Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

What about the Dutch Under 21 manager Froppe De Haan? He was mentioned in The Irish Times this morning as a possibility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foppe_de_Haan

He previously managed Herenven in Holland for 21 years bringing them back into the Dutch top division and the Champions League with a second place finish in 1999. As Dutch Under 21 manager he has won both the 2006 and 2007 Under 21 European tournaments. And he is Dutch so is most likely an excellent coach and he has some pedigree of achieveing something in the game.

Just putting it out there to gauge ppl's opinions. Not sure if he would be my first choice but he could be the way to go. I think Souness will prob end up getting it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Big Ron has just said on Newstalk that he'd be interested if THEY give him a call. Philip Troussier is also interested it seems.

Atkinson would be an interesting choice.

Mike.

Big Ron has just said on Newstalk that he'd be interested if THEY give him a call. Philip Troussier is also interested it seems.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Mr Alan wrote: »
    So who then?

rafa benitez? capello? Lippi? Hiddink? wenger? mourinho?

ya need to get a grip mate, the kind of candidate your are refering to isnt even a possibility for the job.

Its the FAI and Ireland, not Manchester United/Liverpool/England/Brazil we are looking for a manager for.

And by the way, dalglishs experience is second to none and he is a top top top manager, only reason he might not be the best idea is because of the amount of time he has been out of the game, nothing to do with him not being sucessful enough.

sure they can do no wrong if they have any liverpool links eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Mr Alan wrote: »
    So who then?

rafa benitez? capello? Lippi? Hiddink? wenger? mourinho?

ya need to get a grip mate, the kind of candidate your are refering to isnt even a possibility for the job.

Its the FAI and Ireland, not Manchester United/Liverpool/England/Brazil we are looking for a manager for.

And by the way, dalglishs experience is second to none and he is a top top top manager, only reason he might not be the best idea is because of the amount of time he has been out of the game, nothing to do with him not being sucessful enough.

sure they can do no wrong if they have any liverpool links eh?

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

Troussier is apparently known as Omar Troussier now. He converted to Islam when he was the coach of Morroco!

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

Troussier is apparently known as Omar Troussier now. He converted to Islam when he was the coach of Morroco!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

woooo232 wrote: »
    What about the Dutch Under 21 manager Froppe De Haan? He was mentioned in The Irish Times this morning as a possibility.

He previously managed Herenven in Holland for 21 years bringing them back into the Dutch top division and the Champions League with a second place finish in 1999. As Dutch Under 21 manager he has won both the 2006 and 2007 Under 21 European tournaments. And he is Dutch so is most likely an excellent coach and he has some pedigree of achieveing something in the game.

Just putting it out there to gauge ppl's opinions. Not sure if he would be my first choice but he could be the way to go. I think Souness will prob end up getting it though.

now this is the type of person we should be looking for. some degree of success, familiar with the international scene and would perhaps see the RoI job a step up, not a sideways one/career saver/retirement gig.

fup your Sounesses and Atkinsons, this is was the headhunting should involve, going out and actively looking at all possibilites no matter how obscure and actually looking for people who meet the profile, not those who have a high profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

now this is the type of person we should be looking for. some degree of success, familiar with the international scene and would perhaps see the RoI job a step up, not a sideways one/career saver/retirement gig.

fup your Sounesses and Atkinsons, this is was the headhunting should involve, going out and actively looking at all possibilites no matter how obscure and actually looking for people who meet the profile, not those who have a high profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I think coach Omar has a nice ring to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I think coach Omar has a nice ring to it.

Whoever gets the gig will be a house-hold name (in footie circles). A star name will keep the plastic hammer merchants happy for a while.

Mike.

Whoever gets the gig will be a house-hold name (in footie circles). A star name will keep the plastic hammer merchants happy for a while.

Mike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

BBC say Omar/Troussier is interested
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7060450.stm

BBC say Omar/Troussier is interested
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7060450.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm surprised at all this support for Big Ron. A great manager in his day but he hasn't done anything in years bar star in a reality TV show, make a racial slur and get involved with non-league clubs (and even that isn't in a managerial capacity). It'd be a massive step in the wrong direction to appoint him.

I'm surprised at all this support for Big Ron. A great manager in his day but he hasn't done anything in years bar star in a reality TV show, make a racial slur and get involved with non-league clubs (and even that isn't in a managerial capacity). It'd be a massive step in the wrong direction to appoint him.

just internationally he has managed South Africa, Morroco, Japan, Nigeria, the Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso and Qatar

edit: Troussier that is

just internationally he has managed South Africa, Morroco, Japan, Nigeria, the Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso and Qatar

Thats proberly why he should'nt be hired. He'll turn up and take the money, get sacked/resign and move on to the next honey pot.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Thats proberly why he should'nt be hired. He'll turn up and take the money, get sacked/resign and move on to the next honey pot.

Mike.

Troussier has managed them, Ron doesn't like them! :D

Troussier has managed them, Ron doesn't like them! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yeah he's had a weird few years, but it's his personality I think we could do with. Someone who can impose himself on the players and handle the fans, press and pundits. Atkinson is a lively character and would be a good a shout as any of the other names being mentioned IMO.
    I can't believe O'dreary's name is even being mentioned, let alone as a favourite.

Let's be honest, there aren't many suitable candidates that we can really get so we'll have to compromise somewhere.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yeah he's had a weird few years, but it's his personality I think we could do with. Someone who can impose himself on the players and handle the fans, press and pundits. Atkinson is a lively character and would be a good a shout as any of the other names being mentioned IMO.
    I can't believe O'dreary's name is even being mentioned, let alone as a favourite.

Let's be honest, there aren't many suitable candidates that we can really get so we'll have to compromise somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

peter reid anyone???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

peter reid anyone???

redzerdrog wrote: »
    peter reid anyone???

its about time he was linked to the job hes been linked to every other job going for the past few years. dont think hes too eager to get back into management tbh

redzerdrog wrote: »
    peter reid anyone???

its about time he was linked to the job hes been linked to every other job going for the past few years. dont think hes too eager to get back into management tbh

• Advertisement

Savman wrote: »

Well I draw the line at the circus that is Big Ron Atkinson. He's all 'bling' and fake tan. No thanks.
    redzerdrog wrote:
    peter reid anyone???

Never liked him at City, though I would like an opportunity to sing this chant (well an Irish version anyway)

(To "Yellow Submarine") -

"In a town, called Sunderland, there lives a man with a monkey's heid,
    And they called him Peter Reid,
    He peels bananas with his feet,
    Peter Reid peels bananas with his feet, bananas with his feet, bananas with his feet......"

Appoint him right now!

Seriously though we need someone with a bit of flair and passion for the game. Something new and exciting. Not someone the current squad have played with/worked with at club level. Get someone that will have the fans excited to get behind the team again.

Savman wrote: »

Well I draw the line at the circus that is Big Ron Atkinson. He's all 'bling' and fake tan. No thanks.
    redzerdrog wrote:
    peter reid anyone???

Never liked him at City, though I would like an opportunity to sing this chant (well an Irish version anyway)

(To "Yellow Submarine") -

"In a town, called Sunderland, there lives a man with a monkey's heid,
    And they called him Peter Reid,
    He peels bananas with his feet,
    Peter Reid peels bananas with his feet, bananas with his feet, bananas with his feet......"

Appoint him right now!

Seriously though we need someone with a bit of flair and passion for the game. Something new and exciting. Not someone the current squad have played with/worked with at club level. Get someone that will have the fans excited to get behind the team again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Names I'm happy to see mentioned:

Souness, Troussier, Jewell, de Haan

Names I'm unhappy to see mentioned:

Aldridge, O'Leary, Atkinson any recent player not in Management (ie. Moran).

I'm unsure about Brady..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Names I'm happy to see mentioned:

Souness, Troussier, Jewell, de Haan

Names I'm unhappy to see mentioned:

Aldridge, O'Leary, Atkinson any recent player not in Management (ie. Moran).

I'm unsure about Brady..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

DesF wrote: »
    Big Ron is an excellent shout tbh.

That's who it should be.
    Jaysus Des. I want a real coach not someone like Ron who's time on the training ground will be spent having a laugh and a joke. I read Strachan's autobiography and Ron comes across as anything but a coach. He's an old style manager. Martin O'Neill doesn't spent a lot of time on the training ground but he's part of a team along with John Robertson and Steve Walford.

DesF wrote: »
    Big Ron is an excellent shout tbh.

That's who it should be.
    Jaysus Des. I want a real coach not someone like Ron who's time on the training ground will be spent having a laugh and a joke. I read Strachan's autobiography and Ron comes across as anything but a coach. He's an old style manager. Martin O'Neill doesn't spent a lot of time on the training ground but he's part of a team along with John Robertson and Steve Walford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

How about Martin Jol? His time might be up at Tottenham soon enough and he seems to have a good relationship with Keane.

How about Martin Jol? His time might be up at Tottenham soon enough and he seems to have a good relationship with Keane.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Jaysus Des. I want a real coach not someone like Ron who's time on the training ground will be spent having a laugh.
    I hope you're not basing that view on that Big Ron Manager thing, that was just a TV show. Atkinson is (or was) a decent manager.

I don't think any of us could speculate as to his methods on the training ground but he must have a clue what he's at because at Villa he pushed Man U all the way for the league, eventually finishing second in what was Villa's best season in recent times.

He also won a coupla things at ManU before that IIRC although I will admit lately he's not been around much.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Jaysus Des. I want a real coach not someone like Ron who's time on the training ground will be spent having a laugh.
    I hope you're not basing that view on that Big Ron Manager thing, that was just a TV show. Atkinson is (or was) a decent manager.

I don't think any of us could speculate as to his methods on the training ground but he must have a clue what he's at because at Villa he pushed Man U all the way for the league, eventually finishing second in what was Villa's best season in recent times.

He also won a coupla things at ManU before that IIRC although I will admit lately he's not been around much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

jaysus Big Ron hasn't managed in 8 years........

anyway knowing the FAI they'll probably end up hiring somebody like Roddy Collins....

... actually that would be gas :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

jaysus Big Ron hasn't managed in 8 years........

anyway knowing the FAI they'll probably end up hiring somebody like Roddy Collins....

... actually that would be gas :)

A piece from Strachan's book:

It is well known that Ron's approach to coaching is rather laid back. He does not have a lot of time for basic technical work on the training ground, the numerous drills to improve the fitness, organisation and shape of the team. He much prefers to play practice matches, especially when he can take part in them. There is an element of the Walter Mitty in all of us in these training games, but that is particularly true of Ron. The games in which he was involved in tended to be a bit like the TV programme Stars in Their Eyes, with Ron attempting to impersonate someone like Franz Beckenbauer, Pelé or Maradona and inviting his players to guess his identity.

He goes to say that his time as assistant to Ron was frustrating as he spent a lot of time putting out cones, etc. only for Ron to come out and scrap it all for a practice match. :)

A piece from Strachan's book:

It is well known that Ron's approach to coaching is rather laid back. He does not have a lot of time for basic technical work on the training ground, the numerous drills to improve the fitness, organisation and shape of the team. He much prefers to play practice matches, especially when he can take part in them. There is an element of the Walter Mitty in all of us in these training games, but that is particularly true of Ron. The games in which he was involved in tended to be a bit like the TV programme Stars in Their Eyes, with Ron attempting to impersonate someone like Franz Beckenbauer, Pelé or Maradona and inviting his players to guess his identity.

He goes to say that his time as assistant to Ron was frustrating as he spent a lot of time putting out cones, etc. only for Ron to come out and scrap it all for a practice match. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It's on the news that Troussier has in fact declared an interest.

Go and get him now.

Has to be done.

No feckin' head hunters. No waiting around.

Get the man in the job now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It's on the news that Troussier has in fact declared an interest.

Go and get him now.

Has to be done.

No feckin' head hunters. No waiting around.

Get the man in the job now.

I'm not sure about Troussier. Yes he has an impressive pedigree but so had Berti Vogts.

I'm not sure about Troussier. Yes he has an impressive pedigree but so had Berti Vogts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

He doesn't really come across as someone who can organise a defence, something which I look for first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

He doesn't really come across as someone who can organise a defence, something which I look for first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'd say Jewell or Trousier. We haven't a very impressive list tbh.

I think someone like Mark Hughes would be ideal (and yes I am hugely biased). Hughes did a great job with Wales but I can't see him leaving Blackburn.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement