Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garage/Mechanic Recommendation (Galway City)

Options
  • 05-02-2008 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭

I need to get some work done on a 1999 Vectra turbo diesel. It's currently has the engine warning light on, no turbo and no acceleration. I'm assuming it's a failed mass meter or similar.

I would have just dropped it into Flemmings out of convenience as I know they'll have all the diagnostics gear but their service book is wedged for over a week. Can anyone suggest a mechanic in Galway City (other than the main dealer) who'd have the right gear to look at this?

It's typical that bits fail just as you plan to get rid of a car...

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

If you are resonably competent under the bonnet, have a look at the vacuum tubing. It’s the small narrow tubing that runs all around the back of the engine and over toward the right hand side near the battery.

I have had the exact symptoms/problem you have described (twice) and both times it was a crack in the joins of this tubing. The joins are about 1 inch long and made of black rubber which seems to perish over time and allow air in.
    It’s a simple fix, my mechanic showed me.

As far as recommending a mechanic, sorry I am having trouble getting my car back off him. They all seem to be very busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The vacuum tubes are a real pain alright. I've had an issue with them before but the symptoms didn't include loss of boost and an engine warning light. They were replaced less than a year ago. Thanks for the pointer - I'll take a look at them myself.

Someone reading this thread might have an answer to one question. Does the ECU in that Vectra have a 'limp home' mode where it will disable the Turbo in response to certain faults? I'm just wondering if this could be a very simple issue causing worse symptoms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

Someone reading this thread might have an answer to one question. Does the ECU in that Vectra have a 'limp home' mode where it will disable the Turbo in response to certain faults? I'm just wondering if this could be a very simple issue causing worse symptoms?

The guys on here might know

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=13

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

I can't remember if it is in the manual or from my mechanic but yes the turbo is switched off if an engine fault is detected. It is to save from further damage. When it happened to me I thought the engine was finished, deceleration in fifth on a small incline with the throttle floored, but replacing the split tube resumed normal service.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys!

If it does turn out to be something simple will the warning light clear automatically, after certain number of clear starts or does the car need to be hooked up to a diagnostic tool to clear it fully?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement