Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remington 700 SPS or VLS?

Options
  • 05-02-2008 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I have a friend who is buying a rifle in .308 Win. He is thinking of buying either a Remington 700 SPS (special purpose synthetic) or the Remington 700 VLS (varmint laminated stock)? He wants a rifle mainly for target shooting and a bit of stalking? What do you think? The VLS is more expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I'd be looking at the VLS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

definatly the VLS, ive heard the sps is not as accurate, but that's just somethin i heard, havn't used one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Just had a look at the 700 VS SF II

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_VS_SF_II.asp

Don't know what calibre it comes in but if it was available in 308 I would look to get one later in the year myself.
    :):D:):D:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

I have a VLS in 308win, its a fantastic rifle, very accurate and i love the stock, i use it mainly for stalking deer but do a small bit of target too. The only real downside i have to the rifle is the weight when its fully set-up, mines weights in at almost 12lbs unloaded! (bipod & scope)which is a bit heavy for stalking unless your mate doesnt mind dragging the rifle and the deer across where he stalks...I have held a SPS in .223, just doesnt feel as good for some reason but then its still built on the 700 action...but thats just my opinion..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Mac Tire wrote: »
    I have held a SPS in .223, just doesnt feel as good for some reason but then its still built on the 700 action...but thats just my opinion..:)

First off, I'm not a remmy fan but from what I hear on US sites is that the SPS needs to have its action properly bedded, in order to obtain consistant shooting. Mac you're dead right about it being built on the 700 action. The thing is, why would one not get a VLS in the first place? Ok finances can dictate but if you take an SPS and have aftermarket work done to it to bring it to an acceptable standard, but would it not make sense to buy something with accuracy out of the box.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

Eh the VLS or VSF or any rifle in that range are all very accurate and dont fowl that much either! SPS is not great by any means as i know lads with them!
    As for stalking The VLS is 11lb unscoped!! So unless your using a high seat you wont be doing much walking!! But for target its the dogs bo***cks!!!!
    Very good gun over all just not for stalking!!

Totally agree, if the VLS weighted a little less it would be the K9's testes..if i had the choice your mate has, for mainly target and some stalking, VLS all the way...but if it a 50-50, i would suggest looking at the XCR Tactical Long Range, looks the biz too..If i can hang onto my VLS im going to try and get the XCR Compact Tactical soley for stalking, with the VLS soley for target..

If i can hang onto my VLS im going to try and get the XCR Compact Tactical soley for stalking, with the VLS soley for target..

But I don't see the XCR in 308 calibre.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_XCR_specs.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

i had a sps .223 and it was the worst rifle i have ever had, stay away at all costs.

I was just looking over this at the savage site.
    12 varmint series FVSS = .308, synthetic stock, 26" Satinless steel barrel, 1-10 twist, 8 3/4 LBs.

http://www.savagearms.com/12fvss.htm

• Advertisement

have a look at these bad boys, both pretty nice rifles i think....

I can see clearly now....missed those first time round. They look the business all right. Any idea of price in Ireland?

McTire which would be better and more accurate with the 26" barrel Sav 1-10 or Rem 1-12 twist with same ammo?

not where im great! Still learning the trade, there are plenty of guys on here that will know the answer to that question....I think a 1:12 rate of twist will suit longer rounds.....i think
    As for price, still working on that one, my local dealer is ringing the suppliers in england tomorrow to see what they will cost....

As for price, still working on that one, my local dealer is ringing the suppliers in england tomorrow to see what they will cost....

Let me know what prices your quoted and the dealer's name you can PM me the details if you want. Cheers.

Will do, bit of a drive for you from Kilkenny to Donegal though!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Go for VLS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

OR.....

How about this ... ???

http://www.savagearms.com/10fphsprecision.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

jaycee wrote: »
    OR.....

How about this ... ???

http://www.savagearms.com/10fphsprecision.htm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Wonder why you recommend this one ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Sharpie

What are the triggers like on the 700? I was doing a big of looking into one of these in 308 also for a buddy. 6.5 pounds pull seems very heavy and I think it would be something that would need to be changed quickly. Anyone any experience or thoughts?

Is it adjustable in any way (out of the box)?

I know it can be replaced, as can most things on the 700. The amount of bits available for it is way above anything else out there and that would make it a great rifle to play about with over time.

Sharpie

I replaced mines with a Timney Trigger, which was already at 3.5lbs. The guy that i got to fit it for me said that he could have done a job on the standard trigger to lighten the pull, but it could not be reversed, one way street, so i went for a replacement , can always be made heavier in the future...

• Advertisement

Thanks Mac.

Good to know it is adjustable in some way. I don't think it would be an issue in wanting to go back to 6 pounds plus anyway. It would be interesting to see what it was like once adjusted and if it didn't work out then the replacement it would be :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Most remmy triggers have 3 adjustment screws ..
    Usually hidden under a heavy coating of shellac or varnish.

The standard ones are pretty adjustable, no black magic , no mystery ..
    just hose out the factory crap out of them with carb cleaner or wd 40 first.

There is a procedure to follow in adjusting them , but it's simple.
    And its not a one way street either, if you make it too light ..you can adjust it up again .

Instructions here ... LINK

Thanks for the info Jaycee. Good to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

The SPS trigger is different from a standard 700 trigger. However, the ones I have used were mostly 'decent'. But I prefer lighter, even for stalking. I would go aftermarket.

As for the guns, the SPS is Remmy's basement line. Keep that in mind. I think most rems are roughly finished...then there's the sps line...But the action on all rems are nice. I rpefer them to Savages, even if Savages are the more accurate.

http://www.pbase.com/wyk/guns

WYK
    jaycee wrote: »
    Most remmy triggers have 3 adjustment screws ..
    Usually hidden under a heavy coating of shellac or varnish.

The standard ones are pretty adjustable, no black magic , no mystery ..
    just hose out the factory crap out of them with carb cleaner or wd 40 first.

There is a procedure to follow in adjusting them , but it's simple.
    And its not a one way street either, if you make it too light ..you can adjust it up again .

Instructions here ... LINK

Advertisement