Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell Xps 720 - Opinions please

• 04-02-2008 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Ok, i started a thread on here looking for advice in building my own pc - basically ive abandoned that idea due to lack of time, knowledge and the absence of an all in one warranty.

So the Dell XPS 720 has caught my eye - ive bought pcs off dell a few times before and im quite happy to use them again tbh.

Ok heres the spec:

Components:

PROCESSOR: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Processor Q6600 (2.40GHz, 1066MHz, 8MB cache)

OPERATING SYSTEM: Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium OR Xp Media Center 2005

HARDWARE SUPPORT: Base Warranty - 1 Year XPS Premium Hardware Support (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support)

MEMORY: 2048MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024

HARD DRIVE:1TB Serial ATA RAID 0 Stripe 2x500GB 7200rpm drives with DataBurst cache

OPTICAL DRIVE:16X DVD+/-RW Drive

GRAPHICS CARD: Dual 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT cards OR 768mb 8800 gtx for 83 euro more

Accessories

SOUND CARD: Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital Audio

KEYBOARD: Dell™ Enhanced USB Multimedia Keyboard -

MOUSE: Dell Optical Scroll Premium Mouse

FLOPPY/MEDIA DRIVES: 19-in-1 Media Card reader with Bluetooth

Total price using Dell Epp - 1462 euro - now i would be using a 10% code (id wait if there is none available at the minute) to bring the grand total to 1316 euro

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?cs=ieepp1&kc=305&oc=D027206&x=0&y=0

In terms of spec, there are 2 main dilemas:

1. Whether to go with Vista for the first time or stick with XP which i love - the only reason im half considering vista, is that i think all new Dell Pcs will be shipping Vista Service Pack 1 from this week onwards - maybe that has sorted a lot of its problems?

2. Go for the Dual 8800gt cards or pay 83 euro extra and get a single 8800 gtx card

Added to the above spec would be:

Dell 2407 monitor with soundbar
    External 500gb hardrive

Any input appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

System spec is class,all the xps 700 series can be overclocked too

The 8800 GT is a phenominal card! It runs much cooler and uses less power than the GTX, but it's not quite as powerful...

A single 8800GT is only about 10-15% slower than a 8800GTX, two of them should be a nice bit faster in games that scale well, plus 2 8800gt's = €440, 1 8800gtx = €330....

Vista is great, if you have the right hardware like you do, you will find it much better than Xp imo, especially with the service pack coming out......

The dell machine works out good value imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

good advice as usual Sqaull20 thanks:

Ah im still very undecided about the os - ive read microsoft will be releasing a new os next year so i was thinking of just sticking with xp and passing vista by - tbh i have no problem with xp at all

So you reckon getting the dual 8800gt are the way to go?

I like the idea of getting a dell because i have found there support excellent and if i can find a 10% discount code, i think the price is excellent.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Dual 8800gt are definitely the way to go....

Microsoft might release a new os in the next year or two, but it wont be to replace Vista imo, Vista is only a year old and once support for Xp finishes next year and all the major software companies get nudged to go Vista exclusives by microsoft people will be have no choice but to go Vista....

You should have a look at Komplett pc builder too, they have began to get competitive again and offer a 3 year warranty....

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ci.aspx?sku=10206

Komplett Intel Gamer

PC box
    Gigabyte Triton 180 Black
    OCZ GameXStream Powersupply ATX/EPS,
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P, P35, Socket-775,
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    Corsair TWIN2X 6400C5DHX DDR2, 2048MB
    Gigabyte GeForce 8400GS 256MB DDR2,
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2
    NEC DVD±RW burner AD-7200A, IDE,