Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dovetails,how do you do yours?

Options
  • 05-02-2008 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

I started a project tonight and attempted my first hand dovetail on a piece of waste,luckily,because I made a hames of it.What way is best for removing the waste,with a chisel or a coping saw.I'm using soft wood. I tried the coping saw method first,using a dovetail saw first to cut the diagonals,but managed to let the coping saw run away with itself. I'd be afraid with a chisel and mallet of breaking the pins completly. Obviously practise makes,in my case reasonable,any tips or tricks to share?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 JBCFord

I haven’t cut hand dovetails in a quite a while mostly do them on a rougher and template jig just for speed unless the client wants to pay for hand cut dovetails

As I remember tools required
    Sharp tenon saw for cutting down shoulders
    Coping saw for cutting out waste
    Sharp chisel ¼ inc for paring [the most dangerous chisel is a blunt one ]
    Sharp chisel ½ inc for paring
    Bevel gauge to mark out dovetail angle
    Sharp pencil !
    A good solid work bench or a Black and Decker work bench still the best portable bench around

This link should get you started and have fun
    http://www.technologystudent.com/joints/dove1.htm

regards jbcford

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

I always use a chisel to remove the waste. It's so difficult to keep a straight line with the coping saw that you always end up having to square off the cut with a chisel anyway!

You say you're working in softwood? I'm assuming the joint is for a drawer or box corner. To be honest the dovetail does'nt work quite as well in softwood, you tend to get a lot of chipping, even when being very careful. So I would use the softwood for practice until you get satisfactory results, then move onto hardwood.

If that does'nt suit, then use the softwood but when marking the dovetails use a slope of 1 in 6 rather than the normal 1 in 8. In softwood, dovetails with a 1 in 8 slope would be very prone to pulling out.

Here is a youtube video or some dovetails being cut, it's quite short, but it's good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-o4jryTkUc

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Thanks for the replies. I ended up using a router and jig,still managed to get a fair bit of chipping but at least the joints fitted.It will take a fair amount of sanding for them to look nice:rolleyes:The guy in the video made it look so easy irishthump, wish I'd paid more attention in school.

Advertisement