I doubt he spoke Portuguese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

joe123 wrote: »
    I wonder will dunphy actually be happy this time....

Dunphy is never happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Its on RTE now as well, although they are just re reporting the Examiner stuff.

Personally I wont be content until we see him in the thick of it in September or the Norway match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think Tom Humphries piece last week where he quoted Confucius is quite apt here....

"A man who stands on a hill with his mouth open will wait a long time for roast duck to drop in"

I think his appointment (if it turns out to be true) will end up being because of an amazing amount of luck rather than anything the FAI have done.

I just hope Trappatoni doesn't do a Sir Bobby on us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I think his appointment (if it turns out to be true) will end up being because of an amazing amount of luck rather than anything the FAI have done.

Liam Mackey says the same in the Examiner: "ultimately it might have emerged more by accident than design".

How exactly did the Trappa link come about in the first place? I didn't read the original article weeks ago in the Examiner.

• Advertisement

I wish the FAI would give us a snippet of information on this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm not believing a word of this until it is confirmed by at least two other REPUTABLE sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Who is the business man who's supposedly put up 1 million of his own money to secure Trappa? http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0210/fai.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Rumours are that it's Mick Wallace (I think)

Could be right: http://www.breakingnews.ie/archives/2008/0208/sport/mheyidauojey/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Wonder would he take over from Delaney? Has the knac for making money and mad about his football

See Trapattoni is down to 1-33 on Paddy Power now. That has to be the shortest odds on any manager at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

kraggy wrote: »
    I'm a celtic supporter and even i think Mcgeady doesn't cut it. Decent, but not top class. Maybe in the future.

Talk about covering your ass.:D

McGeady is clearly a fantastic footballer, who will only get better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

He looks good against weak opposition in the SPL, has been very poor for Ireland so far. However, he is one of the more exciting prospects in Irish football.

Just to highlight why I think the SPL doesn't give a fair representation of player's talents:

Neil Lennon: Couple of Seasons ago he was captain of Celtic in the CL, now considered surplus to requirements of League 1 Notts Forest. The SPL is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Interesting as it may be, none of this has anything to do with the appointment of a new manager for Ireland.

There is a Celtic thread isn't there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I wish the FAI would give us a snippet of information on this!

The FAI have played a blinder by saying absolutely nothing while the press and bookie frenzy rages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Neil Lennon: Couple of Seasons ago he was captain of Celtic in the CL, now considered surplus to requirements of League 1 Notts Forest. The SPL is a joke.

congratulations on the most idiotic post of the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

FAI meeting at 4.30 on Wednesday according to TO'D.

Big News!:p

breakingnews.ie

Your post about Wexford Youths FC manager and owner, Mick Wallace mightn't seem so random now as he's the guy rumoured to be offering to splash the cash for Trapattoni.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

yeah the fact that he's 36 has no relevance at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Fair enough, although the fall from grace was undeniably swift.

Some guy over on 606 said there would be an announcement later today according to the radio.........anyone else hear this?

Anyway further news:
    Delaney confirmed this afternoon that a board of management meeting of the association will take place later this week to ratify their new man.

Delaney said one name has been put forward by the three-man selection committee and a press conference to announce Steve Staunton's successor will take place after the management meeting on Wednesday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Sorry lads, I'm merging this with the main thread until I see something offical, preferably written in John Delaney's blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Sorry lads, I'm merging this with the main thread until I see something offical, preferably written in John Delaney's blood.
    :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

He looks good against weak opposition in the SPL, has been very poor for Ireland so far. However, he is one of the more exciting prospects in Irish football.

Just to highlight why I think the SPL doesn't give a fair representation of player's talents:

Wish I could say one word but have to use two due a certain Man City player
    'Stillian Petrov'
    Of course could also say Miller (Kenny or Liam pick your choice!)

I was just reading the Irish Daily Mirror there (I didn't buy it I swear!) and they quote Trapattoni claiming that Liam Brady is the one who stirred him into showing an interest. He states that he spoke to Brady who told him, 'Giovanni, it's a beautiful experience'.

Think Liam told a bit of a porky there not that I'm complaining! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Confirmed that Trapp has accepted.

iregk wrote: »

Link?

Yes I would also like a link - thx. Radio, TV? Where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Well this is more of the same in terms of reports, but just another:

http://www.ireland.com/sports/soccer/2008/0211/1202509650009.html

Apparently he met the three wise men last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

You did read the numerous warnings and the sticky, right?

Link please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

links and pictures or it never happened

Delaney interview is on RTE website now.

Delaney interview is on RTE website now.

He definately looks like he's got who he wanted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement