Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lent

Options
  • 05-02-2008 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

That time of year again girls

Have just decided that I am giving up going into Pennys and Marks n Spencer for the whole of Lent.

M&S - well the food is delish but spending 50eur a week cos you like the grub is a bit much huh

Pennys - well need i say more. You could get stuff in there one week and its in bits the next. Do we learn? NOOOOOOOO.

What you giving up?
    Or would love to give up but cant.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Not giving anything up this year, as i don't "believe" in Lent. I think there's a lot of pressure when you try to give up things at Lent/New Year because everyone's talking about it! I prefer to give up things on some random date ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

When we were younger we always had to give up sweets..but i dint mind cos i loved crisps way more! so i think this yr i will give up...crisps, chips and white bread..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Baudelaire

I'm not giving up anything, I never do simply because what's the point?

I'm giving up pasta, pizza, white bread and cider :D
    I'm not particularly religious but every little helps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

when's this happening?
    not religious, but it's a good reason to challenge myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Crazy Catlady

when's this happening?
    :D
    Tomorrow, ash Wednesday is the start of lent.
    So eat all the goodies and pancakes you want today!

Does anyone "do" lent properly anymore?
    When we were kids it was really strictly enforced, but even my parents who are fairly religious, just give up the token "no sugar in the tea" for a few weeks.
    Whatever happened to good old fashioned sack cloth, ashes, and being lashed out of it with a cat o'nine tails :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

when's this happening?

Tomorrow.

And today we make pancakes, to use up the eggs, flour and milk which we will abstain from for the next 40 days.

Judging by myself and all the other Mums in Dunnes this morning bulk buying all of the above, plus ice cream, maple syrup, choc spread, sprinkles etc... I think maybe we've lost the point a bit!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I dont believe in lent. There isnt anything I want to give up, or maybe I should give up. Creme Eggs are my only vice, and I'm not giving them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

I dont give up stuff for lent. I give money to trocaire instead.

Trocaire Lenten Campaign----Don't forget to pick up your Trocaire Box:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

I'm not very religious so I didn't even know lent was coming up.

Remember back in school when the teacher used to ask "so what are ye giving up for lent?" and some smart ass would always say "school!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I was thinking of giving up the hot chocolate i get every morning in work. It can't be good for me and it costs me €15 a week. That'd be about €90 saved during lent. The only thing is, work sucks and it helps me get through the day so I deserve it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭aonfocaleile

Giving up my daily cafe mocha -costs approx 12 quid a week and a shedload of calories:eek: I'm doing it purely for the money as opposed to any strong religious belief.

Would love to give up the ciggies but am already resigned to the fact that I'm not even going to try this year:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

I'm going to try and give up crisps - even the so called 'light' crisps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

After today Im giving up pancakes and not just for lent for a whole year:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

misswex wrote: »
    I'm going to try and give up crisps - even the so called 'light' crisps.

the feckers just put half the amount of crisps in!!

I might give up my morning latte, but again not for religious reasons cos it's hardly a good deed if it's cutting my calories and saving my purse!

Right I'll give that up then, aw I'll miss it! RIP latte!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

Refined sugar. I always do it. Have to add something else this year. Perhaps not buying any new item of clothes until after lent. That should save me loads, I'm a devil for impulse buys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Cathooo wrote: »
    the feckers just put half the amount of crisps in!!

I might give up my morning latte, but again not for religious reasons cos it's hardly a good deed if it's cutting my calories and saving my purse!

Right I'll give that up then, aw I'll miss it! RIP latte!

Cathoo, what's the bets in a few days time we'll be moaning about missing our morning drinks and saying we have the shakes!

OP.. the Penney's thing is a good idea. I used to buy so much stuff there. Now that I'm moving abroad and have to reduce my possessions I've changed my thinking about cheap clothes. Buy good quality, more expensive things that will last and that you'll actually value because you had to pay a bit for them and had to think about it for more then 2 seconds (which is all it takes for me to justify buying things in penney's cos it's so cheap). I've only bought white vests, underwear and pyjamas there recently and I'm much the better for it! I've reduced the amount of crap I have cluttering up the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Think i'll be joining Watna and Cathoo is the giving up of buying take out coffees/drinks.

It's a good time of year for trying to make changes - the days are getting longer, and the worst of the winter blues and darkness is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I'm just going to try and start eating healthy. If i say to myself "no chocolate, crisps" etc I'll just end up eating more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

I'm giving up my Latte and bread

But I'm doing it selfishly, I'm only trying to save the calories so it doesn't really count

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It seems Lent isn't as important to you ladies as we thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I have no plans to give up anything. I had actually completely forgotten that it was starting today until I saw this thread!!! :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm giving up chocolate but with the ulterior motive of losing all the weight I gained by eating my way through tons since Christmas.

im gonna eat healthy. avoid chocolate in general, and hopefully find and start up wtih a martial arts group.

I miss my latte, I feel so cold without it :( so so cold and miserable and I've a headache, must make tea.....

</rant></moan>

watna wrote: »
    Cathoo, what's the bets in a few days time we'll be moaning about missing our morning drinks and saying we have the shakes!

few days? :(

doesnt it defeat the purpose if you just replace it with something else?

it's like giving up sweets and just buying crisps instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Baudelaire

I quit smoking last night, it was nothing to do with lent I just decided I wanted to quit and I'm feeling grand so far but for some reason I've been drinking loads for hot chocolate all morning and last night ate half a vienetta :o so at this rate my lungs will become healthy just in time for me to die of a chocy overdose :D

doesnt it defeat the purpose if you just replace it with something else?

it's like giving up sweets and just buying crisps instead.

nope, I'm not doing it as a sacrifice, I'm doing it to save money and be healthier. I usually have my tea at 11 anyway, it was the 8.30 latte I gave up. I make tea in the office (free) and use low fat milk, a lot healthier than a latte!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Baudelaire wrote: »
    I quit smoking last night, it was nothing to do with lent I just decided I wanted to quit and I'm feeling grand so far but for some reason I've been drinking loads for hot chocolate all morning and last night ate half a vienetta :o so at this rate my lungs will become healthy just in time for me to die of a chocy overdose :D

ahh thats the way to go
    picture scene - coffin with cadbury bar wrapper still clenched in hand
    brill

Advertisement