Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid Wood on UFH

Options
  • 05-02-2008 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

I know some people have started doing this and I have been advised to dry wood out well beforehand, however, how do you fix baton etc to concrete slab when you have underfloor heating to avoid possibly hitting a pipe??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

I was in a flooring shop earlier and was reading that you can float the floor on the concrete using that adhesive underlay, they had signs up about it in windsor tiles just of the Kylemore road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 AMJ

I would advise you not to put Solid Floor over UFH. Definately do not float it using elastilon, this is not suitable for solid wood over ufh.
    you would be better off and it will work out cheaper to use an engineered floor with a 6mm top layer, it gives you all the benefits of a solid floor without the expansion or moisture problems.
    If you put a solid floor over ufh you need to keep the heating going 365 days a year to stop the wood from expanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ennisjim

I have heard of quite a few cases where solid wood is glued to concrete floor which has UFH and there are apparently no problems. Can't comment on elastilon though.
    Personally I went with semi-solid and glue and it has worked out well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭DA-LAD

Anyone else fitted solid wood flooring fitted on UFH. Seen oak wide board lately and it looks very good. Any advice / tips would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I fitted solid red deal on UFH, down 2+ yrs and no problems.
    I used polyethylene sheeting first to stop moisture rising into the timber then that white Polyethylene foam 4-6mm and then laid the timber on that.
    Glued the edges with Larsen wood glue and no problems at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭hippychippy

Where in the country are you???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭DA-LAD

Where in the country are you???

You talkin to me....... Clare.

Advertisement