Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free parking spaces Balally Luas Stop??

Options
  • 05-02-2008 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Does anyone know where you can park your car for FREE somewhere near the Balally/ Kilmacud/Dundrum Luas Stop? Have been parking in the park and ride in Balally for the past few months but you have to be there before 8.45am to get a space and at the moment it is a nightmare trying to get out of it in the evening? And also I could save €4 a day!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Egyptian

You could try behind where Xtravision used to be ( on the Main Street, opposite the Credit Union ).

As far as I know the only people who had clamps were Xtravision and we never even opened them ( used to work there ). Now that Xtravision is gone, hardly anyone uses it anymore. I've seen the odd few cars down there for the day, but I don't think many people know it's even there.

Just a suggestion, not sure where else you could go for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Egyptian wrote: »
    You could try behind where Xtravision used to be ( on the Main Street, opposite the Credit Union ).

As far as I know the only people who had clamps were Xtravision and we never even opened them ( used to work there ). Now that Xtravision is gone, hardly anyone uses it anymore. I've seen the odd few cars down there for the day, but I don't think many people know it's even there.

Just a suggestion, not sure where else you could go for free.
    They've put a sign up outside there now stating that there's to be no parking. Kind of stupid as there's a load of land there and they could be making money out of it, but I do know that cars have been getting clamped in there recently as my brother used to park there regularly but has since stopped.

A big LOL @ free parking anywhere near the dundrum town centre though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ealach

You can park for free on the Dromartin link road that runs from the upper kilmacud road to the beacon hotel for free. About 200 cars there every morning availing of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

ealach wrote: »
    You can park for free on the Dromartin link road that runs from the upper kilmacud road to the beacon hotel for free. About 200 cars there every morning availing of it.
    Yeah, I got 4 tickets in one month parking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

rb_ie wrote: »

Did you contest them?

I don't see any yellow lines there, or any signs re no parking? Or are there markings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭shaneos

you only get a ticket on the Drumartin link road if you park opposite the single white line. The rules of the road still apply near luas stations!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaz d

try st benildus college that backs on to the kilmacud stop! its my old school and the gates at the back are open every am from 7.00 to 8.30 despite what the signs say about parking and the gate being closed.You park in the front on kilmacud road then walk up past the astro pitches, over the bridge and down to the luas. free parking there ya go. there are so many cars no-one would notice you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Rb wrote: »
    The biggest mistake people seem to make is parking next to the pedestrian lights at Kilmacud station. Even though there appears to be space for a couple of cars where the double yellows stop, there is in fact a continuous white line in the middle of the road, so you can't park there.

Lots of people make that mistake once.

The other thing you can't do is park opposite the painted traffic islands.

I've also noticed a lot of broken glass on the pavement along that road. Seems that it might be a favoured location for opportunistic thieves too.

gaz d wrote: »
    the gates at the back are open every am from 7.00 to 8.30 despite what the signs say about parking and the gate being closed.

Those gates will more than likely be closed over the summer months when the school is shut. You'll have to walk the long way around then.
    You'd probably be quicker parking somewhere in Balally estate and then walk over through St Olafs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I'm an ex-benildus man myself. So when did they start blocking the path from the rear of the school to Balally? That was always an open path but when I went walking there a week ago there was a locked gate across the new bridge there. Pity they got rid of the old bridge too - still you can't have an iron and wooden structure over live wires, eh?

Back on topic: is it possible to park in the industrial estate? It would be just a short walk to the luas stop i'm sure.

• Advertisement

dogmatix wrote: »
    I'm an ex-benildus man myself. So when did they start blocking the path from the rear of the school to Balally? That was always an open path but when I went walking there a week ago there was a locked gate across the new bridge there.

They brought it in a while after the luas came. Members of the gym (the hall beside the astro pitches) could buy a swipe card that could allow them to open the door. I presume it was always open for students during school hours? I guess it's to keep vandals out from accessing from that side of the school / gym, and keep the front as the main access point for the school, gym and astro pitches.

dogmatix wrote: »
    Back on topic: is it possible to park in the industrial estate? It would be just a short walk to the luas stop i'm sure.

It's near impossible now - there's pay and display on any of the roads in the estate itself, and most are full early in the morning. Lots of roads have been double yellowed over the past while too, and parking wardens are always lurking about.
    It's so busy here, parking is at a premium, and more than likely it'll keep getting worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaz d

Yeah it will be closed over the summmer but if you are athletic enough you can jump over the electricity box down to the luas stop. just have to walk around on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Noggle

Anyone know if there's any free parking around Brides Glen Luas stop? Area packed with marked out spaces plus threatening signs and monitoring!!!

Advertisement