Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European qualification

Options
  • 05-02-2008 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Can you settle a dispute with a work colleague - have Spurs qualified already for Europe next season by virtue of the fact that their opponents in the Carling Cup Final, Chelsea will be in the Champions League next season.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Can you settle a dispute with a work colleague - have Spurs qualified already for Europe next season by virtue of the fact that their opponents in the Carling Cup Final, Chelsea will be in the Champions League next season.
    Thanks

My understanding was NO we dont. I thought that was only the case in the FA Cup. If Chelsea beat us, an extra place in the league goes to Uefa Cup !!!
    I could be wrong mind you !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Extra place goes to league if chelski beat us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

BERBA wrote: »
    Extra place goes to league if chelski beat us
    I will second this, nope, we have to do it the hard way! and boy is every route hard. 1, Beat an in form Chelski, 2, Clamber back 12 or more points to get in via league, 3, win EUFA Cup (beat Munich, and others on the way!) Not an impossible task, but very hard. I actually think the best bet would be to nick it from Chelski.
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭denashpot

the uefa cup place if spurs are defeated goes to the team that finish's 7th in the league as far as i know. its wrong duh. why should it be allowed for the fa cup and not the leauge cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

denashpot wrote: »
    the uefa cup place if spurs are defeated goes to the team that finish's 7th in the league as far as i know. its wrong duh. why should it be allowed for the fa cup and not the league cup.
    What cup would you say is more prestigious? What cup would you say is harder to win? Does the looser of any other European league cup go into uefa? Question answered? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

denashpot wrote: »
    the uefa cup place if spurs are defeated goes to the team that finish's 7th in the league as far as i know. its wrong duh. why should it be allowed for the fa cup and not the leauge cup.

The fa cup winners had an automatic place in the European Cup winners Cup competition. If the FA Cup winners had already qualified for Europe the FA Cup runners up got the place in the Cup winners cup. When this competition finished the FA Cup winners got a place in the UEFA Cup and as happened before the runners up go in UEFA if the winners have already qualified for Europe.
    The League Cup winners always went into the UEFA Cup and there was never any provision made for the runners up.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

The UEFA Cup winners will not get a place either next year in UEFA automatically. So it's either win LC or finish in top 7!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

galinka wrote: »
    The UEFA Cup winners will not get a place either next year in UEFA automatically. So it's either win LC or finish in top 7!!

Or worse again....enter the inter toto cup !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

galinka wrote: »

Its a strange one lads, read below !!

If the previous UEFA Cup title-holders are not eligible to take part in either of the current UEFA club competitions (UEFA Champions League or UEFA Cup) by virtue of their domestic form, the UEFA Administration may, at the request of the association of the club concerned, admit this club to the current UEFA Cup competition. Its participation will not be at the expense of the contingent of its association.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Cheers for that - just lost 20 euro

• Advertisement
Advertisement