Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

DesF wrote: »
    If Paul Jewell becomes Ireland manager after Staunton, I will carry out a forfeit decided by the posters of the Boards.ie Soccer Forum.

Suck off a line of goats on O'Connell street.

I'm off to petition the Fai and Paul Jewell into taking the job, even just for a couple of weeks till the goat sucking is done.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,130 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

hmm:
    http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2197473,00.html

souness was interviewed for the bolton job last week, this week he's not interested anymore.
    I wonder why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

loyatemu wrote: »
    hmm:
    http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2197473,00.html

souness was interviewed for the bolton job last week, this week he's not interested anymore.
    I wonder why?

Exactly what I was thinking too!
    I doubt he has been offered the Ireland job though. However, I'd be amazed if the FAI have not started contacting idle managers already for interview. So, Souness probably has an interview lined up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

No.

IF

Graeme Souness has told Bolton he doesn't want the job because he thinks he might be getting the Ireland job, then odds are that he's not even going to be interviewed, and has been TOLD he has it in the bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i would be happy with any manager that has international experience. Houllier would be a good option i would say, not sure if we can afford him though.

• Advertisement

Er.

Houllier has a job. He's Technical Director, or somesuch, of the FFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Souness would be a major risk. Now I like the guy as tv analyst, cool and composed.

But let's face it his managerial cv could at very best be described as patchy, and that's being kind. He did well at Rangers and ok(ish) at Blackburn. But failed miserably in his two big jobs.

He left Liverpool in a shocking mess that took them years to get out of, having brought in some of the worst players to ever wear the Liverpool jersey.

His record at Newcastle was little or no better, bundles of cash spent on expensive flops and not an iota to show for it all at the end.

Has a long-held repuation for being very difficult to get on with and has fallen out with players at every club he's managed. Is this really the man we want?

EDIT: Looking at the poll options I honestly couldn't vote for any of them. I really have no idea at this stage. It's not like there will be a queue of top managers lining up.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Souness would be a major risk. Now I like the guy as tv analyst, cool and composed.

But let's face it his managerial cv could at very best be described as patchy, and that's being kind. He did well at Rangers and ok(ish) at Blackburn. But failed miserably in his two big jobs.

He left Liverpool in a shocking mess that took them years to get out of, having brought in some of the worst players to ever wear the Liverpool jersey.

His record at Newcastle was little or no better, bundles of cash spent on expensive flops and not an iota to show for it all at the end.

Has a long-held repuation for being very difficult to get on with and has fallen out with players at every club he's managed. Is this really the man we want?

You seem to be forgetting, or possibly you don't know, but the man had success as a manager in Turkey too. He's pretty much a legend there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

No.

IF

Graeme Souness has told Bolton he doesn't want the job because he thinks he might be getting the Ireland job, then odds are that he's not even going to be interviewed, and has been TOLD he has it in the bag.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! not Souness! No! Please god no!

As a lifelong Liverpool fan I would HATE to see that man manage my country.

Bring care Kerr back! ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'd be happy to have Souness take control for a while.

He's an experienced manager who could get the best out of our young and upcoming players.

L-souness.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'd be happy to have Souness take control for a while.

He's an experienced manager who could get the best out of our young and upcoming players.

L-souness.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

apparently Souness had a very positive meeting with Gartside at Bolton last week and expected to be appointed but since Bolton have made several approaches for anagers already in jobs such as Megson and Bruce, this and a week without furthe communication with Bolton is said to have annoyed Souness who also believes he was just being used as an alternative option to show in any negotiations with other candidates for the bolton job. Hense he withdrew his name from consideration.

I doubt anyone has been offered the job as a decision on Stan is only likely to be made today and there is still a good bit of time before our next match which itself does not matter towards qualification. although the sooner we have an experienced manager the better

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

apparently Souness had a very positive meeting with Gartside at Bolton last week and expected to be appointed but since Bolton have made several approaches for anagers already in jobs such as Megson and Bruce, this and a week without furthe communication with Bolton is said to have annoyed Souness who also believes he was just being used as an alternative option to show in any negotiations with other candidates for the bolton job. Hense he withdrew his name from consideration.

I doubt anyone has been offered the job as a decision on Stan is only likely to be made today and there is still a good bit of time before our next match which itself does not matter towards qualification. although the sooner we have an experienced manager the better

You seem to be forgetting, or possibly you don't know, but the man had success as a manager in Turkey too. He's pretty much a legend there.

I'm aware Souness managed Galatasaray in 95/96 season. He won a Turkish Cup with them but that's all. I believe his 'legendary' status with the Galatasaray supporters stems from his planting a big Galatasaray flag in the middle of the pitch of hated rivals Fenerbahce after the cup final win. The bitterness between those clubs would make Celtic and Rangers look like old pals so you can see why the Gala fans loved him for it, not to mention the fact that they won the game aswell of course. But one Turkish Cup is hardly anything to brag about outside of Turkey.

He also managed Benfica with no success so if you're trying to defend his managerial career you'd be clutching at straws. And we won't even mention Ali Dia. Now for all I know maybe he'd be a success in the Ireland job I'm just saying his cv isn't exactly glittering from all his past successes.

I'm aware Souness managed Galatasaray in 95/96 season. He won a Turkish Cup with them but that's all. I believe his 'legendary' status with the Galatasaray supporters stems from his planting a big Galatasaray flag in the middle of the pitch of hated rivals Fenerbahce after the cup final win. The bitterness between those clubs would make Celtic and Rangers look like old pals so you can see why the Gala fans loved him for it, not to mention the fact that they won the game aswell of course. But one Turkish Cup is hardly anything to brag about outside of Turkey.

He also managed Benfica with no success so if you're trying to defend his managerial career you'd be clutching at straws. And we won't even mention Ali Dia. Now for all I know maybe he'd be a success in the Ireland job I'm just saying his cv isn't exactly glittering from all his past successes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm aware Souness managed Galatasaray in 95/96 season.
    Google's grrrrreat!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm aware Souness managed Galatasaray in 95/96 season.
    Google's grrrrreat!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

But one Turkish Cup is hardly anything to brag about outside of Turkey.

You realise the Irish managers job is not something to brag about? For us to be able to attract a manager who has had the success he has would be great, sure there are better managers out there but none would be even nearly interested in the ireland job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

But one Turkish Cup is hardly anything to brag about outside of Turkey.

You realise the Irish managers job is not something to brag about? For us to be able to attract a manager who has had the success he has would be great, sure there are better managers out there but none would be even nearly interested in the ireland job.

Mr Alan wrote: »

But what bloody success?? :confused: He's done sod all in his managerial career despite managing about 7 clubs and being given plenty of cash to spend at a few of them. If you call a Turkish Cup and a promotion with Balckburn (who were too good for the divison anyway) 'success' then we might as well keep Stan. He did win a double with Rangers alright but that was yonks ago and in another sub-standard league.

Basically you're saying he'd be the 'best of a bad lot', I'm not convinced he'd even be that. He wouldn't be cheap either. It's a sign of how international football in general has fallen that only the very top international jobs (England,Italy,Germany) can hope to attract top class managers. The rest of us are reduced to scouting around down the football managers dole office to see who might be interested.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »

But what bloody success?? :confused: He's done sod all in his managerial career despite managing about 7 clubs and being given plenty of cash to spend at a few of them. If you call a Turkish Cup and a promotion with Balckburn (who were too good for the divison anyway) 'success' then we might as well keep Stan. He did win a double with Rangers alright but that was yonks ago and in another sub-standard league.

Basically you're saying he'd be the 'best of a bad lot', I'm not convinced he'd even be that. He wouldn't be cheap either. It's a sign of how international football in general has fallen that only the very top international jobs (England,Italy,Germany) can hope to attract top class managers. The rest of us are reduced to scouting around down the football managers dole office to see who might be interested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Id give it to Souey just just see the reaction from the "fans" who booed the danish player they mistook for Peter Lovenkrands a few years ago. It would be hilarious

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Id give it to Souey just just see the reaction from the "fans" who booed the danish player they mistook for Peter Lovenkrands a few years ago. It would be hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

So offer us a solution then. Who else on that list has won anything as a manager? I don't count McClaren because it'll never happen. Kerr had some success here but the FAI won't go back there so he's out. Those left are the only realistic targets right now.

As for O'Leary, well wiki sums it up very perfectly -
    His transfer activity in this season included injury prone (Martin Laursen), the homesick (Mathieu Berson), and the Chelsea youngster (Carlton Cole). He attempted to peddle the myth that he liked his teams to play neat football, but his seemingly woeful man-management skills and appaling public relations (as well as some dreadful football) caused increasing disquiet among supporters, many of whom began to express dismay at his apparent inability to take responsibility or show leadership in public fora.

So offer us a solution then. Who else on that list has won anything as a manager? I don't count McClaren because it'll never happen. Kerr had some success here but the FAI won't go back there so he's out. Those left are the only realistic targets right now.

His transfer activity in this season included injury prone (Martin Laursen), the homesick (Mathieu Berson), and the Chelsea youngster (Carlton Cole). He attempted to peddle the myth that he liked his teams to play neat football, but his seemingly woeful man-management skills and appaling public relations (as well as some dreadful football) caused increasing disquiet among supporters, many of whom began to express dismay at his apparent inability to take responsibility or show leadership in public fora.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

.....only the very top international jobs (England,Italy,Germany) can hope to attract top class managers.

....like Steve McClaren :D?

I agree though, anyone looking at the Irish set-up now would need to have a few loose screws to be attracted to the position (and to being accountable to Merrion Square). We might be better off being patient until after Euro '08, see if Hodson or someone experienced becomes available and put in a caretaker for a few months in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

.....only the very top international jobs (England,Italy,Germany) can hope to attract top class managers.

I agree though, anyone looking at the Irish set-up now would need to have a few loose screws to be attracted to the position (and to being accountable to Merrion Square). We might be better off being patient until after Euro '08, see if Hodson or someone experienced becomes available and put in a caretaker for a few months in the meantime.

starman100 wrote: »

Like a Don Givens or a Pat Devlin? I'll pass on that one thanks.

starman100 wrote: »

Like a Don Givens or a Pat Devlin? I'll pass on that one thanks.

• Advertisement

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aidan24326
    starman100 wrote:

You'll note that I said hope to attract :). They could have had a top manager if they hadn't bungled the whole thing so badly, and wound up with their own Supersteve due to sheer incompetence

Xavi6 wrote: »

Now I'll start by saying I'm not a huge fan of O'Leary, I thought he was always a bit quick with the excuses and he'd still have been talking about 'my young lads' 5 years later. In short a bit of a spoofer who isn't as good as he thinks he is.

However the tone of that wiki piece makes it of very questionable neutrality, always a problem with wikipedia. It's one-sided enough to have been written by a disgruntled Leeds fan. I said I don't fancy anyone off the poll list, surely there must be somebody else out there?

It's hardly a comprehensive list, and why put Steve McClaren on it ffs? There's as much chance of me getting the job. I accept there is a serious shortage of options right now, even some of the premiership clubs currently have managers that are far from inspiring and we'd hardly want the likes of Chris Hutchings, Gareth Southgate or Sammy Lee as Ireland manager. I simply can't offer a solution as I'm stumped on this one. I'll accept Souness is the most experienced candidate but his track record is not good.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aidan24326
    starman100 wrote:

You'll note that I said hope to attract :). They could have had a top manager if they hadn't bungled the whole thing so badly, and wound up with their own Supersteve due to sheer incompetence

Xavi6 wrote: »

Now I'll start by saying I'm not a huge fan of O'Leary, I thought he was always a bit quick with the excuses and he'd still have been talking about 'my young lads' 5 years later. In short a bit of a spoofer who isn't as good as he thinks he is.

However the tone of that wiki piece makes it of very questionable neutrality, always a problem with wikipedia. It's one-sided enough to have been written by a disgruntled Leeds fan. I said I don't fancy anyone off the poll list, surely there must be somebody else out there?

It's hardly a comprehensive list, and why put Steve McClaren on it ffs? There's as much chance of me getting the job. I accept there is a serious shortage of options right now, even some of the premiership clubs currently have managers that are far from inspiring and we'd hardly want the likes of Chris Hutchings, Gareth Southgate or Sammy Lee as Ireland manager. I simply can't offer a solution as I'm stumped on this one. I'll accept Souness is the most experienced candidate but his track record is not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i would hate to see souness get the job i hate the man so much. he is not too fond of irish players either

i would hate to see souness get the job i hate the man so much. he is not too fond of irish players either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

redzerdrog wrote: »

he doesnt like irish people? Do you blame him? he married one :O

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

redzerdrog wrote: »

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote: »

kdjac

i didnt say people i said players:p

KdjaCL wrote: »

kdjac

i didnt say people i said players:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I'd love to see Scolari in the job! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I'd love to see Scolari in the job! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Hehe, we can but dream !!

Not sure about Souness - seems to be a much better pundit / analyst than a coach

Maybe the FAI should grab that upcoming manager at ManC - what's his face....Eriksson :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Hehe, we can but dream !!

Not sure about Souness - seems to be a much better pundit / analyst than a coach

Maybe the FAI should grab that upcoming manager at ManC - what's his face....Eriksson :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

"Liam Brady and Graeme Souness" Combo :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

"Liam Brady and Graeme Souness" Combo :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Anyone hear Liam Brady recommending Ron Atkinson earlier? Now there's a scary thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Anyone hear Liam Brady recommending Ron Atkinson earlier? Now there's a scary thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Yeah heard that. Not as bad as Eamo saying he'd take it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Yeah heard that. Not as bad as Eamo saying he'd take it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Ricard sadlier was on Prime Time tonight. Said all players he knows that worked under O'Leary had no respect for him. Said it would be a bad appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Ricard sadlier was on Prime Time tonight. Said all players he knows that worked under O'Leary had no respect for him. Said it would be a bad appointment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd like to see Paul Jewell get it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement