Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The best pubs for food in west dublin/Co.Kildare

• 05-02-2008 1:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Please give your opinions of which you think are the best pubs for food
    in the lucan/leixlip/celbridge/maynooth areas, and why you lke them,

My personal favourites are Courtneys in lucan, and Newtown inn in Maynooth,

Courntey's has not the most original menu but has a restaurant section
    so if you dont want to sit with drinking crowd who just was soakage
    u can enjoy a good meal which u can tell the provide,the chef really puts the effort in. and i heard hes leaving, not good! pity the service is a bit slow.

Newtown inn is one of those pubs u wouldnt go for a big night out but
    the food really has improved in the last 6 months,before it was quite drab, the old bit of salad and bun job which any old plonker with a pair of hands and a chef hat on could do,
    sunday lunch is the best in the area in my opinion and the bar food
    really does hit the spot,down to a new chef i here more than just steak and chips but a lovely meal,and nice quiet surroundings, hopefully it keeps up, well worth a visit.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Moved from F&D.

You might pick-up some relevant traffic in here STIX001.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Pub grub eh? ;)

Well I don't know about the best 6 but I used to like the food in the Roost in Maynooth when they first started serving carvery but once people copped onto it, I fellt that the quality declined slightly, possibly because they had to cook so much food at once.

I had a coffee in Newtown Inn a few weeks ago when I was back in Ireland and it tasted great! Best coffee I'd had in a long time! Haven't really eaten out in WestDublin since I moved to England :( As I'm from Lucan originally I usually eat in me mammys when I'm home rather than the pub, nothing like mammys cooking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

i'd agree with you on Courtneys.

Leixlip House do a nice bar food menu and the setting is quieter than your normal pub.

Was at Liffey Valley house in Leixlip last sunday and they do a very good carvery with food piled high on the plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 STIX001

i must try liexlip house sometime,
    im from lucan myself and the one thing lacking is quality restaurants,
    theres demand there but i guess people dont want to pay the prices...

...and yeah theres something about mothers cookin its got that priceless
    quality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,634 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Courtneys have decent bar food,
    but the Carvery in Kennys is far better imo. Its hotel quaility carvery, (if that makes sense)
    I pretty much refuse to go into Courtneys now due to the price of drink, its the dearest in the area by almost a euro a pint. Probably the dearest pub in the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

the ryevale tavern in leixlip does a nice carvery and barfood menu.the springfield hotel does great barfood, im not mad on the carvery though.o neills, the new pub in maynooth is supposed to be great, havent had it myself though.i heard the penny hill was good?? palmerstown house is good too.

the penny hill is dyre, id need a good 10 mins to tell u whats not right about there for food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,634 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Stix, are you refering to the a la carte or the carvery?
    I've only tried one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭cathald

Yea, whould probably give Courtneys my vote too..imho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Courtyard, Leixlip for carvery, the Ryevale for bar food generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 boomhower

gonna have to try those places!!!! (i like food)

deadmans is quite good for a carvery!!! nice, fresh, PROPER food in decent portions!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

the deadmans inn do a decent carvery. the best i've had in a while was in the courtyard in leixlip,it was the business:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

the deadmans is class easy to get seating and massive amounts of food!
    just have to get there bout noon for the best stuff! drivin can be a bit confusing if your not from around the area! take the slip down the hill and right at the roundabout and approach another roundabout and... there goes i gettin confused again think its a straight on and the road veers to the right to the deadmans!

Advertisement