Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd like to see Paul Jewell get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭mcgrailg

I'd like to see Roy Hodson get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭mcgrailg

I'd like to see Roy Hodson get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

aidan24326 wrote: »

He left Liverpool in a shocking mess that took them years to get out of, having brought in some of the worst players to ever wear the Liverpool jersey.

wasnt quite sure if you were on about souness or houillier there!!
    i havnt a clue who should take over, none of the options on the board would make me overly confident, yet i know that they are realistic options and were not in a position to be overly picky and trying to predict where the FAI are going to go next is very dodgey!!

aidan24326 wrote: »

He left Liverpool in a shocking mess that took them years to get out of, having brought in some of the worst players to ever wear the Liverpool jersey.

wasnt quite sure if you were on about souness or houillier there!!
    i havnt a clue who should take over, none of the options on the board would make me overly confident, yet i know that they are realistic options and were not in a position to be overly picky and trying to predict where the FAI are going to go next is very dodgey!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Jesus.

I'd like to see José get it, but that ain't gonna happen.

People, could we please be a bit more realistic about who we are talking about here.

Young up and coming English managers won't be interested.

International class managers, the likes of José, Capello, Ferguson, Rafa, won't be interested.

Anyone with half a brain won't be interested.

Who the fúck would work for the FAI?

Jesus.

People, could we please be a bit more realistic about who we are talking about here.

Young up and coming English managers won't be interested.

International class managers, the likes of José, Capello, Ferguson, Rafa, won't be interested.

Anyone with half a brain won't be interested.

Who the fúck would work for the FAI?

whats peoples opinion of peter taylor? Heard someone mention his name? He done well with England U-21s while back, but seemed quite poor club wise (sorry i dont know that much about him hence why im asking what people think!) stephen kenny is probably available for the job too..............

whats peoples opinion of peter taylor? Heard someone mention his name? He done well with England U-21s while back, but seemed quite poor club wise (sorry i dont know that much about him hence why im asking what people think!) stephen kenny is probably available for the job too..............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The "FAI" need to go out and get someone outside their comfort zone. No jobs for the lads this time. For me, the man for the job is Leon Beenhakker. proven international manger throughout the years, he could come in, shake things up AND have the team play somewhat attractive football.

Not sure whether he is employed or not at the moment though.

Ronald Koeman has been mentioned as well, wouldn't be a bad option. Whats Wim Jansen doing these days?

If its any of the poll choices, I will buy an England jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The "FAI" need to go out and get someone outside their comfort zone. No jobs for the lads this time. For me, the man for the job is Leon Beenhakker. proven international manger throughout the years, he could come in, shake things up AND have the team play somewhat attractive football.

Not sure whether he is employed or not at the moment though.

Ronald Koeman has been mentioned as well, wouldn't be a bad option. Whats Wim Jansen doing these days?

If its any of the poll choices, I will buy an England jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

I would love to see Klinsmann taking the job. He did an amazing job with a boring german team by transforming it into a decent and attacking minded team.

But I know... he would be far too expensive. And afaik he might be in the run for the Tottenham or england job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

I would love to see Klinsmann taking the job. He did an amazing job with a boring german team by transforming it into a decent and attacking minded team.

But I know... he would be far too expensive. And afaik he might be in the run for the Tottenham or england job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Roy Hodgson odds have plummeted overnight.....25/1 into 7/1 !

Hes currently managing Finland, who are 4 pts off the top of a very tight qualifying group. They have played 12 matches and lost only 2, the amount of draws seems to be their downfall.

Opinions anybody?

Roy Hodgson odds have plummeted overnight.....25/1 into 7/1 !

Hes currently managing Finland, who are 4 pts off the top of a very tight qualifying group. They have played 12 matches and lost only 2, the amount of draws seems to be their downfall.

Opinions anybody?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

It must not be O'Leary.

It must not be O'Leary.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    It must not be O'Leary.

We must pray that this article is accurate then :D

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/oleary-favourite-but-little-hunger-to-appoint-him-1203020.html

It must not be O'Leary.

We must pray that this article is accurate then :D

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/oleary-favourite-but-little-hunger-to-appoint-him-1203020.html

DesF wrote: »

You can't put Jewell in the same catagory as José, Capello, Ferguson or Rafa, so please stop.

So far all you've done on this thread is harp on about what the fai will do will not do and suggested the 3 amigo's. Seriously Des?!?

• Advertisement

You can't put Jewell in the same catagory as José, Capello, Ferguson or Rafa, so please stop.

So far all you've done on this thread is harp on about what the fai will do will not do and suggested the 3 amigo's. Seriously Des?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Liam Bradys charisma and energy make Stan look like Mr Motivator. Wouldnt pick him myself, and tbh i would doubt he is interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Liam Bradys charisma and energy make Stan look like Mr Motivator. Wouldnt pick him myself, and tbh i would doubt he is interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

He said last night, he would be interested, but that if he was offered it he would have to think long and hard about it

He said last night, he would be interested, but that if he was offered it he would have to think long and hard about it

I wasn't. Read my post again.

Young up and coming English managers won't be interested. Jewell is in that category. Agreed?

Because to be honest Mr M, I cannot seriously see who is going to take it.

I cannot seriously see anyone of repuyte working for that circus.

I cannot see anyone but a FAI Yesman getting the job.

Yes they have said they will search for the right man, but sure the last time they promised us a world class manager.

I don't see why people believe them this time round?

Blind faith?

I wasn't. Read my post again.

Young up and coming English managers won't be interested. Jewell is in that category. Agreed?

Yes they have said they will search for the right man, but sure the last time they promised us a world class manager.

Blind faith?

Agreed, I still don't think it can be ruled out entirely though, maybe that's ignorance on my part? I realize the job is a poisoned challice, I can only see Jewell taking on a bottom half Premiership team at best all the same.

Neither can I which is why I'm speculating.

Agree again, hence the speculating. I think this is why O'Leary is all but ruled out.

I don't think they'd get away with trying to appoint a person not suitably qualified, I hope they don't prove me wrong though.
    Blind faith?
    Not on my part.

Agreed, I still don't think it can be ruled out entirely though, maybe that's ignorance on my part? I realize the job is a poisoned challice, I can only see Jewell taking on a bottom half Premiership team at best all the same.

Neither can I which is why I'm speculating.

Agree again, hence the speculating. I think this is why O'Leary is all but ruled out.

I don't think they'd get away with trying to appoint a person not suitably qualified, I hope they don't prove me wrong though.
    Blind faith?
    Not on my part.

What do you mean 'get away with'?

The FAI aren't answerable to anyone but themselves.

What would happen if they appointed another Stan?

• Advertisement

What do you mean 'get away with'?

The FAI aren't answerable to anyone but themselves.

What would happen if they appointed another Stan?

I'm not saying that we'd have more Maxi's, but punters have the right to vote with their feet.

I'm not saying that we'd have more Maxi's, but punters have the right to vote with their feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Foppe De Hann the Dutch u21 manager/coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Foppe De Hann the Dutch u21 manager/coach.

I'll tell you what will happen.

The FAI need to sell these block ten year seats, or whatever they call them, in January.

They will appoint a Mr Popular, to appease the people, on a two year contract, he may not be a yesman, but they'll know that there will be no further contract for him anyway.

Mr Popular will either

a. Be brilliant
    b. Be an abject failure
    c. Be in between

(wow, I'm such an insightful bastard at times :))

Either way, the FAI will have their sales and can go back to the same old same old after the contract of this slaughtered lamb is over.

If people are in any doubt as to that's how the FAI operate, look at how Brian Kerr was appointed. The people wanted him. He tried to change how things were done, the FAI didn't like it, so they shafted him.

We may well get Jewell, or some other poor bastard who decides to work for the FAI, but he will be the popular choice, the FAI will look all rosy again, but at the end of the day, they'll get rid.

As for people voting with their feet, you'll still get the same deluded fools in Landsdowne/CP who are there to 'get behind the team'. These people couldn't give a fiddlers fúck who the manager or players are. All they want to do is go on Sky Sports News with their inflateable shamrocks and tell their mates in work the next day about the mexican wave. It was a great atmosphere.

The FAI need to sell these block ten year seats, or whatever they call them, in January.

They will appoint a Mr Popular, to appease the people, on a two year contract, he may not be a yesman, but they'll know that there will be no further contract for him anyway.

Mr Popular will either

a. Be brilliant
    b. Be an abject failure
    c. Be in between

Either way, the FAI will have their sales and can go back to the same old same old after the contract of this slaughtered lamb is over.

If people are in any doubt as to that's how the FAI operate, look at how Brian Kerr was appointed. The people wanted him. He tried to change how things were done, the FAI didn't like it, so they shafted him.

We may well get Jewell, or some other poor bastard who decides to work for the FAI, but he will be the popular choice, the FAI will look all rosy again, but at the end of the day, they'll get rid.

As for people voting with their feet, you'll still get the same deluded fools in Landsdowne/CP who are there to 'get behind the team'. These people couldn't give a fiddlers fúck who the manager or players are. All they want to do is go on Sky Sports News with their inflateable shamrocks and tell their mates in work the next day about the mexican wave. It was a great atmosphere.

I agree with most of your points betty in regards to the quality of manager we can hope to attract, but i think Jewell might be an exception, the reasons he left Wigan, were he felt unable to deal with the daily pressures of being involved in a relegation battle, basically, he didnt seem to enjoy it anymore with the stress getting too much for him. Its not a massive leap to think that maybe an international job might be of interest to him.

I agree with most of your points betty in regards to the quality of manager we can hope to attract, but i think Jewell might be an exception, the reasons he left Wigan, were he felt unable to deal with the daily pressures of being involved in a relegation battle, basically, he didnt seem to enjoy it anymore with the stress getting too much for him. Its not a massive leap to think that maybe an international job might be of interest to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

I think there is one obvious choice if he would be willing to do it- respect from players, very sucessful manager one leage with 2 clubs, won a double and one of the best players of all time- king kenny. your only man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

I think there is one obvious choice if he would be willing to do it- respect from players, very sucessful manager one leage with 2 clubs, won a double and one of the best players of all time- king kenny. your only man

Mr Popular will either

a. Be brilliant
    b. Be an abject failure
    c. Be in between

You said it would be a huge mistake by the FAI if they appoint Mr Popular. Why is this? What type of manager should they be appointing? btw, none of those guys in the poll are Mr Popular.

Mr Popular will either

a. Be brilliant
    b. Be an abject failure
    c. Be in between

You said it would be a huge mistake by the FAI if they appoint Mr Popular. Why is this? What type of manager should they be appointing? btw, none of those guys in the poll are Mr Popular.

Mr Popular will either

a. Be brilliant
    b. Be an abject failure
    c. Be in between

Appreciate all that but I'll take a good manager on a 2 year any time though.

DesF wrote:
    Mr M wrote:
    Jesus.
    People, could we please be a bit more realistic about who we are talking about here
    DesF wrote:
    We may well get Jewell, or some other poor bastard ....

Well?

Mr Popular will either

a. Be brilliant
    b. Be an abject failure
    c. Be in between

DesF wrote:
    Mr M wrote:
    Jesus.
    People, could we please be a bit more realistic about who we are talking about here
    DesF wrote:
    We may well get Jewell, or some other poor bastard ....

Well?

• Advertisement

You said it would be a huge mistake by the FAI if they appoint Mr Popular. Why is this?

Becasue they shouldn't appoint someone to just appease the people, who isn't up to the job, or who doesn't really want the job and just sees it as a retirement home, or a resting place until some top lever premiership job comes up.

Also, if it works out as I said it will, and they appoint a Mr Popular on a 2 year contract, then shaft him, then the national team will have seen another 2 wasted years.

btw, none of those guys in the poll are Mr Popular.

Look at the poll results.

the majority want 'someone else' that someone else seemingly being Paul Jewell. Mr Popular. :)

You said it would be a huge mistake by the FAI if they appoint Mr Popular. Why is this?

Becasue they shouldn't appoint someone to just appease the people, who isn't up to the job, or who doesn't really want the job and just sees it as a retirement home, or a resting place until some top lever premiership job comes up.

Also, if it works out as I said it will, and they appoint a Mr Popular on a 2 year contract, then shaft him, then the national team will have seen another 2 wasted years.

btw, none of those guys in the poll are Mr Popular.

Look at the poll results.

the majority want 'someone else' that someone else seemingly being Paul Jewell. Mr Popular. :)

Yes, true, but after this good manager starts to want to do things in his 'good' way, the FAI will have their money, and then appoint another yesman.
    Well?
    What?

I never said it shouldn't be Jewell, or someone like him, as a purely football choice.

I simply said I couldn't see him possibly being interested in it. So therefore people need to re-think their options.

Yes, true, but after this good manager starts to want to do things in his 'good' way, the FAI will have their money, and then appoint another yesman.
    Well?
    What?

I never said it shouldn't be Jewell, or someone like him, as a purely football choice.

I simply said I couldn't see him possibly being interested in it. So therefore people need to re-think their options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Tripple Trouble

Giles,Dunphy and Brady, what a team

I honestly think they would do a fantastic job.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement