Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage door draft

Options
  • 05-02-2008 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hey all,
    I have a little problem. I want to make my home more energy efficient (warm).
    However, there a terrible draft coming in and heat loss through my garage door....
    Anyone know of any kind of draft blocker or something like that??:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,156 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to DIY forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

You wouldn't generally seal up a garage - it's designed for parking your car or maybe siting a boiler etc.

Why would you be worried about air getting into it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

Maybe because its attached to the house....

• Registered Users Posts: 35,103 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Cutting off ventilation in a garage is not a good idea, park a wet car in there and the moisture has nowhere to go.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭donegalboy

Yeah its a garage in a detached house which dont really use... park my car outside... and there is a bedroom upstairs which seems colder as a result of the drafty garage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,103 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Even if you bricked up the garage door opening, it would still be cold - no heating and likely to have poor insulation. You need to look at insulating the floor of the bedroom.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

donegalboy wrote: »
    Yeah its a garage in a detached house which dont really use... park my car outside... and there is a bedroom upstairs which seems colder as a result of the drafty garage

I had exactly that problem. We moved into the house last summer and decorated the extension over the garage for the baby. Then found in the winter that the bedroom was much colder than other rooms in the house. I too don't use the garage for a car.

The solution was to strip the ceiling in the garage. I lowered the joists by 4cm and stripped out all the old insulation. I then lined the lot with new bubble wrap type insulation before stuffing the joists with as much glass wool insulation as would fit. Finished it with thin tongue & groove boards and a couple of coats of varnish.

Also am considering getting a couple of tarpaulins and stitching them together. Fill with glass wool insulation and hang it over the garage door in the winter. It would need some sort of cell structure inside to stop all insulation falling to the bottom.

To be honest, the new ceiling and insulation has made a big difference - but there is still a noticable difference in temperture during the coldest nights.

If your ceiling is good, consider lifting the floor boards above and filling with more insulation. As for boilers etc in the garage - a couple of smoke detectors should take care of any problems. One for carbon monoxide and a regular smoke detector will give piece of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

donegalboy wrote: »

You can get insulated garage doors, not cheap but a solution if you are determined. henderson is one the big brands do a search on them.

Advertisement