Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nTune Fine Tuning Prob

• 05-02-2008 11:03am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭

I decided to run the 3 hour fine tuning process on my PC after trying to play crysis to see what she could do.

AMD X2 4400+ @ 3.4GHZ
    2GB Ram
    SLi 7800GTs @ 500/1200

I started the fine tuning and it ran happily for about 25 minutes or so and then the first expected hang occurred. It rebooted and I went to log into windows again so it could resume. Windows loads and the sys tray populates with the various icons as normal but then as soon as the nTune app loads the screen corrupts and goes fuzzy and I've no idea if its working away or if its hung.

I turned the monitor off and left it for a while and now when I turn the monitor back on I just get a black screen - ie a Signal but a blank one because my monitor switches to test mode if there's no signal.

Anyone know how I can isolate nTune on bootup before it gets a chance to re-run itself? Anyone have similar probs?

Or am I staring down the barrel of a re-format? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

just press F8 during boot and enter safemode and then uninstall ntune as its a piece of crap. If you must overclock from within windows use clockgen for the mobo and rivatuner for the graphics card.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Aye - that's what I used before and I will happily be going back to it. I do all the CPU/MEM clocking through the BIOS but I thought I'd give nTune a run for the laugh.

Shame on me. Cheers, L31mr0d.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

don't worry, I made the same mistake recently... ntune just isn't worth the headaches it causes. Even people on the nvidia forums will recommend you don't use ntune.

Its madness - I thought that fact it took three hours and all that would mean it was a pro job. I've been reading other forums where people have said its corrupted sectors on their drive. I know thats worst case scenario but I'll be well pissed if I'm replacing hardware because of this poxy program. I got lazy - I much rather the old method:

increase/test/increase/test/increase/crash/decrease/play.

At least you know where you stand with your PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭druss666

<snip>

console modding is not to be talked about here.

• Advertisement

Well despite my best attempts I couldn't get it uninstalled or stop running through Safe mode - Add/Remove programs wouldn't do it and deleting the folder of all its files just hanged my computer each time at start up.

Ended up doing a full reformat. Was able to back things up to a second hard drive in the machine through safe mode so the overall result is just a faster running machine thanks to the reformat.

Pain in the hole though. Lesson learned re: nTune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Well that sucks :(

Advertisement