Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai searching lake for missing teenager

• 05-02-2008 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

According to todays Weekender (sorry no link as yet), Gardai sub-aqua teams are searching Lough Gill for missing teenager Melissa Mahon.

Melissa, from Rathbraughan Park, went missing in 2006.

Gardai are acting on information given by a friend of Melissas.

The friend, who is now in care, claims her father abducted, abused and killed Melissa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Shocking news... not sure what to hope for here..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Shocking news... not sure what to hope for here..

I agree.
    From previous reports I assumed she was considered a runaway.
    Dreadful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

It's a terrible situation. It was on the front of the Sunday World newspaper yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

sueme wrote: »
    I agree.
    From previous reports I assumed she was considered a runaway.
    Dreadful.

I believe the Gardai were labouring under the same assumption. When she disappeared, a phonecall was received (not sure if it was to the family or Gardai) to that affect. As far as I remember, the whole thing slipped off the radar at that point. It's not nice to think a teenager could be killed and dumped in the lake (if that's what happened) and the Guards don't bother looking because someone told them she'd ran away (as I also remember, with a much older man).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

There was rumours as we have seen activity on the lake road of this since Friday.
    This is heart breaking. Her poor family, her poor mother. They must be going through a living nightmare. From that article it said they moved back from London a few years ago because her mum thought it was getting too dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

il gatto wrote: »
    It's not nice to think a teenager could be killed and dumped in the lake (if that's what happened) and the Guards don't bother looking because someone told them she'd ran away (as I also remember, with a much older man).

You are making a very big assumption here without all the facts.

TheNog wrote: »
    You are making a very big assumption here without all the facts.

Am I? There was no posters, nothing on Crimeline, no enquiries of the public, no requests for CCTV footage, nothing actually, after it was reported that she'd ran away. Or were Sligo's finest carrying out a covert operation? The first appeal for a missing person to not inform or question the public? Genius.
    It's not that big of an assumption that the guards did little or nothing after the initial appeal for information because that's what actually happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Am I? There was no posters, nothing on Crimeline, no enquiries of the public, no requests for CCTV footage, nothing actually, after it was reported that she'd ran away. Or were Sligo's finest carrying out a covert operation? The first appeal for a missing person to not inform or question the public? Genius.
    It's not that big of an assumption that the guards did little or nothing after the initial appeal for information because that's what actually happened.

No Crimeline? No public appeal? Genius?

Well a very simple search of Google turned up two appeals, a crimeline reconstruction and contact information too. Here have a look at these links:

Appeal made in March '07

Gardaí in Sligo have renewed their appeal for any information over 15-year-old Melissa Mahon, who is missing since 13 September, 2006.

Ms Mahon is described as 1.52m (5') tall, of thin build, with long, black hair and a pale complexion.

She turns 15 today and gardaí in Sligo are eager to locate her.
    Advertisement

The original press appeal in this case was issued on 10 October, 2006, and her case was featured on Crimecall on 28 November, 2006.

However, to date, she has not been located.

Anybody with information should contact Sligo Garda Station on 071-9157000 or the Garda Confidential Line on 1800-666111.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0310/mahonm.html?rss

Appeal made just before 13th November '07
    http://www.emigrant.ie/article.asp?iCategoryID=177&iArticleID=61280

Sligo gardaí issued a renewed appeal on Thursday for the public's help in finding a 14-year-old girl who has been missing for nearly two months. Melissa Mahon was last seen at her home in Rathbraughan Park, Sligo on September 13 last. Her mother, Mary Mahon, said that she believes the girl to be still in the Sligo area and that she had returned from England last year to bring up her children in a safer environment. Melissa is 5ft tall, of thin build, with long black hair and a pale complexion. Anyone with information should contact the gardaí in Sligo at 071-9157000.

An appeal on December 18th '07

Fresh appeal to find missing Melissa Mahon

SLIGO gardai have issued a fresh appeal for help on the disappearance of a young Sligo girl.

Teenager Melissa Mahon hasn’t been seen since she vanished from her home near Rathbraughan in August last year.

Her mother Mary Mahon made an emotional appeal for her 15-year-old daughter to get in touch with the family six weeks after she vanished.

This week Detective Inspector James O’Reilly has issued a fresh appeal for information on the little girl whom gardai have described as “vulnerable”.

“We are sending this renewed appeal in the run up to Christmas which can be a very lonely time for families. “We want the message to get across that we are still actively seeking this little girl and anyone with information, however innocuous should come forward.”

Melissa came back with her parents, Freddie and Mary Mahon to live in Sligo two years ago after spending most of her young life in London.

The number at Sligo Garda station is 071/9174900.

http://archives.tcm.ie/sligoweekender/2007/12/18/story34523.asp

Who is the genius now? If you are from Sligo, then I suggest you read the local paper. May I also suggest you do at least some simple research before you make some idiotic, unintelligent and misinformed comments. It makes you look silly.

Anyone can dredge up a plether of information, none of which was high profile at the time. The simple fact is, as a local with more than a passing interest in what happens in Sligo, none of the Googled information you have posted was presented in a manner which would alert people to the urgency of the case in question. The Gardai issue fresh appeals as a matter of course, primarily to cover themselves should anyone question the manner in which they handled the case. The fact the the unfortunate girl's fate was never a matter for debate amongst residents of the town after the immediate period of her disappearance would suggest that the Guards did not handle the case properly. As it has immerged, a friend of the girl had information as to what happened. I would suggest that any competant police force would have been able to extract information from a girl in the age group in question. That would lead me to question the thoroughness of their investigation at the time.
    I never claimed I was a genius, but may i suggest, if the net worth of your contribution is to trawl the internet for 2 appeals made in a year and half by the Gardai and make snide remarks, then maybe your time is better spent at other things. Why anyone would defend the methods of the Guards in Sligo, who currently have four, and now maybe five, unsolved murders on their books, is beyond me. As for idiotic, unintelligent and misformed, that's a harsh diatribe based on your "research". Maybe you should Google "manners".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

TheNog wrote: »
    May I also suggest you do at least some simple research before you make some idiotic, unintelligent and misinformed comments. It makes you look silly.
    You backed up your previous post in good detail but you didnt have to resort to attacking the poster. Red card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Maybe you should Google "manners".
    No more.

Stay on topic please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

have heard that a girls body was found in lough gill this morning. if its melissas, may she rest in peace. at least it will bring finality for the family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Was on the 2FM news at mid-day just there alright.

Very sad if it is indeed Melissa. My thoughts are with her family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

heard it about myself in the last hour, no identity given yet, no links yet either

Oh God, thats dreadful.

I was just reading todays Weekender, there is a disturbing interview with the man accused, by his own daughter, of killing Melissa. Allegedly, accused, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Article now up on OceanFM:
    Human remains discovered in Lough Gill

Gardaí have discovered what appear to be human remains in Co Sligo.

The bones have been pulled from the waters around Lough Gill.

A garda spokesperson says analysis and identification are likely to take a considerable period of time.

Investigations are underway into the circumstances surrounding the discovery.

A Garda search has been ongoing in Lough Gill and the surrounding areas over the past number of weeks into the investigation of a missing teenager from Sligo Town.

It is not yet confirmed whether or not today's discovery is connected to this investigation in any way.

On tonights 9 o'clock news, it was stated that a sleeping bag, which had been mentioned in the investigation, was found with the remains in the lake today.

Advertisement