Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I can just imagine the results that came up when darkman put the Salzburg site through an online Italian translator. :D

(updates with quotes from senior FAI source)

DUBLIN, Feb 11 (Reuters) - Former Italy coach Giovanni Trapattoni will become Ireland manager once his contract with Austrian club Salzburg ends in May after agreeing in principle to a deal.

more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

[QUOTE=DesF;55112934]I reckon the Salzburg forums would be in Austrian though.
    Strewth, throw another shrimp on the barbie, maybe Xavi6 could translate?[/QUOTE]

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

wtf?
    "The intention is we will have a meeting on Wednesday of the board and management to ratify Trapattoni and it is expected he will be announced officially as the new manager on Thursday night," a senior Football Association of Ireland (FAI) source who declined to be identified told Reuters on Monday.

Fúcking Thursday?

Delaney, I heard him on the rayjo not a half hour ago saying he'd be making an announcement on Wednesday evening.

ffs.

FOR FÚCK SAKE.:mad::mad::mad:

I hate the bastards.

I really do.

DesF wrote: »
    wtf?

Fúcking Thursday?

Delaney, I heard him on the rayjo not a half hour ago saying he'd be making an announcement on Wednesday evening.

ffs.

I hate the bastards.

I really do.

I thought I heard WEDNESDAY too???? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Wednesday means Thursday in FAI speak. Just like a world calss management team means a Walsall coach and an old man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

LOL at Des's frustration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

wtf?

Fúcking Thursday?

ffs.

I hate the bastards.

I really do.

Maybe Trapatoni will be there himself?

darkman2 wrote: »
    Maybe Trapittoni will be there himself?

Good point. Don't start jumpin around in hissy fits until we hear what El Trap has to say for himself.

:)

El Trap
    :eek:

If that takes off I'm going to hunt you down and feed you to Delaney. I swear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Had a look at the Salzberg forums earlier but found it difficult to understand........probrably because I dont know Italian.

Or because the Salzberg forums would be in Austrian???

• Advertisement

Yo, psi, I did that joke already.

And did it better, it has to be said.

Trapittoni and Venables and manager and assistant manager respectively - 'El Trap':D

Seriously though this is a dream and we will all wake up to Billy Davie's mug on the front of the morning papers.

Is there such a language as 'Austrian':confused: Thought they spoke German and Italian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Please Baby Jesus let us get Trap signed, sealed and in the bag. One of the most successful coaches, like, ever. And he will be managing us. IF they complete this - they will finally have delivered a worthy and "world class" replacement for Kerr.

Is there such a language as 'Austrian':confused: Thought they spoke German and Italian?
    German only afaik
    Official languages

German

locally also Hungarian, Slovenian and Croatian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Or even German. ;)

They speak German:D

I think Turkey are such a similar team to us.

How did that happen? Lol.

Accept people we have a very good team. Say what you want about Dunphy, if we didn't have the players he would say it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Greece have a better team then us? Turkey? Korea?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

They speak a dialect of German, I always tell my Austrian friends that they speak Austrian, not German.. they seem happy with the distinction :p

They speak a dialect of German, I always tell my Austrian friends that they speak Austrian, not German.. they seem happy with the distinction :p

:D Sorry but stop telling your friends they dont speak German. Hitler was from Austria and he knew how to speak German with an 'Austrian dialect' - They are Geramn but choose to be Austrian. Its a weird world.

Irish Examiner
    12 February 2008
    Trapattoni to agree deal with FAI today

By Tony Leen
    FAI CHIEF executive John Delaney travels to Italy today to tie up the multi-million euro deal that confirms Giovanni Trapattoni as the next Republic of Ireland manager.

Sources say Trapattoni’s Italian representatives will meet Mr Delaney in northern Italy today and finalise terms on a two or three-year agreement. Incentives and bonuses could bring the Italian’s annual salary close to €1.7m.

The 68-year old manager of Red Bull Salzburg greatly impressed the three-man selection committee when he met them in Austria on Sunday evening. Such was his enthusiasm for the position that Don Givens, Don Howe and Ray Houghton offered a unanimous endorsement of his candidacy to the FAI chief executive yesterday.

This provided the green light for Mr Delaney to jet out to Italy today and formally involve himself in the process of finding a new manager for the first time. Delaney will return to Dublin this evening and prepare a recommendation for tomorrow’s FAI Board of Management meeting at Abbotstown.

“I think we are entering the concluding phase in the search for the next Irish manager,” said a smiling Delaney yesterday.

“They have done various interviews over the last couple of days — I am not going to say where they were or where they weren’t because of the

confidentiality that has been around most of the interviews and most of the meetings — but what I do know is that I got a call from Don to say could we organise a board meeting for Wednesday at 4.30pm.”

It is also understood that Trapattoni is closing in on former Italian defender Claudio Gentile as his assistant.

Representatives of the Irish manager in waiting say that Gentile, 54, has responded positively to an approach.

Gentile, a World Cup winner in 1982, was coach to the successful Italian Under 21 squad which lifted the European Championships in 2004 but was dismissed from his position two years later and replaced by Pierluigi Casiraghi.

Ex-Irish midfielder, Liam Brady will be involved on a match-by-match basis with the Italian duo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I reckon the Salzburg forums would be in Austrian though.

Strewth, throw another shrimp on the barbie, maybe Xavi6 could translate?

Yeah they're saying that Trap is acting like flamin' gallah and should be fed to the dingos. Apparently he wants to move to Ireland because he's acquired a taste for Fosters and it's only 3 euro on student nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

still alot of speculation through surrounding this, john delaney was on sky and RTE last night, but would not bow to the questions from the reporter, kept talking about the how we should all be excited and thrilled about an anouncement on wenesday, if the below article is true, then i would agree, i'm excited,

john delaney avoids the question
    FAI set to get their man

Tuesday, 12 February 2008 08:36

The hunt for the new Republic of Ireland manager is reaching its concluding phase - with Giovanni Trapattoni set to be confirmed in the job tomorrow.

Football Association of Ireland chief executive John Delaney is due in Austria today to meet with the veteran Italian's advisors and thrash out the details of his contract.

The FAI have called a board meeting for tomorrow afternoon, when officials are due to meet with the three-man selection panel who were charged with finding Steve Staunton's successor - comprising Don Givens, Ray Houghton and Don Howe - after which they are expected to confirm Trapattoni as the new boss.

'There is a preferred candidate to be the next Irish manager, that will be brought to the board and we will hold a press conference after the board meeting to tell the public who the next Irish manager is going to be,' Delaney told RTÉ.

According to the Irish Examiner, former Republic of Ireland midfielder Liam Brady, who had a successful playing career in Italy with the likes of Sampdoria and Juventus, is set to join Trapattoni's backroom staff as a general manager.

Barring any last-minute problems, the new regime should be in place before the Croke Park friendly with Serbia on 24 May.

Trapattoni's last taste of international management came with Italy, who he led to the 2002 World Cup and Euro 2004.

However, after a shock second round exit to South Korea in the former, he was not kept on by the Italian FA when the Azzurri failed to progress from their group in Portugal four years ago.

His next stop was Benfica, who he led to the Portuguese title, before an ill-fated and brief spell at Stuttgart in Germany's Bundesliga.

A glittering managerial career has also taken in some of Europe's biggest clubs including AC Milan, Bayern Munich and Juventus.

If Trapattoni is confirmed in his new post on Wednesday, it will bring to an end a long trawl for the new Republic boss following Staunton's sacking on 24 October last year.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0212/trapattonig.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I don't know if this has been noted before, but....

'Somebody get me Rex Kramer'!:D

BridgesLloyd66009720_150x200.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

This thread will be locked on Page 99 by the looks of it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

eirebhoy wrote: »

The so called 'farce' looks to be nearing completion anyway. Roll on press conference at 4.30 tomorrow. :)

Take a look at my 'Trapattoni press conference' thread. No lack of motivation with this man! (or dodgy jumpers)

An Austrian reporter on RTE just now descibed Trapattoni as

the most successful team manager in the world

Imagine if this fell appart at the last minute:eek:

Delaney apparently met Giovanni in Austria today. Dont expect to see the new manager tomorrow when he is unveiled but you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

I am delighted with this outcome, i say veneables feels like crap! been waiting months for a decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

John Delaney must still go.

He held out to save the wage bill.

• Advertisement

Pal wrote: »

I'm saying it here and now.

If, after the speculation of the past week or so, that smarmy clown comes into a press conference and announces anyone other than Trapattoni as manager I will go and assassinate him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

If, after the speculation of the past week or so, that smarmy clown comes into a press conference and announces anyone other than Trapattoni as manager I will go and assassinate him.

it would take some sort of serious horrendus total joke of a f*ck up for them to not get traps by this point, not even the FAI could be that incompitent.... actually scratch that, it could still happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I never thought I'd say this but......EL TEL FOR GAFFER!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Well, todays the day, the end, the finale!

Everybody cross your fingers and think good thoughts all day!

Here's a few old quotes from the TrapMaster to get us in the mood.

"There will have to be a bubonic plague for me to pick Di Canio."

"We can't behave like crocodiles and cry over spilled milk and broken eggs."

“I always say that in addition to being a coach, I'm also a priest. I go to each player's room and say who is playing and who isn't. I talk and explain. It's a little like confession.”

eirebhoy wrote: »

it could go on for another 99 pages if they appoint anyone else at this stage, and just get renamed 'the farce'

LOL,
    I'd help you! :D

I couldn't be happier with this appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Pal wrote: »

He held out to save the wage bill.

Head of cash strapped sports association manages finances sensibly shocker. How dare he. :rolleyes:

When Traps is announced this afternoon. I am expecting contrition from every one who referred to this as a 'farce' etc.

haha, thats a classic DesF,

:D

tbh, i'd be preety peeved my self if anyone else was appointed at this late stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Any word on what time the press conference is at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Half four isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Any word on what time the press conference is at?

They're meeting at 4.30, the announcement is being made after this. Today FM earlier said they expected the announcement at 5. They didn't mention an official time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

When Traps is announced this afternoon. I am expecting contrition from every one who referred to this as a 'farce' etc.
    Whether we get Trapattoni or not it has been a farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

But worth the wait :)

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    They're meeting at 4.30, the announcement is being made after this. Today FM earlier said they expected the announcement at 5. They didn't mention an official time though.

i'd say the conference could be a little later on, haven't these meetings gone on for a few hours before

:confused:

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Whether we get Trapattoni or not it has been a farce.

No it hasn't. The FAI didn't rush into hiring a candidate they had questions over, they had over a year until their next competitive game and took their time. This strategy has been rewarded with the most decorated coach in Europe.

All this proves is that once a reputation sticks (FAI incompetence) they cannot shake it even when playing an absolute blinder.

irish-stew wrote: »
    i'd say the conference could be a little later on, haven't these meetings gone on for a few hours before

:confused:

Its the full FAI board meeting, the last before the LoI season kicks off, so odds on a packed agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

This strategy has been rewarded with the most decorated coach in Europe.
    It has been rewarded despite the farcical way in which they've gone about it. Sure wasn't it Brady that made the approach in the first place? What was the point of the 3 man committee then?

Listen, I'm absolutely over the moon at us getting Trapattoni but the FAI have gone about it in their usual inept style.

All this proves is that once a reputation sticks (FAI incompetence) they cannot shake it even when playing an absolute blinder.
    You do realise that the only reason why the 3 man panel was organised was so that Delaney can keep his job if the appointment goes tits up?
    The FAI have their reputation of incompetence for good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What's sickening about Delaney is that he'll make sure he's photographed with the Trap at every opportunity over the next few months showing off the 'FAI's' new appointment when all along he stayed clear of the process of picking a new manager just in case, as someone else said, it goes t!ts up. Like the way he appointed Staunton and raving about him being 'the new Mourinho' and then near the end it was all "ah sure his appointment was nothing to do with me at all. I don't know why everyone keeps mentioning me in relation to it'

Anyway, i suppose today shouldn't be a day of moaning because it is a great appointment.

No, the reason Bazmo they were appointed is because they were ''football men''. Say what you want, but aside from Don Howe(who I don't know) Houghton and Givens were Irish Internationals. Didn't they ask Brady anyway?

I don't get how a chief executive(is that was position he holds?) can be sacked over the appointment of a manager.

Delaney went for Staunton under the basis that it had worked for Germany and to a lesser extent Holland. Look at Slavan Bilic with Croatia! No management experience but his appointment just worked, he managed to get a team of decent/good players playing well.

We waited 110 days for Trapattoni, the appointment could have been made within weeks if we had gone for El Tel, Arie Haan etc.

The FAI have been shown as a farce, but the thing is most organisations are.

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    Anyway, i suppose today shouldn't be a day of moaning because it is a great appointment.
    OK.

NOTHING is confirmed yet.

Trapattoni could still find his marbles.

Delaney could still fúck this up.

As I've said a hundred times, I will not believe the story until I see a manager beside Smarmy Bastard with some kind of Ireland flag or green shamrock held up.

Until I see definitive proof, I don't believe it.

I'm talking poking my finger into his side here. Bleeding hands type stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement