Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Browse on Laptop through Mobile

Options
  • 05-02-2008 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi All

This may be in the wrong place but here goes. Basically I am wondering A)if it is possible to hook a mobile up via usb/bluetooth to a laptop and dial up to an ISP the way you would have with a phone line and get the internet and B) is it very expensive.

I'm with vodafone.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Yes, and can be VERY expensive. Better to get a dedicated modem from 3, vodafone or o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It can be horribly horribly expensive.
    The speed can be 14.4k (GSM), 50K (GPRS), or up to 240K EDGE, up to 384k 3G or up to 3600Kbps HSDPA (which can also be as slow as GPRS).

It depends on your phone (and how you set up connection), operator or even SIM as to what service you can connect to. Some operators will sell you a data option for lower cost internet, which in fact only applies to phone browser, and charge full whack for using phone as a modem. You can use a data modem SIM in a suitable phone and use it on the Data Modem package, Then voice phone calls are 5c to 15c a second...

Also some USB is really converted serial so a max of 115kbps.
    Some bluetooth is really converted serial so a max of 115kbps.
    Some USB run at up to 2Mbps and bluetooth limited or vice versa.
    Also there is IRDA port (infra red), which acn be 60kbps or 1Mbps.
    Very very few WiFi phones will act as a WiFI hotspot, which is sad as it's really just software.

It really depends on Phone and Contract how successful you will be. Google your phone.
    Have fun finding anyone in the Operator phone support that actually understands what you want to do and even if they do actually knows what packages they have to make it cheaper.

Unless I put the SIM from my datacard in my phone, my phone can't use Edge/3G at all for data, only voice. I must ring them and find out why my ordinary voice account has data disabled entirely (even for phone internal use).

It can actually work at same price and speed as a dedicated USB or datacard modem, if everything is right (settings, phone model, operator SIM package etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

Meteor's rate is about 5 euro per MB on pay as you go. If you are on a bill you get 250 MB per month for 10 euro, or, on some tariffs, ' unlimited' for 30 euro a month. It's handy if you want to be able to browse on either PC or phone.

Advertisement