Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Tripple Trouble

Giles,Dunphy and Brady, what a team

I honestly think they would do a fantastic job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

John Delaney is still in his job. He was the FAI employee who made the mistake. I'm not pleased that he is still in a position to adversely affect soccer in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

John Delaney is still in his job. He was the FAI employee who made the mistake. I'm not pleased that he is still in a position to adversely affect soccer in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

co adriaanse or louis van gaal if we offered decent money.del bosque is currently unemployed i think(open to correction on that).Vialli is also unemployed

Carlos Bianchi is also available,why is the net solely being directed towrds british managers.The fai have money have to spend decent money and get a world class manager this time.

co adriaanse or louis van gaal if we offered decent money.del bosque is currently unemployed i think(open to correction on that).Vialli is also unemployed

Carlos Bianchi is also available,why is the net solely being directed towrds british managers.The fai have money have to spend decent money and get a world class manager this time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

DesF wrote: »
    Yes, true, but after this good manager starts to want to do things in his 'good' way, the FAI will have their money, and then appoint another yesman.

What?

I never said it shouldn't be Jewell, or someone like him, as a purely football choice.

I simply said I couldn't see him possibly being interested in it. So therefore people need to re-think their options.

Fairly nuff :)

Thanks for the opinions

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Yes, true, but after this good manager starts to want to do things in his 'good' way, the FAI will have their money, and then appoint another yesman.

What?

I never said it shouldn't be Jewell, or someone like him, as a purely football choice.

I simply said I couldn't see him possibly being interested in it. So therefore people need to re-think their options.

Fairly nuff :)

Thanks for the opinions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

If people are in any doubt as to that's how the FAI operate, look at how Brian Kerr was appointed. The people wanted him. He tried to change how things were done, the FAI didn't like it, so they shafted him.
    Kerr didn't exactly help himself either with his media blackout.

If people are in any doubt as to that's how the FAI operate, look at how Brian Kerr was appointed. The people wanted him. He tried to change how things were done, the FAI didn't like it, so they shafted him.
    Kerr didn't exactly help himself either with his media blackout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

raven136 wrote: »
    why is the net solely being directed towrds british managers.The fai have money have to spend decent money and get a world class manager this time.

i honestly think some of the present players wont listen to a "foreign" coach who will try to be too technical, sure they wouldnt listen to brian kerr when he wanted them to study videos of other teams etc, they think they know it all. i cant think of anyone who would realistically consider working with ireland who i would be confident of doing a good job. seen as don givens is supposedly in charge of the remaining fixture looks like we have plenty of time to speculate. maybe martin jol and gareth southgate will be unemployed by then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

raven136 wrote: »
    why is the net solely being directed towrds british managers.The fai have money have to spend decent money and get a world class manager this time.

i honestly think some of the present players wont listen to a "foreign" coach who will try to be too technical, sure they wouldnt listen to brian kerr when he wanted them to study videos of other teams etc, they think they know it all. i cant think of anyone who would realistically consider working with ireland who i would be confident of doing a good job. seen as don givens is supposedly in charge of the remaining fixture looks like we have plenty of time to speculate. maybe martin jol and gareth southgate will be unemployed by then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

We all know the FAI will mess this up. They (reportedly) won't be involved in the decision. They are bringing in an "outside consultant" to pick for them. I can see it now. "WE didn't pick him. It's not OUR fault."

Excuses already.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

We all know the FAI will mess this up. They (reportedly) won't be involved in the decision. They are bringing in an "outside consultant" to pick for them. I can see it now. "WE didn't pick him. It's not OUR fault."

Excuses already.

Prufrock wrote: »

Excuses already.
    I was thinking the exact same thing myself. Wonder who they'll get to pick the new manager?

Prufrock wrote: »

Excuses already.
    I was thinking the exact same thing myself. Wonder who they'll get to pick the new manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

BaZmO* wrote: »

I heard today from a mate in the FAI that they are in talks with RTE to stage a one off TV Xmas special which will have all the potential candidates do a dance off and the winner will be selected by text vote !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I heard today from a mate in the FAI that they are in talks with RTE to stage a one off TV Xmas special which will have all the potential candidates do a dance off and the winner will be selected by text vote !

the fai could use a former chief executive of a big club to headhunt a new manager.David dein springs to mind

the fai could use a former chief executive of a big club to headhunt a new manager.David dein springs to mind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Haven't they done that before? Get an outsider to pick a new manager for them. i.e. Brian Hamilton picked Brian Kerr.

Me, i don't want Souness, Keegan, Dalglish, Megson or anyone else who has a weak managerial record.

Yes Souness and and Dalglish have won things in the past, but this is offset by the poor spells they had at other clubs.

That is to say, why not get someone who has had mostly success instead of someone who has had some success.

Cause when it boils downt to it, them sorts are just as likely (if not more) to fail as succeed.

Don't settle for second best or for someone who COULD do a good job.

Only settle for someone who WILL do a good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Haven't they done that before? Get an outsider to pick a new manager for them. i.e. Brian Hamilton picked Brian Kerr.

Me, i don't want Souness, Keegan, Dalglish, Megson or anyone else who has a weak managerial record.

Yes Souness and and Dalglish have won things in the past, but this is offset by the poor spells they had at other clubs.

That is to say, why not get someone who has had mostly success instead of someone who has had some success.

Cause when it boils downt to it, them sorts are just as likely (if not more) to fail as succeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

See my sig!

See my sig!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

kraggy wrote: »

So who then?

rafa benitez? capello? Lippi? Hiddink? wenger? mourinho?

ya need to get a grip mate, the kind of candidate your are refering to isnt even a possibility for the job.

Its the FAI and Ireland, not Manchester United/Liverpool/England/Brazil we are looking for a manager for.

And by the way, dalglishs experience is second to none and he is a top top top manager, only reason he might not be the best idea is because of the amount of time he has been out of the game, nothing to do with him not being sucessful enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

kraggy wrote: »

So who then?

ya need to get a grip mate, the kind of candidate your are refering to isnt even a possibility for the job.

Its the FAI and Ireland, not Manchester United/Liverpool/England/Brazil we are looking for a manager for.

And by the way, dalglishs experience is second to none and he is a top top top manager, only reason he might not be the best idea is because of the amount of time he has been out of the game, nothing to do with him not being sucessful enough.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    So who then?

who was wenger managing before he joined arsenal?was it japan or in japan

decent money brings out class,simply as

Mr Alan wrote: »
    So who then?

who was wenger managing before he joined arsenal?was it japan or in japan

decent money brings out class,simply as

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Liam Brady wouldn't be too bad, although it'd probably be wrong place wrong time. His name was mentioned briefly this morning. Realistically not happening in my opinion.

Souness would probably be the best of the available lot - serious guy who shouldn't have any preconceived loyalties to certain individuals.

I also for what it's worth think that Brian Kerr wasn't bad at all.

If we want to clear this sorry mess up it's essential too that John Delaney and his cohort resign (seen as we're paying them a salary and they can't do their job in selecting a manager), and I think Robbie Keane's captaincy should be examined again. He's not performing, and in my opinion his glory days for Ireland were a long time ago.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Liam Brady wouldn't be too bad, although it'd probably be wrong place wrong time. His name was mentioned briefly this morning. Realistically not happening in my opinion.

Souness would probably be the best of the available lot - serious guy who shouldn't have any preconceived loyalties to certain individuals.

I also for what it's worth think that Brian Kerr wasn't bad at all.

If we want to clear this sorry mess up it's essential too that John Delaney and his cohort resign (seen as we're paying them a salary and they can't do their job in selecting a manager), and I think Robbie Keane's captaincy should be examined again. He's not performing, and in my opinion his glory days for Ireland were a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Stan the man! It'll be his last duties as "da Gaffer" in order to get his big payout:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Stan the man! It'll be his last duties as "da Gaffer" in order to get his big payout:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

This just got sent around the office:

http://www.irishjobs.ie/survey/topjob_survey1.asp

Doesn't say when results will be out, just says:
    Thank you for taking part in our survey. Results will be posted onto the website shortly

after you vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

This just got sent around the office:

http://www.irishjobs.ie/survey/topjob_survey1.asp

Doesn't say when results will be out, just says:
    Thank you for taking part in our survey. Results will be posted onto the website shortly

after you vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Big Ron is a good shout.

Big Ron is a good shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Savman wrote: »
    Big Ron is a good shout.
    Big Ron is an excellent shout tbh.

That's who it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Big Ron is a good shout.
    Big Ron is an excellent shout tbh.

That's who it should be.

Big Ron might be a little long out of the game imo, I think the same goes for George Graham. I think we should hang tough until all the European Championship is over next year and get an expeirenced European International manager, I'm sure there will be a few leaving their countries after the championship.

I would go for the Greek or Polish manager.

Big Ron might be a little long out of the game imo, I think the same goes for George Graham. I think we should hang tough until all the European Championship is over next year and get an expeirenced European International manager, I'm sure there will be a few leaving their countries after the championship.

I would go for the Greek or Polish manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,130 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Big Ron is a good shout.

at least we'd never see Clinton Morrisson in an irish jersey again...

anyway, Ron just got himself a new job:
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=473703&cc=5739

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,130 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Big Ron is a good shout.

anyway, Ron just got himself a new job:
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=473703&cc=5739

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Whats the odds on Bobby Robson being in charge for the Wales game?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Melion wrote: »
    Zero. Don Givens will be in charge with Bobby acting as a consultant. Now that's not to say that Bobby won't be picking the team but it'll be Givens that will be "technically" in charge.

Melion wrote: »
    Zero. Don Givens will be in charge with Bobby acting as a consultant. Now that's not to say that Bobby won't be picking the team but it'll be Givens that will be "technically" in charge.

loyatemu wrote: »
    A common misconception about Ron Atkinson, probably due to that incident.
    Truth is he's not like that at all and would be keen to come back and prove a point. A great character too.

I started watching Villa when Big Ron was in charge and at the time we had the Irish contingency of McGrath, Townsend, Staunton & Houghton all playing regularly and he gave them a decent chance when there were not many Irish players in the Prem.

loyatemu wrote: »
    A common misconception about Ron Atkinson, probably due to that incident.
    Truth is he's not like that at all and would be keen to come back and prove a point. A great character too.

I started watching Villa when Big Ron was in charge and at the time we had the Irish contingency of McGrath, Townsend, Staunton & Houghton all playing regularly and he gave them a decent chance when there were not many Irish players in the Prem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

We need a manager who knows how to get the most out of a group of players and gets results, even if it means winning ugly. I think we need some one from outside Ireland and the UK who is going to pick a team based on form, not on player reputation. I'd like to see some like Hiddink or Rehhagel get the job but that seems unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

We need a manager who knows how to get the most out of a group of players and gets results, even if it means winning ugly. I think we need some one from outside Ireland and the UK who is going to pick a team based on form, not on player reputation. I'd like to see some like Hiddink or Rehhagel get the job but that seems unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

What about the Dutch Under 21 manager Froppe De Haan? He was mentioned in The Irish Times this morning as a possibility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foppe_de_Haan

He previously managed Herenven in Holland for 21 years bringing them back into the Dutch top division and the Champions League with a second place finish in 1999. As Dutch Under 21 manager he has won both the 2006 and 2007 Under 21 European tournaments. And he is Dutch so is most likely an excellent coach and he has some pedigree of achieveing something in the game.

Just putting it out there to gauge ppl's opinions. Not sure if he would be my first choice but he could be the way to go. I think Souness will prob end up getting it though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement