Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which date is used for Warranty purposes?

Options
  • 05-02-2008 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

2 year manufacture question -

Hi,

The electrics (passenger side window, mirror & locking) are giving trouble on my Volvo S40 & I need it looked at. The car came with a two year warranty - which is either still in effect or has just run out - depending on which date from the 'Registration Certificate' is used.

The 'Registration Certificate' states:
    (B1) Date of First Licensing in IRL: 15-March-2006. <<< still in warranty
    (I) Date of Registration In Irl.: 09-January-2006. <<< Out of warranty

Does anyone know which date is used for warranty purposes?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Date of first registration, i'm afraid. Date of first licensing is the date on which the car was first taxed. Try them though, they may help out of goodwill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Warranty always begins on the date of purchase.

This is the day you took ownership of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Anan1 wrote: »
    Date of first registration, i'm afraid. Date of first licensing is the date on which the car was first taxed. Try them though, they may help out of goodwill.
    Just out of interest, how can a car be taxed before it's registered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Bugger....

I bought the car in late 2006 - it was a garage demo model - would this have any baring on the Volvo warranty? The garage had it for 6 months before I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Just out of interest, how can a car be taxed before it's registered?
    It can't. It wasn't.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

pencil wrote: »
    Bugger....

I bought the car in late 2006 - it was a garage demo model - would this have any baring on the Volvo warranty? The garage had it for 6 months before I bought it.

Warranty goes from the date of first registration for exactly this situation - if you buy a car with 24 month warranty and it's 6 months old, then there's only 18 months of warranty left.

Anan's right, try asking anyway - you may get some goodwill as you're only barely outside warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Cheers Guys (&gals)

Advertisement