Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

defo looks like trap from that interview

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

plazzTT wrote: »
    He definately looks like he's got who he wanted.

He said the Irish football public will be 'excited' - whilst ive no doubt that its Trapattoni - he said the exact same thing about 'the gaffer' ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Does sound like Trappa is the main man from that interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Of course could also say Miller (Kenny or Liam pick your choice!)
    Miller's having a lot more success in the premiership than he had in the SPL with Celtic. If Shaun Maloney continues to keep his place in the Villa team come back to me and say there's no good players in Scotland or that you can't judge a player playing in Scotland. He's a class act. I never expected Petrov to do great in the premiership but he's the captain of Bulgaria with 70 odd caps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

So lets get this straight. He STILL hasn't named the manager, just more subtle hints?

FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

PSI stop being so pedantic!!!! We have got the most succesful manager in club football, for a country this size it is incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

So lets get this straight. He STILL hasn't named the manager, just more subtle hints?

FFS

Are you surprised?

PSI stop being so pedantic!!!! We have got the most succesful manager in club football, for a country this size it is incredible.

This hasn't been confirmed.

This is the FAI you are talking about.

John Delaney could be "excited" about El Tel ffs.

Believe nothing until you see Trappatoni in a dugout in Croke Park managing an Ireland team tbh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Bobby Robson was pretty successful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

hold up, Trapp hasn't been confirmed? Relax people, there's time for the FAI to screw it up!

Oh ****, Marcotti said the FAI havnt talked to Trapattoni.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I can see it now, Wednesday nights press conference to unveil Venables as the new manager!

I think I would get sick if this were to happen though.

PHB wrote: »
    Bobby Robson was pretty successful

:confused:

He wasn't the manager.

This looks like Brady had something to do with it tbh, which makes a mockery of the "Three Amigo" scenario. This guy wasn't even on anyones radar for the job up until about a fortnight ago, and now suddenly he's a shoe-in. He has no agent apparently, so someone must have made the initial contact.

Trappatoni brought Brady to play in Italy, there must be still some link, and I reckon Brady is a stonewaller for the Number 2 position.

If it was Brady, then fair play to him. In fact, fair play to whoever it was that initiated this whole thing. A proper coup this is.

And now, with this man seemingly in place, if Ireland don't have some modicum of succes, will people finally admit that it's the players who aren't good enough?

I hate the current setup of the FAI, but if the Venables prediction is correct, I'll start calling our players crap, and not good enough, inferior not only to Bulgaria but all the teams in our group. I'll also bow down to Desf.

desf, not good enough in relation to what? I don't think we are ****ing Argentina, but we are as good as teams like Russia, Bulgaria etc.

• Advertisement

I hate the current setup of the FAI, but if the Venables prediction is correct, I'll start calling our players crap,
    :eek:

This makes no sense whatsoever.

If Venables is appointed, it won't change the players.

Oh, maybe you mean the players are crap for wanting him.

DesF wrote: »
    This hasn't been confirmed.

This is the FAI you are talking about.

John Delaney could be "excited" about El Tel ffs.
    I'm absolutely 100% sure if Venables was the guy he was talking about he'd do a lot more to dismiss the Trap questions. He's a clever man. He knows who the Irish public want.

Anyway, Gabrielle Marcotti on RTE:

He was surprised to hear the panel were in Austria last night because his sources told him a couple of hours ago that he hasn't spoken to the FAI yet.

Trap has said he is apparently 95% sure he'll accept the offer.

Brady has secured permission from Wenger to take up a role with Ireland.

Trap is a 35 year old in the body of a 60 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I assume Brady will still retain his position at Arsenal?

It was a dig at the people who say we ''don't have the players''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

After seeing the Delaney interview, there can't be any doubt he plans to unveil Trapattoni on Wednesday. (He definately wasn't thinking of Venables in the interview, but of course there's still time for something to go wrong! I just hope he doesn't read about Iain Dowie being sacked or he'd probably put everything on hold knowing the FAI! :D )
    Trappatoni brought Brady to play in Italy, there must be still some link, and I reckon Brady is a stonewaller for the Number 2 position

Tony O'Donoghue said that Brady was involved in getting the FAI talking with Trapattoni, but that he won't be his assistant. Although Marcotti said that Brady has gotten permission from Wegner to be involved somehow.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I'm absolutely 100% sure if Venables was the guy he was talking about he'd do a lot more to dismiss the Trap questions. He's a clever man. He knows who the Irish public want.
    Yeah, i agree with you.

Still though, this is Delaney we are on about. I'm kinda glad Trappatoni hasn't met the guy, and I hope he doesn't before he signs any contract.

Trappatoni ain't no idiot either, and I reckon he'd see through Delaney's charlatanism.
    He was surprised to hear the panel were in Austria last night because his sources told him a couple of hours ago that he hasn't spoken to the FAI yet.
    Trap has said he is apparently 95% sure he'll accept the offer.
    Who is this Marcotti character? Because this is a bit of a contradiction, is it not?
    Brady has secured permission from Wenger to take up a role with Ireland.
    I hadn't seen any news item before my last post, I promise.
    Trap is a 35 year old in the body of a 60 year old.
    He was born in 1939, which makes him nearly 70.

If Trapattoni is so assured of this job and is a 'shoe in' why dont the FAI ratify it tomorrow:confused: Why wait till Wednesday? Does that not make us vulnerable to a counter approach from elsewhere for him? This IS the FAI though. Stupidity seems to be one of their stronger points.

He is 68. He will be 69 upon taking the job if he gets it. Contract should take him through to 72 but remember Italians live longer then anyone else apparently :D As long as we dont unwittingly end up paying for his funeral im happy! ;)

I'm not being pedantic, I'm being realistic.

I've held my tongue on this for so long and I am going to lose what little respect I have for saying this, but before this whole saga, I actually didn't look that harshly upon the FAI.

I loathe their handling of our national league and I thought that Stan's appointment was a joke, but in terms of finance and infrastructure, they've improved over the jokers we had in the 70's, 80's and 90's. I mean FFS, before Giles we had the 10 man board picking the team!!!

But this, this *waves hands* utter farce, has drained me of any compassion.

Keane was right, as much as I disliked his attitude as a player, he hasn't gotten much wrong about the FAI. You don't "interview" people for an International Manager job. You don't pick someone like Houghton or Don Givens to judge whether someone like Venables or Trappatoni (or for that matter Houllier, Daglish or even Sanchez or Davies) is fit for the job.

What you do, is you look at who is available, you decide which one you want and you approach them, if you get knocked back, you approach your next preferred candidate and so on. The way we set it up, we alienate the really good managers who wonder why these jokers are interviewing them and attract the desperados like Venables.

Even if you MUST go with a panel, what do Givens, Houghton or Howe know about what makes a successful manager? What have they ever won? FFS, I'd rather have Dermot Keeley, Brian Kerr and Damien Richardson (for example). At least these people have won things as managers.

If any club had tried this, their would have been murder on the terraces. Instead we have the usual irish farce. Duff called "Sure it's Ireland".

So as far as pedantry goes, I mean it, NOTHING is confirmed. We were told before, we'd have a world class manager. We got Staunton. Wednesday after the 4.30pm meeting, I'll close this thread and never be so happy to close a thread in my life, but until then, we don't have a manager.

I'm not being pedantic, I'm being realistic.

I've held my tongue on this for so long and I am going to lose what little respect I have for saying this, but before this whole saga, I actually didn't look that harshly upon the FAI.

I loathe their handling of our national league and I thought that Stan's appointment was a joke, but in terms of finance and infrastructure, they've improved over the jokers we had in the 70's, 80's and 90's. I mean FFS, before Giles we had the 10 man board picking the team!!!

But this, this *waves hands* utter farce, has drained me of any compassion.

Keane was right, as much as I disliked his attitude as a player, he hasn't gotten much wrong about the FAI. You don't "interview" people for an International Manager job. You don't pick someone like Houghton or Don Givens to judge whether someone like Venables or Trappatoni (or for that matter Houllier, Daglish or even Sanchez or Davies) is fit for the job.

What you do, is you look at who is available, you decide which one you want and you approach them, if you get knocked back, you approach your next preferred candidate and so on. The way we set it up, we alienate the really good managers who wonder why these jokers are interviewing them and attract the desperados like Venables.

Even if you MUST go with a panel, what do Givens, Houghton or Howe know about what makes a successful manager? What have they ever won? FFS, I'd rather have Dermot Keeley, Brian Kerr and Damien Richardson (for example). At least these people have won things as managers.

If any club had tried this, their would have been murder on the terraces. Instead we have the usual irish farce. Duff called "Sure it's Ireland".

So as far as pedantry goes, I mean it, NOTHING is confirmed. We were told before, we'd have a world class manager. We got Staunton. Wednesday after the 4.30pm meeting, I'll close this thread and never be so happy to close a thread in my life, but until then, we don't have a manager.

Good post, I agree interviewing someone like Trapattoni is a shambles but what? I always had the impression you were one of the stalwarts of this forum and respected in an internet sense.

Good post, but what?

What, what?

If its the bit you put in bold, I meant for saying I didn't think poorly of the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Agree completely with the 'wait and see' sentiments above.

This is the FAI folks and anything can and probably will happen. I posted before that the last few appointments have all been about the preferred candidate being usurped in an FAI special.

The process has been a joke, the association is a joke and hopefully we end up with a credible manager who btw I think Trap would be. Heres hoping his hearing is OK and that he does not think he is being offered the Iceland job!

You got that right :p
    but in terms of finance and infrastructure, they've improved over the jokers we had in the 70's, 80's and 90's.
    Have they really though? Where is their stadium? It's the same people in charge now as it was then.

Delaney ffs. Delaney.
    I mean FFS, before Giles we had the 10 man board picking the team!!!
    Ah now in fairness, most countries had that system, most clubs too. Granted, not as late as ireland did, but it wasn't unknown either.
    he hasn't gotten much wrong about the FAI.
    He hasn't gotten anything wrong about them, as far as I can see. As you pointed out later on in the post, there are other players making noises about the FAI too.

This bears repeating

and again, everyone read this, take it in and believe it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

:confused:

He wasn't the manager.

This looks like Brady had something to do with it tbh, which makes a mockery of the "Three Amigo" scenario. This guy wasn't even on anyones radar for the job up until about a fortnight ago, and now suddenly he's a shoe-in. He has no agent apparently, so someone must have made the initial contact.

Trappatoni brought Brady to play in Italy, there must be still some link, and I reckon Brady is a stonewaller for the Number 2 position.

If it was Brady, then fair play to him. In fact, fair play to whoever it was that initiated this whole thing. A proper coup this is.

And now, with this man seemingly in place, if Ireland don't have some modicum of succes, will people finally admit that it's the players who aren't good enough?

Hang on, are you saying the players aren't good enough or do you blame the FAI or both?

gosplan wrote: »
    Hang on, are you saying the players aren't good enough or do you blame the FAI or both?
    I've been saying for about a year that the players we have aren't good enough.

That much is obvious to me, at least.

in fact, it's probably in this thread, so I'm not doing that again.

I blame the FAI for this farce of a situation, the farce that is Irish football in general, and a whole range of other problems in my life tbh. They are either directly, or indirectly, to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Question about Trappa - is he a stickler for discipline just like Capello? I'm trying to find some more info on the guy but most of the articles online are about the Ireland job. :)

• Advertisement

Des, do you think Scotland have better players than us?

Do you think Ukraine has better players than us?

Do you think Sweden have better players than us?

Do you think Cyprus have better players than us?

You got that right :p
    Yeah, I thought you'd reply, I notice you didn't praise me on knowing the names of LoI, eL winning manager :(
    Have they really though? Where is their stadium? It's the same people in charge now as it was then.
    Where indeed, but yes, I believe they have, on a rating scale of one to ten, going from 0.01 to 1 is a hundred fold increase, they may still be awful, but it is still an improvement.
    Delaney ffs. Delaney.
    Indeed.
    Ah now in fairness, most countries had that system, most clubs too. Granted, not as late as ireland did, but it wasn't unknown either.
    yeah, we ended our international selectors panel for first XI selection 21 years after England and squad selection 25 years after England. "Late" indeed.

Dont you know - we are looking for revenge and this time its doubly personal against Cyprus - for the third time!:)

Do you think Ukraine has better players than us?

Do you think Sweden have better players than us?

I think we're probably on par or above all those teams in terms of players.

We have a collection of strong (Given, Duff - on form, Dunne) to average (everyone else) players by international standards. Well organised and disciplined we could compete. If we qualify, then anything is possible, we certainly are better than many of the weaker federation teams at world cups.

We're woefully weak at the back though. If we don't find a solution in defence, we'll do well to get anywhere.

Yes, they beat france in their qualifying campaign.

We didn't beat either of the teams that finished above us.
    They beat us 5-2, and got a draw off us in the most recent qualification tournament.

I would say that is a pretty good indication of them having a better squad of players, yes.
    Yeah, I thought you'd reply, I notice you didn't praise me on knowing the names of LoI, eL winning manager :(
    Ah you're fantastic... for a ...mod.

Where indeed, but yes, I believe they have, on a rating scale of one to ten, going from 0.01 to 1 is a hundred fold increase, they may still be awful, but it is still an improvement.
    rofl, can't argue with that.

But comparing the brown-ness of the shíte is ridiculous.
    yeah, we ended our international selectors panel for first XI selection 21 years after England and squad selection 25 years after England. "Late" indeed.
    Stop being pedantic :p
    We have a collection of strong (Given, Duff - on form, Dunne) to average (everyone else) players by international standards. Well organised and disciplined we could compete. If we qualify, then anything is possible, we certainly are better than many of the weaker federation teams at world cups.
    Duff was good in WC2002 and for a couple of seasons for Chelsea.

I reckon his "form" was a blip, or a peak, and he has found his level, or is on a downward.

I'd be very, very surprised if Duff is ever as good as he was in 2002. Very surprised indeed. And people need to stop pinning their hopes on him.

So has Shevchenko found his ''level'' Des? Afterall he was good for Dinamo Kiev, and Milan for a few seasons but he has gone down since that.

In fairness your right about Duff.

So your telling me if Ireland beat Italy twice in the next campaign we suddenly have great players?

I know your logic is that its performances that are how a team should be judged, but surely you can concede we have better player than Sweden.

We still finished above Cyprus.

I think we're probably on par or above all those teams in terms of players.

We're woefully weak at the back though. If we don't find a solution in defence, we'll do well to get anywhere.

Are we really better then those Titans of world football.........Cyprus? - Really? How many times have they humiliated us now?:rolleyes:

So has Shevchenko found his ''level'' Des? Afterall he was good for Dinamo Kiev, and Milan for a few seasons but he has gone down since that.
    System at Chelsea didn't suit Sheva under José. I reckon he'll come good. I won't be surprised if he doesn't though.
    In fairness your right about Duff.
    Then why the jaysis are you arguing with me :D
    So your telling me if Ireland beat Italy twice in the next campaign we suddenly have great players?
    Won't happen.

Our new manager is an Eye-Tie don't forget.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

They beat us 5-2, and got a draw off us in the most recent qualification tournament.

I would say that is a pretty good indication of them having a better squad of players, yes.

:eek::D:confused::D:confused:

• Advertisement

Does anyone remember how bad Bulgaria were in the 2004 european championships?

Well the man who managed them is there new manager(has been for quite a while now, seems they didn't want El Tel either)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

He wont be. Cascarino was on the last word with Matt Cooper to talk about Trapps impending arrival just after half six. Cas confirmed to Matt he had literally just bumped into El Tel at the Arsenal match tonight and asked him about the Irish job. He said venables just smiled and walked away and to cascarino that meant to him he was out.

or he could be just plain rude, or it was a smirk of smugness that he got it ;)

I feel sorry for Tel. Its like it was his dream to manage us. That sort of reminds me when my dad asked me how I got on in football trials for Leeds(open)...I just glanced and walked up the stairs praying for people to get out of my face. The look of failure.

Just read through some Italian forums, and with the use of my ol' translator, the general belief is ''Oh crap.....they have good players..trapattoni will be perfect for them';

Duff was good in WC2002 and for a couple of seasons for Chelsea.

I reckon his "form" was a blip, or a peak, and he has found his level, or is on a downward.
    The longest blip I've ever known. :D

01/02 - Fantastic
    02/03 - Fantastic
    03/04 - Fantastic
    04/05 - Fantastic

Finland (a), Georgia (a), Norway (h), Russia (h), Canada (h), Czech Republic (h), Cyprus (h), Faroes (h), Croatia (h), Portugal (h), Italy (h), Sweden (h), Czech Republic (h), Wales (h), Slovakia (h) - Excellent.

By far and away our best player bar Given since the world cup. The only player to consistently play well regardless of club form.

• Advertisement

Just read through some Italian forums, and with the use of my ol' translator, the general belief is ''Oh crap.....they have good players..trapattoni will be perfect for them';

You probably came across the Italian Desf who thinks their players are just about equal to Lithuania though

Lol, I was going to crack that joke.

Linky just out of interest

Had a look at the Salzberg forums earlier but found it difficult to understand........probrably because I dont know Italian. They either think he is a genius or a very stupid man.

Unearthly wrote: »
    You probably came across the Italian Desf who thinks their players are just about equal to Lithuania though

Ya know, sometimes I love this place.

This is one of these times :D:D

Well done sir!

darkman2 wrote: »
    Linky just out of interest

Had a look at the Salzberg forums earlier but found it difficult to understand........probrably because I dont know Italian. They either think he is a genius or a very stupid man.
    I reckon the Salzburg forums would be in Austrian though.

Strewth, throw another shrimp on the barbie, maybe Xavi6 could translate?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement