Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The funniest page on Carzone.ie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A Japanese attempt of the 1960ies Froggie Sprite

1960_frogeye_in_oew_with_black_trim_001-1152123790172417_large_item.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They are based on the 1992 to 2002 Nissan March/Micra. The Japs went through a phase around the early 1990s where they made immitation classic cars using the underpinings of then current models. It was all the trend in Japan at the time.

Lots of Micras going around which had similar body panels to the Jaguar:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=861340&message=You%20searched%20for%3A%20Mitsuoka%20Viewt%2E%20Your%20search%20returned%20one%20vehicle%2C%20which%20is%20shown%20below%2E&CFID=432039&CFTOKEN=15600716

Why would you want to, is the $64m question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

DonJose wrote: »
    The funniest page on Carzone.ie
    http://tinyurl.com/2s76kc

why? very popular car, not my taste, but i see why people buy them, retro and all that. Eric Clapton has one.

Do they have the same engine as the March ST? (or no supercharger?)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a surprising lot of them in Ireland considering how few of them were made I must say....

The Nissan S-Cargo from the same time was probably a funnier vehicle to see - its not a car, but a snail shaped van built on top of the Micra...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

bazz26 wrote: »
    Why would you want to, is the $64m question.
    You'll mainly see them driven by a certain type of lady who would describe them as "funky".

Personally, I think they're an abomination and that the phrase "funky" should never be used unless describing something that involves Bootsy Collins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The japs did the same when they came up with a waterley attempt of the VW Splitty.

vw-dblue.jpg

They have their uses, Ie they give those a chance that cannot afford the real thing a chance to own a counterfeit. No big deal if they write them off as they are not classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Senna wrote: »

Do they have the same engine as the March ST? (or no supercharger?)

They're 1.0L Turbos, with auto boxes.

DC..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Are those prices for real???
    €12k and upwards for a '90/91 Micra?????
    Whoever buys one of those deserves it...

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

JCDUB wrote: »

The beauty of supply & demand. They're a fashion statement and I know women that would gladly pay that amount for them. I think they're even more expensive in the UK.

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

JCDUB wrote: »

Not any madder than anyone buying paying 5-6 grand more for an A3 just because it has a more upmarket badge and slightly better interior materials...

The Figaro etc. are rare beasts, rarely used as eveyday cars (most seem to be in as-new condition) and you'll get all your money back when you sell on. Not my cup of tea or anything but I'm glad they exist...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you get one that's not been abused, they're a good investment. they're unlikely to depreciate, and apart from a few issues, they're very reliable.
    A lot of girls I know have considered buying one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

dcGT wrote: »
    They're 1.0L Turbos, with auto boxes.

DC..

Indeed, they were the same MA10 engines from the K10 Micra, just with a turbo bolted onto them. They gave out about 70bhp or there abouts.

There was only about 11,000 built, they done a lottery on who could get one at the time in Japan.

That said, the Nissan March SuperTurbo are rarer, and less expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

Well by the looks of it, "JOHN" has a garage full of them. A mate of mine imported one and sold it on, made a worthwhile profit on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dublinfigman

if anyone is considering buying a Nissan Figaro, my advice is to buy before end June.

After that date the VRT could increase from the current €2160 to around €3400. The road tax could soar to €2000. (cars registered before that date will maintain their current rate of €165). This is because there is no CO reading for a car of this age so by default it will be rated at the highest band. see http://www.budget.gov.ie/2008/downloads/AnnexD.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

What classic is the Figaro based on? - those back lights look Fiatesque

The Figaro was introduced at the 1989 Tokyo Motor Show under the slogan "Back to the Future". It was built by a Nissan special projects group called Pike Factory, who also produced other niche automobiles such as the Be-1, Pao and S-Cargo. Only four colours were available: Topaz Mist, Emerald Green, Pale Aqua and Lapis Grey.

The least popular was Topaz Mist, which now has become the most sought-after version. (I have just have sold one though have 2 more on their way!)

The Figaro was equipped with leather seats, air conditioning, CD player and a open roof. It was designed by Shoji Takahashi, who won a design competition with the car.

The engine was Nissan's MA10ET, a turbocharged 1.0 L (987 cc) I4.
    Only 8,000 were originally available with an additional 12,000 added to production numbers to meet demand which was so high a lottery was used to allocate the cars.

This immediately caused a price rise as people traded their allocation; the prices have remained high ever since with a sharp rise seen here and in the UK over the last 3 years - for good original models

Styling cues were taken from many cars of the 5os and 60s. In my experience, most people ask "is it a Fiat?" though it also resembles Austin A35, various Peugeots, and even Porsche Speedster.

Nissan have gone out of their way to disguise the provenance of the car. In fact the only refenence to 'Nissan' on the car is a tiny 'Nissan' under the rear reg plate holder no more than about 8mm tall; also on the bonnet badge - this tme about 5 mm.

There is no doubt the Figaro is one of the cleverest and most innovative auto designs ever - combining the retro looks with what was cutting edge technology in 1991 - turbo engine with fuel injection, roof retracting into rear boot - use of thermoplastics - first time on a production car , and the very first production car to have a factory fitted CD. Little wonder that the CDs often need an overhaul - who would have imagined they would still be so popular 17 years later?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Are they all automatic?

egan007 wrote: »
    Are they all automatic?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Is there any left in japan:D, there seems to be loads over here and in england, i remember hearing something somwhere about japanese cars having to be got rid of when they reach a certain age or 100000miles or something like that, thats why so many jap cars get exported?Or is that totall bull?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

What a junker ! Id say the japs are shipping them out of their place for fcuk all, 10K :eek:

They are supposed to be fairly thirsty as well for the pump!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

japanese cars having to be got rid of when they reach a certain age or 100000miles or something like that, thats why so many jap cars get exported?Or is that totall bull?

Kind of true, they have a very strict NCT type test. When cars get to a certain age the cost of putting them through it will be more than the car is worth. Older cars have no value over there, and i even think the Japaneses aren't allow to sell their second-hand cars to anybody, like we do here, they have to sell them to a garage or certified car sales company.

An import car thats on sale here for €15k may have been sold in japan for as little as €5k.

More Info ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaken_(Car_Inspection)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

A female neighbour of mine bought one of these last week. I didn't know what it was when I first saw it, and can't believe the price! I'll look at it a little differently now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Sizzler wrote: »
    What a junker

Why do you say that?

Advertisement