Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atlantis - Cloak

• 05-02-2008 6:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭

They cloak the city to avoid detection right....

However, its still a big, huge city.

And it displaces ridiculous quantities of water. Quite visibly.

I guess that was my argument. They should be dead.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

that or people on coastal cities must really hate them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 WannaST

... never thought of it like that... a big pot-hole in the ocean!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i thought that it floated on the ocean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I can't say I thought about it too much, I guess I assumed that it floated too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Overheal wrote: »
    They cloak the city to avoid detection right....

However, its still a big, huge city.

And it displaces ridiculous quantities of water. Quite visibly.

I guess that was my argument. They should be dead.

Im ashamed to admit that ive thought of this aswell.

Also if it did float on the ocean surface surely waves would break on the sides of the city which any self respecting wriath sciantist shouldve spotted.

ahwell i guess well never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

Also if it did float on the ocean surface surely waves would break on the sides of the city which any self respecting wriath sciantist shouldve spotted.
    Unless all these things are countered by the cloak...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

B-K-DzR wrote: »
    Unless all these things are countered by the cloak...

Well im sure thats what the producers would say.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Why don't the ancients use merlin's device that puts them out of phase? That way it would not only cloak the city but also protect it from attack and detection from scans. It also uses less power than the cloak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

that be some smart thinking... im sure Mckay will come up with it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

User45701 wrote: »
    that be some smart thinking... im sure Mckay will come up with it

True but why can't the ancients figure this out? For such a technologically advanced race they sure are stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Perhaps it's quite hard to spot a slight dent in an ocean that covers most of the planet. The cloak could do more than just invisiable, see me not stuff. Like how stealth bombers aren't detected by radar but you can still see them if you try hard enough. :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

A wizard did it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Why don't the ancients use merlin's device that puts them out of phase? That way it would not only cloak the city but also protect it from attack and detection from scans. It also uses less power than the cloak.

didn't that only phase people?

didn't that only phase people?
    They used it to phase a whole town to hide from the priors once so it can be done.

rkm wrote: »
    They used it to phase a whole town to hide from the priors once so it can be done.

SG1 season 10 spoiler
    Sam also used it to make earth go out of phase. They said it would only use 80% (I think) of America's total power generating capacity and would use considerably less power than the chair at antartica.

If that's the case then surely making Atlantis go out of phase would take fúck all power.

True, sam is great in any reality.

rkm wrote: »
    True, sam is great in any reality.

Given enough time she could probably make it work for a million years on a couple of AAA batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Say we forward the Merlin's Cloak idea to Gateworld - they can forward the idea on to the producers (because thats really quite a good one).

At the same time the fewer reminders I have of seasons 9 and 10....

Overheal wrote: »
    Say we forward the Merlin's Cloak idea to Gateworld - they can forward the idea on to the producers (because thats really quite a good one).

Especially now atlantis has a zpm (they still have one of those, right?), the thing could last forever. It could give them too much of an advantage against the wraith/any bad guy the come across. Especially if they stick one on each of their ships.

They never reverse engineered the device did they? I thought they were still reliant on the original.

As well as that it might be a case of them not being able to get their hands on it: Earth seriously benefits from having it. I doubt the IOA or anyone else is going to let atlantis have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Ahh another stargate "how/why" thread :D

How do they know which side of a stargate is the "front" etc etc :D

Make it spin...

maybe they tried it both ways back in the original experiments... it also helps when all the symbols are on one side. And then you have the event horizon's vortex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

True but why can't the ancients figure this out? For such a technologically advanced race they sure are stupid.

They were arrogant little buggers and thought their sheilds would do the job so who needs to hide like woosies with a cloak or phase tech (Why dont we run instead???:p). Also they had been fighting for years and to be honest their sheilds were doing the job seemed to be they were also if it aint broke dont fix it kind of people..
    They wont get their hands on the phase tech because Earth needs it incase of an Ori attack or any other attackers that their ships cant take care of.

Advertisement