Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Un-sticky Cous cous?? Help?

• 05-02-2008 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Hi!

I'm sure this is a fairly Simple one, but has anyone got any tips on how i can Make cous cous not so sticky when its cooked?? is it all in the amount of water or something? i eat it anyway but someone in work had some in the other day in a lunch box and it was all loose and looked really nice, he said his wife makes it and he has no idea how.
    Any tips??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

I'm no expert but too little water will make it stick and also try adding a knob of butter for extra richness and fork it well just before u serve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 the pants man

when i make it i never cook it it will overcook, just boil some flavoured water in a pot take it off the heat add the cous cous then cover with cling film wait two mins or so and then give it a stir, i cant tell you the ratio of cous cous and water to use, but with a bit of practice it will be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I always use equal volumes of couscous and water (or stock) and never have a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I use the same method as pants-man, I don't measure it though - I just judge by eye.

I've heard of the equal amount water to cous-cous rule before though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Too much water will make it soggy and sticky. We always make it with the stock from a sauce (but it must be thin). The couscous is measured into a bowl and the sauce is ladled over. With each addition it is forked to stop it from sticking. When it looks wet, it is covered and left to absorb the sauce for a few minutes. Taste and add more sauce if it is still tough.

It can be microwaved between each addition of sauce to help it steam. Or placed in a warm oven, covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Cheers Everyone! :D

Advertisement