Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car key

Options
  • 05-02-2008 11:47am
    Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭

If I need to get another key for a 01 Mondeo what is the best and cheapest way to get one? Is it only through main Ford dealers, and if so, how much can I expect to pay? I'm assuming it won't be a reasonable price :(

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You never know with these things. Give them a buzz, see what they say. It could be cheaper than you think. If not, then start stressing about where to look next.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

They can be anything from €110 to €170 depending on manufacturer. I know that some key cutter establishments can now do the modern type keys with the chip too.
    You need your VIN (chassis number) to give to the dealer to get the key ordered. They normally take about days or so to come in. You will most likely need some from of ID & the VLC (Log Book) in order to collect the key.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Cool, cheers lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

5starpool wrote: »
    If I need to get another key for a 01 Mondeo what is the best and cheapest way to get one? Is it only through main Ford dealers, and if so, how much can I expect to pay? I'm assuming it won't be a reasonable price :(

Any help appreciated.

if you already have 2 keys that start the car you can just buy a 3rd blank key from ford & get it cut from one of the original keys & the you can program it yourself to start the car.

ive done it myself no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

They can be anything from €110 to €170 depending on manufacturer. I know that some key cutter establishments can now do the modern type keys with the chip too.
    You need your VIN (chassis number) to give to the dealer to get the key ordered. They normally take about days or so to come in. You will most likely need some from of ID & the VLC (Log Book) in order to collect the key.

A non-remote mondeo key costs €30 cut from a main dealer. The remote one is about €80 IIRC. Again instructions on how to program it are in the user manual for the car.

You can get a non-immobiliser key (e.g. that will unlock but wont start the car) for about €5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

from a ford dealer is 70euro for non remote key and for remote key its about 130euro last time i rang ford for my previous mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

from a ford dealer is 70euro for non remote key and for remote key its about 130euro last time i rang ford for my previous mondeo.

I paid €30 for a focus one which would be identical. From a main dealer too about 6 mths ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Hi, i didnt want to start a new thread for this question. Ive recently got a 1999 Ford Focus. It has central locking, but there is a key with a button that is just a light and a keyring with two buttons to unlock the car. I was wondering if its possible to buy a single unit Key/with a central locking button on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭domania

I recently got a spare Key for a Focus. I got the key cut at lock Smith's in Cork (Cunnineens) for €37 and got it programed at a main dealers. It was one without the central locking buttons but it does the job. If you do this then do not attempt to start your car with the new key until you get it programmed first!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

aswell as the key question, I was wondering how much it would cost to get a cd changer installed. I know the stereo, 5000rds e-on compatible. Anyone else ever get a changer installed in a ford focus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Deedsie - give Jeremy at Auto Electrical Solutions a call on 087-1376173 about the changer. He's up in Ballybane beside Edmonsons and McDonaghs. He'll be able to advise you on the key, too.

Advertisement