Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'd say Jewell or Trousier. We haven't a very impressive list tbh.

I think someone like Mark Hughes would be ideal (and yes I am hugely biased). Hughes did a great job with Wales but I can't see him leaving Blackburn.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

DesF wrote: »
    It's on the news that Troussier has in fact declared an interest.

Go and get him now.

Has to be done.

No feckin' head hunters. No waiting around.

Get the man in the job now.

I agree, no point in appointing a panel to find a new manager, or whatever half-assed way they're going to do it, just agree a figure with him and have him in place for the Wales game. Apparently he's also said that he's "currently mulling over a job offer from an unnamed African Federation".

Go and get him now.

Has to be done.

I agree, no point in appointing a panel to find a new manager, or whatever half-assed way they're going to do it, just agree a figure with him and have him in place for the Wales game. Apparently he's also said that he's "currently mulling over a job offer from an unnamed African Federation".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Totally agree Lemlin, Hughes would be fantastic, but the united job would be about the only one that'd get him out of Blackburn probably, hopefully the only one :)

Atksinon sure sounds like it would be a lot of fun, Troussier has the pedigree and Sounness could get all the players injured while on international duty and have them all out for months with their clubs. hmmm, hard to know which to plum for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Totally agree Lemlin, Hughes would be fantastic, but the united job would be about the only one that'd get him out of Blackburn probably, hopefully the only one :)

Atksinon sure sounds like it would be a lot of fun, Troussier has the pedigree and Sounness could get all the players injured while on international duty and have them all out for months with their clubs. hmmm, hard to know which to plum for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Atksinon sure sounds like it would be a lot of fun

Sounds like a headache to me. You can just imagine the headlines in Britain - "Ron's Redemption" etc. Really don't think we need the hassle. It will be like a personal crusade for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Atksinon sure sounds like it would be a lot of fun

Sounds like a headache to me. You can just imagine the headlines in Britain - "Ron's Redemption" etc. Really don't think we need the hassle. It will be like a personal crusade for him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

anyway to change the poll options to Troussier, Souness, De Haan, Hodgsen, Jol, Brady, O'Leary (he is the bookies fav and confusingly winning the above poll) and other

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

anyway to change the poll options to Troussier, Souness, De Haan, Hodgsen, Jol, Brady, O'Leary (he is the bookies fav and confusingly winning the above poll) and other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Jacques Santini I think, anyone remember him ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Jacques Santini I think, anyone remember him ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Brady/Souness dream team for me. Get a Good Cop/Bad Cop sort of vibe going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Brady/Souness dream team for me. Get a Good Cop/Bad Cop sort of vibe going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Souness?? are people been serious?? I have been managed by sunday league managers who have forgotten more about soccer management then Souness knows. He ruined Liverpool for years and he wasn't exactly a success at Blackburn or Newcastle. We can do better than him.

I think we probably will end up with a club manager but I really really think that if we have learned anything from the last 3 managers its that we need a management team that has International experience and I say team because imo the Assistant is every bit as important as the manager.

Souness?? are people been serious?? I have been managed by sunday league managers who have forgotten more about soccer management then Souness knows. He ruined Liverpool for years and he wasn't exactly a success at Blackburn or Newcastle. We can do better than him.

I think we probably will end up with a club manager but I really really think that if we have learned anything from the last 3 managers its that we need a management team that has International experience and I say team because imo the Assistant is every bit as important as the manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

If Ron Atkinson gets the job the FAI are even bigger clowns than I had them down for.

If Ron Atkinson gets the job the FAI are even bigger clowns than I had them down for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Go and get him now.

Has to be done.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7060450.stm

At least he appears to be currently unemployed out of choice rather than nobody wanting him.

Maybe his religious faith will mean he will take a hard line on antics such as Robbie jollying it up in Lillies two nights before the Swiss game in 05 ;)

O`Neill would be great but I can see him trying to stay with Villa and try get them within at least top 5 within a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Go and get him now.

Has to be done.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7060450.stm

At least he appears to be currently unemployed out of choice rather than nobody wanting him.

Maybe his religious faith will mean he will take a hard line on antics such as Robbie jollying it up in Lillies two nights before the Swiss game in 05 ;)

O`Neill would be great but I can see him trying to stay with Villa and try get them within at least top 5 within a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

If it's a wish, Lippi is available.

For revenge I'd appoint Dunphy.

Going on previous history, it'll be Chris Hughton

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

If it's a wish, Lippi is available.

For revenge I'd appoint Dunphy.

Going on previous history, it'll be Chris Hughton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Lippi is so similar to Brian Kerr and people don't realise it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Lippi is so similar to Brian Kerr and people don't realise it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I'd like to see Souness in charge to be honest. Sure, van Gaal, Troussier and the like have sometimes done impressive work with lesser nations. But, appointing these guys will be a huge risk for the team. Berti Vogts, Le Guen, Santini, etc were all foreign managers with great reputations who flopped at British teams. I know we're not British, but our mentality is the same and there will always be a risk that a foreign manager won't work out. At least with the like of Souness, you know that he'll be able to interact with the players and motivate them. He's also got a truck load of management experience and he's pally with Eamonn ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I'd like to see Souness in charge to be honest. Sure, van Gaal, Troussier and the like have sometimes done impressive work with lesser nations. But, appointing these guys will be a huge risk for the team. Berti Vogts, Le Guen, Santini, etc were all foreign managers with great reputations who flopped at British teams. I know we're not British, but our mentality is the same and there will always be a risk that a foreign manager won't work out. At least with the like of Souness, you know that he'll be able to interact with the players and motivate them. He's also got a truck load of management experience and he's pally with Eamonn ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Ron attempting to impersonate someone like Franz Beckenbauer, Pelé or Maradona and inviting his players to guess his identity.[/I]

He also does a particularily accurate Bobby Charlton/Jan Molby combo impression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Ron attempting to impersonate someone like Franz Beckenbauer, Pelé or Maradona and inviting his players to guess his identity.[/I]

He also does a particularily accurate Bobby Charlton/Jan Molby combo impression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Sure, van Gaal, Troussier and the like have sometimes done impressive work with lesser nations.

are you daft? in all reality they had the right to expect as much as we did in fairness. we've never shown ourselves to be any better than any of these "lesser nations" in recent years... those guys are exactly the thing we need to get ourselves on the right path.

anytime anyone mentions Souness i really consider switching nationality... "ooh he's on RTE and he knows his stuff"... in reality he's been crisis after disaster after crises as he manged to fall out with nearly every dressing room he worked with. ye've got good memories lads.

Sure, van Gaal, Troussier and the like have sometimes done impressive work with lesser nations.

are you daft? in all reality they had the right to expect as much as we did in fairness. we've never shown ourselves to be any better than any of these "lesser nations" in recent years... those guys are exactly the thing we need to get ourselves on the right path.

anytime anyone mentions Souness i really consider switching nationality... "ooh he's on RTE and he knows his stuff"... in reality he's been crisis after disaster after crises as he manged to fall out with nearly every dressing room he worked with. ye've got good memories lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Chippy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Chippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

The poll selections were not well thought out imo.

David O'Leary ... not a good track record imo
    John Aldridge ... moderate record in lower divisions
    Graham Souness ... experienced, moderate, but lacking people skills
    Lawrie Sanchez ... in a nice job, so won't be available
    Brian Kerr ... should still be in the job [John Delaney has Kerr in Antartica]
    Roy Keane ... the twin of Souness, might last less than a year
    Steve McLaren ... not available

Paul Jewell might be a good manager, but he will not have much (any)experience of travelling to foreign locations with a team, or of dealing with a team he only sees for a few days at a time.

A manager that might suit is one with Champions League experience who manages those teams that are cannon-fodder for the big names like Manchester United, Barcelona, A C Milan, Real Madrid.

Scandinavian, Dutch, British are probably best as they speak English, and play a similar game to Ireland.

I would rule out Ron Atkinson for three reasons:
    (1) he wants to be offered the job, but will not apply
    (2) he speaks Ronglish :) so might be difficult to understand
    (3) his comments about a black player (misinterpreted imo) might be a sensistive issue if we qualified for a World Cup in South Africa.

I think auto-appointing a former Irish international player is a mistake. I would not rule out former Irish internationals, but we need to cast the net wider, and get value for money.

Are those guys that run the Brazilian Samba Soccer Schools available? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

The poll selections were not well thought out imo.

David O'Leary ... not a good track record imo
    John Aldridge ... moderate record in lower divisions
    Graham Souness ... experienced, moderate, but lacking people skills
    Lawrie Sanchez ... in a nice job, so won't be available
    Brian Kerr ... should still be in the job [John Delaney has Kerr in Antartica]
    Roy Keane ... the twin of Souness, might last less than a year
    Steve McLaren ... not available

Paul Jewell might be a good manager, but he will not have much (any)experience of travelling to foreign locations with a team, or of dealing with a team he only sees for a few days at a time.

A manager that might suit is one with Champions League experience who manages those teams that are cannon-fodder for the big names like Manchester United, Barcelona, A C Milan, Real Madrid.

Scandinavian, Dutch, British are probably best as they speak English, and play a similar game to Ireland.

I would rule out Ron Atkinson for three reasons:
    (1) he wants to be offered the job, but will not apply
    (2) he speaks Ronglish :) so might be difficult to understand
    (3) his comments about a black player (misinterpreted imo) might be a sensistive issue if we qualified for a World Cup in South Africa.

I think auto-appointing a former Irish international player is a mistake. I would not rule out former Irish internationals, but we need to cast the net wider, and get value for money.

Are those guys that run the Brazilian Samba Soccer Schools available? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Liam Brady for me. His experience with young players would prove invaluable and he'd have something over the only ego in the dressing room, suceeding in Italy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Liam Brady for me. His experience with young players would prove invaluable and he'd have something over the only ego in the dressing room, suceeding in Italy

I'd like to see Souness in charge to be honest. Sure, van Gaal, Troussier and the like have sometimes done impressive work with lesser nations. But, appointing these guys will be a huge risk for the team.

Can't be any less of a risk than the one they took appointing Stan. I think a fresh approach is needed, and to do that we need a foreign manager who has no history with any of the players or, more importantly, the FAI. Someone like Souness won't shake the system up as much as it needs to be because it'll be pretty similar to what they've always worked with. A non-Irish or British coach will have different training methods, motivation skills, etc., and exposing the current crop of fairly young players that we have to a different approach to the game could reap huge dividends.

I'd like to see Souness in charge to be honest. Sure, van Gaal, Troussier and the like have sometimes done impressive work with lesser nations. But, appointing these guys will be a huge risk for the team.

Can't be any less of a risk than the one they took appointing Stan. I think a fresh approach is needed, and to do that we need a foreign manager who has no history with any of the players or, more importantly, the FAI. Someone like Souness won't shake the system up as much as it needs to be because it'll be pretty similar to what they've always worked with. A non-Irish or British coach will have different training methods, motivation skills, etc., and exposing the current crop of fairly young players that we have to a different approach to the game could reap huge dividends.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

Mr Alan wrote: »
    In fairness, Keane had one good year at Sunderland when he spent quite a bit of money and now this year Sunderland are really struggling and will be one of the favs to get relegated?! No thank you (even if it could ever happen)
    We dont need a manager who is good in the transfar window, we need a motivator someone who can get the players to play to the best of there ability, Keane would do a good job here I feel, Just look at the fighting spirit he has at sunderland, every player gives there all and if they dont he wont have it, although dont think he would be interested just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

Mr Alan wrote: »
    In fairness, Keane had one good year at Sunderland when he spent quite a bit of money and now this year Sunderland are really struggling and will be one of the favs to get relegated?! No thank you (even if it could ever happen)
    We dont need a manager who is good in the transfar window, we need a motivator someone who can get the players to play to the best of there ability, Keane would do a good job here I feel, Just look at the fighting spirit he has at sunderland, every player gives there all and if they dont he wont have it, although dont think he would be interested just yet.

• Advertisement

spareman wrote: »

That "fighting spirit" might well turn into alienation of players in the dressing room if things go bad. Keane has proved nothing yet, promising start to a managerial career but that's it, he'd tell you that himself.

spareman wrote: »

That "fighting spirit" might well turn into alienation of players in the dressing room if things go bad. Keane has proved nothing yet, promising start to a managerial career but that's it, he'd tell you that himself.

What has Souness achieved in International football? actually what has Souness achieved full stop?? If he was any good he wouldn't be sitting in an RTE studio every weekend.

What has Souness achieved in International football? actually what has Souness achieved full stop?? If he was any good he wouldn't be sitting in an RTE studio every weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

irish1 wrote:
    ]What has Souness achieved in International football? actually what has Souness achieved full stop?? If he was any good he wouldn't be sitting in an RTE studio every weekend

That's true. I'm surprised Souness is considered for any top job these days. His track record is one of falling out with players, spending wads of money on expensive flops and of course almost destroying Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

irish1 wrote:
    ]What has Souness achieved in International football? actually what has Souness achieved full stop?? If he was any good he wouldn't be sitting in an RTE studio every weekend

That's true. I'm surprised Souness is considered for any top job these days. His track record is one of falling out with players, spending wads of money on expensive flops and of course almost destroying Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

did anyone see richard sadlier on prime time last night talking about stan/fai/successor thing.....interesting enough, he said that the players he knows in the squad have no respect for Dave O'Leary so he thinks he'd be a poor appointment.

Also mentioned something I just found unbelievably shocking (although,probably couldve guessed if i'd thought about it), he said that if Stan went for a job with any UNDER 11 side in Englands top few leagues (PL,championships etc), he wouldnt even get an interview as he didnt have the nescessary qualification.....mortifying! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

did anyone see richard sadlier on prime time last night talking about stan/fai/successor thing.....interesting enough, he said that the players he knows in the squad have no respect for Dave O'Leary so he thinks he'd be a poor appointment.

Also mentioned something I just found unbelievably shocking (although,probably couldve guessed if i'd thought about it), he said that if Stan went for a job with any UNDER 11 side in Englands top few leagues (PL,championships etc), he wouldnt even get an interview as he didnt have the nescessary qualification.....mortifying! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Souness? Really?
    As a Newcastle fan I actually shudder thinking about him being in charge of another team I care about, please God no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Souness? Really?
    As a Newcastle fan I actually shudder thinking about him being in charge of another team I care about, please God no!

Just heard on the radio this morning that Brian Kerr has thrown his hat into the ring. Granted he was royally shafted after his last stint but there is no way in hell he's gonna be picked again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement