Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any Advice would be great

Options
  • 05-02-2008 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

hey all.

just need a bit of advice here, from anybody if they can help,

im selling a 2007 nissan primeria se 1.6, has all the extras, reversing camera. electric windows, climate control and alloys wheels plus more.

went around just looking at a few jeeps the suzuki grand vitara 2006 or 2007 and a toyota rav 4 same 2006 & 2007 , both of whom were 2.0litre petrol, more so the suzuki took my eye bcos it was cheaper.

went to a few dealerships to get price, one of the big car supermarkets in kylemore offered me €15k for my car, i laughed, a dealership offered me €17k-€17k depending on what i was looking, i was more so looking for €18,500 for my car.

but i went into a garage in kylemore called "Auto City" has anyone had previous experience with them? bcos the guy asked me how much was i looking for my car, i said €20k just threw the figure out in the air but he matched it and said he would give me €20k but hes selling a few grand vitara's but i was looking at the petrol 2.0litre but im just about worried about one or two things,

the 3 of them i was looking at are from japan, "imports" but 2 of the automatic have between 4,000k-9,000k but he has a 2006 model for €26,950 with only 51kilmotres, could this be really genuine or could it be clocked? he has no reg on te jeep or many of his cars for the matter and theres no way of checking it out plus im not sure whether id be taking a risk bcos id be afraid if i went to sell it, a dealership might not take it as trade,

anyone with advice, id be very appreciative, bcos im slightly concerned. has anyone gone through this before?

cheers
    DG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

run away, quite fast. the only reason he can offer you 20k is because of the margin he's built into the price. The japanese model will not be covered by Suzukis warranty and be worth less than a European model second hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 wuggy_bear

Cheers colm, i will take the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

You can't argue with the trade in price, BUT, I wouldn't be fond of a Jap import... Also, The RAV 4 would be my choice over the Suzuki.

Re the mileage, it's probably right, isn't the reason so many used cars from Japan get exported because they're only allowed to stay on the road there up to a certain age / mileage??

I know with older Jap imports, alot of the engines are different so spare parts are harder to get, not sure if this is still the case though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

plus there's a shoitttte gear box in the those Vitaras. My bro's wife has one (2007) and it's been replaced already........and the word is its quite common.

so, you'd be needing that warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

A quick bit of advice is to forget about the figure the garage offers you on a trade in. The important figure is the cost to change. Put that against what you're getting and see whether it looks like value to you. Your trade-in figure can be raised simply by raising the price of the other car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

Well, I suppose you have to look at why the guy is offering you €2,500 more for your Primera than everywhere else. As people have said here, you need to look at the cost to change. This is the most important figure. People get far too bogged down on what their car is worth and solely make decisions based on this. You need to look at the deal as a whole and see if it's good.
    As for the Vitara, the fact you can't do a history check on the car and the fact that it may not be covered by warranty would have me concerned. I'd be wary of dealing under those circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Why not go for a Qashqai? I know they're tricky to get, but Nissan would have a ready market for your Primera (well, sort of) And the Qashwai is much cheaper than Rav4, CR-V etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Good advice above ^^.

Dont put too much emphasis on yout trade-in price its only 1 factor in the cost to change.
    I have seen many people get into a spiral because they get caught up in what their car is worth. Primera - then to an Import Jap , then the only guy who will give you what you want for your import in 2 yrs time is a dealer with clocked UK cars and before you know it your driving pure crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 wuggy_bear

hey guys,

well an update for you all, first of all cheers for the advice, it answered all my queries and i defiently decided against the jap import.

i went to a proper dealership that will remain nameless but good quality cars and bought a jeep from them, the nissan x-trail and i got a good exchange on the primera i got €19000 so i cudnt be happier bcos the cost to change was less than i expected to lose, so i was chuffed. collecting it on thursday

thanks again everyone for your advice and tips!!

cheers

if anyone want a free pint let me know bcos you all saved me money,

DG

Advertisement