Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

polo wont start

Options
  • 05-02-2008 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello..I have a vw polo and it's getting harder and harder to start it..i have to turn the key so hard i'm afraid i'll break it..the electrics come on ok but sometimes cant turn key enough to start engine..then sometimes it turns over and stops after a second...i unlock steering wheel and move down and up and it's ok..i have been told it's the wiring,it's the ignition tool,it's the ignition contacts..what do ye think? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Battery? The battery on my clio died a few times. I eventually had to get a new one. Is the immobiliser light flashing itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MAYOMICK

It Could be the ignition switch.I know this gives trouble on Polo.Relativley cheap to replace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭domania

Bring it to Halfords or some other place that sells batteries and get it tested for free. A car battery will generally only last around 3 to 5 years. It sounds like a battery problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

MAYOMICK wrote: »
    It Could be the ignition switch.I know this gives trouble on Polo.Relativley cheap to replace.

Yep - I'll second this if it's a case that you are forcing the key in order to get the starter to engage. The contacts in the ignition switch have a habit of going faulty on Polos.

If, when you start it, the engine fires up and then dies, it could be an immobiliser problem. Again, it's a common problem on late 1990's Polos. You may or may not have a yellow light on the dash. If you have a spare key then use it and see what happens.

Advertisement