Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Accord 2.2 EX or Lexus IS 220D

Options
  • 04-02-2008 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi i am going buying one of the following in the UK. It will be a 07 and have a budget of about £18000 but I am stuck as to which one. Has anyone any advice.:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

depends on what you need. the Lexus is the same size as a new Corolla, the Accord is much bigger. The IS is a nicer drive, and looks nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

If you can get an 07 IS220d and an Accord 2.2 CTDi for the same money then go for the Lexus. Especially if it has that Mark Levinson sound system. OTOH, the Executive trim on the Accord diesel is standard in Ireland and very nice.

Are you sure an '07 UK car + VRT is cheaper than an '07 Irish car? Last time I looked, a 1 year old UK car was dearer than a brand new Irish car, courtesy VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭dessierb

Granted the Lexus is a better looking car but am i right in saying the honda is better equiped and more value for your Pound

Executive and Sport spec in an IS220d is very good. What are your priorities? Equipment, comfort, handling, image/badge?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Executive and Sport spec in an IS220d is very good. What are your priorities? Equipment, comfort, handling, image/badge?

I think both cars look great. I know there is a new accord out in the summer. For me, the cheese is my comfort and the equipment at my fingetips. I have a funny feeling that the Honda just seems to have better quality on the inside and a little more tec for the diver.

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »
    If you can get an 07 IS220d and an Accord 2.2 CTDi for the same money then go for the Lexus. Especially if it has that Mark Levinson sound system. OTOH, the Executive trim on the Accord diesel is standard in Ireland and very nice.

Are you sure an '07 UK car + VRT is cheaper than an '07 Irish car? Last time I looked, a 1 year old UK car was dearer than a brand new Irish car, courtesy VRT.

Come July both the Honda and the Lexus will drop to about 4-5K less than the Irish model +++++ the UK Spec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

dessierb wrote: »
    Come July both the Honda and the Lexus will drop to about 4-5K less than the Irish model +++++ the UK Spec

+1. Lower VRT AND road tax if you hold off for 5 months. For the love of God, wait!

E92 wrote: »
    +1. Lower VRT AND road tax if you hold off for 5 months. For the love of God, wait!
    That is my intention but if i finally decide on the car and find the right one i will buy and park it up. I know Customs will be on the rampage in June.

the Honda just seems to have better quality on the inside and a little more tec for the diver.
    I would say the Lexus interior is better quailty, the Honda is nice inside, but a little plasticier than the Lexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Go for the Lexus. We've the 250 and it's a lovely environment to be in. Beautiful looking car too. I can't imagine it being totally different than the 220d. What spec would you be looking for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Luxury? go for the Lexus

Driving? go for the Honda

Reliability similar, after sales service? Honda, many familiar with these.

Resale? depends on the buyer... see first two sentences...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I've driven the Accord 2.2 diesel and it is a very good car with a great engine. I have a plan myself to head over next year to the UK and bring one of these back. Road tax will cost around the sam as what I am paying for my Focus TDCi now.

Haven't driven the IS220d but from the reviews I've read the diesel is supposed to be the least nicest of the range. General conclusion is that it is not refined enough for this class of car and a bit on the noisy side.

Test drive both cars is the best advice.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. Test drives is the way to go so.

make sure if you're thinking of an IS220d sport to actually drive the sport and not a base. Sport has different gearbox ratios and suits the engine better.

Ok the test drives are over and this is what I found. The Lexus is a very modern looking car, the Honda is a little jaded looking but still cool. So far the Lexus is ahead. Getting into the Lexus I found it very comfortable and during the drive it responded well. On the down side I found the Lexus makes life difficult for the driver operating the controls. Take the power windows, you need to dislocate you wrist to operate them. Also the power button for the radio is on the wrong side for the driver to operate comfortably. You also have to physically sit back and locate the petrol and boot release buttons. They are hidden in the blind spot behind the steering wheel.
    The Honda on the other hand is a pleasure to sit into. The drive in the Honda was also equal to the Lexus. It is very user friendly and has a multitude of equipment as standard. The Honda beats the Lexus hands down in the cockpit. The spec is much higher and far far user friendly. When it comes down to it the Honda may look a little older but I still think its far better value for money. It’s a nice place to be……
    Any comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

So far the Lexus is ahead
    Why do you say it's ahead? Your review didn't seem to positive!

JHMEG wrote: »
    Why do you say it's ahead? Your review didn't seem to positive!
    Merely on the look of the Lexus from the outside looking in. It is better looking but the drive is equal to the Honda and the Honda wins overall on the interior.

Advertisement