Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England vs ireland U21

• 05-02-2008 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Live on sky tonight :(

Got murdered last time, but Givens has no input into this one at all so maybe it be less of a murdering.

Cant access any other sites to find squads but O Carroll should start :cool:

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

I expect them to get another hammering tonight. The English ran riot against us here. Only consolation for us is that Agbonlahor is in the senior team now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Its in St. Marys isn't it? Can't see anything but a rout.

Drew Surman to take advantage of the home ground and bag a goal or two from distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

It's going to be embarrassing.

Scoreline 3-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

and no doubt the english players will be out to impress the new 1st team boss...

3-1 is probably the least embarrassing we could hope for. Hope I'm proved wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Here's our squad:
    Republic of Ireland Under-21s:

Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (Charlton Athletic), Shane Supple (Falkirk - on loan from Ipswich Town).
    Defenders: Eddie Nolan (Blackburn Rovers), Richard Keogh (Bristol City), Joe O’Cearuill (St Patrick’s Athletic), Darren O’Dea (Celtic), Stephen O’Halloran (Aston Villa – on loan at Southampton), Darren Dennehy (Everton).
    Midfielders: Stephen Quinn (Sheffield United), Owen Garvan (Ipswich Town), Jim O’Brien (Dundee United - on loan from Celtic), John Joe O’Toole (Watford), Ian Morris (Scunthorpe United), Shane McFaul (Brighton).
    Forwards: Anthony Stokes (Sunderland), Adam Rooney (Stoke City), Andy Keogh (Wolves), Billy Clarke (Falkirk - on loan from Ipswich Town).

Here's England's:
    England Under-21s:

Goalkeepers: Hart (Man City), Heaton (Manchester United), Lewis (Peterborough).
    Defenders: Gardner (Aston Villa), Mancienne (Chelsea), Mattock (Leicester), Shawcross (Stoke), Taylor (Newcastle), Wheater (Middlesbrough).
    Midfielders: Huddlestone (Tottenham), Johnson (Middlesbrough), Lennon (Tottenham), Milner (Newcastle), Muamba (Birmingham), Noble, (West Ham), O’Hara (Tottenham), Surman (Southampton).
    Forwards: Jerome (Birmingham), Moore (Aston Villa), Vaughan (Everton), Walcott (Arsenal).

Looks like a very difficult night ahead for us.

A squad of mostly Premiership regulars against a who's who of the Championship and Premiership reserves. Certainly looks that way.

Coverage starts at 19.30, kick off 19.45. Have the pancakes ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You'll need about 6 full-size pancakes to cover a widescreen tv.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    You'll need about 6 full-size pancakes to cover a widescreen tv.

Mike.

Once I get to eat them afterwards I'm happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    against a who's who of the Championship and Premiership reserves. Certainly looks that way.

Cough Cough :D

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Cough Cough :D

kdjac

What?

Joe O’Cearuill (St Patrick’s Athletic),

:rolleyes::p

1st since Kevin Doyle irc

kdjac

Joe O’Cearuill (St Patrick’s Athletic),

:rolleyes::p

1st since Kevin Doyle irc

kdjac

First what? Pats player?

Congratulations. The guy hasn't even played a competitive game for y'all yet though. Its downhill from here. Don't forget Stephen Paisley was a regular under 21 player too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Looking for a good performance from Theo tonight to boost his confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

OPENROAD wrote: »

what? why would you want an opposition player to do well against ireland,esp england

ireland are actually playing ok,much better than last match.its worth watching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Passing the ball as well as we did by this stage against England at home with the difference being we're not 3-0 down. :D The main reason for that would be a central midfielder in O'Toole playing instead of the attacking Jim O'Brien. It was a crazy attacking lineup Givens went with in the home tie but this is a lot more balanced.

Garvan running the show, no surprise. ;) O'Toole looks good beside him. Quinn as always is good on the ball but too lightweight. Stokes is playing too deep for my liking (by instruction).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Ireland being played off the park....:rolleyes:

Decent performance, much better in possession than England, but not the same guile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

England playing, dont know about the guile bit...

Not a striker among them..

Pearce doesnt have a clue..

Milner and Lennon on the wings and you play Theo through the middle by himself............

Not clever.

Keogh looks useful..

keogh 1 on 1 and misses,i cant believe it,also theo walcot is rubbish,so overhyped it is laughable,cant finish to save his life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

OPENROAD wrote: »

Looks garbage, couldnt trap a bag of cement.

Cant see him making an impact at Arsenal, Wenger usually teases out any talent in a year.

• Advertisement

we were playing very ****ing well

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

awful goal to concede. 1-0 Milner scorer,

2-0 Milner again from distance. decent goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

jeez ireland were miles on side there!

And there is the 3rd

I'm sure OPENROAD is creaming himself.:D

3-0 nice goal from Walcott.

jeez ireland were miles on side there!

yeah, should have stood, and Ireland would have deserved it.

3-0 isn't a fair reflection on the game really.

What annoys me is people like Joe Soap are right about the result, but for all the wrong reasons.

dc69 wrote: »
    what? why would you want an opposition player to do well against ireland,esp england

ireland are actually playing ok,much better than last match.its worth watching

:confused:

I'm an Arsenal supporter

• Advertisement

I'm sure OPENROAD is creaming himself.:D

Now if he can do it on a regular basis for Arsenal. :)

Very good performance from Ireland have to say.

Ireland still pushing at every opertunity, wide open whenever they lose possession. Gutted that goal wasn't given at 2-0, would have been a very different ending to the game, England are happy to leave a few forward at this stage all the time now with their lead.

Sqaull20 wrote: »

Cant see him making an impact at Arsenal, Wenger usually teases out any talent in a year.

Still very young, he will come good imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Im impressed with Adam Rooney.

keogh 1 on 1 and misses,i cant believe it,also theo walcot is rubbish,so overhyped it is laughable,cant finish to save his life
    Sqaull20 wrote: »

Yeah hype is all it is. You enjoy the third goal there guys?
    What annoys me is people like Joe Soap are right about the result, but for all the wrong reasons.

I have to say I expected a much more dominant English performance and 3-0 really flattered them. The disallowed goal should have stood but then again the defence did stop playing when the flag went up. I'd take some positives from our performance though, we certainly weren't outclassed like we were last time.

I like the three in the midfield. We leave a lot to be desired up front. Eddie Nolan was good.

• Advertisement

I like the three in the midfield. We leave a lot to be desired up front. Eddie Nolan was good.

Essentially playing one up top against two excellent English centre-backs who play regular Premiership football week-in, week-out. It was never going to be pretty.

Good point.

Very encouraging display I thought. Like the last game vs England an important point is that Randolph, Nolan, O’Cearuill, O’Halloran, O’Toole, Garvan and Stokes all qualify for the U19s.

I have to say I expected a much more dominant English performance and 3-0 really flattered them. The disallowed goal should have stood but then again the defence did stop playing when the flag went up. I'd take some positives from our performance though, we certainly weren't outclassed like we were last time.
    I don't think they outclassed us the last day. In the 2nd half they took more control but in the first half I thought we looked the classier side on the ball. Anyway, I had a big debate about it at the time so I won't go into that again. :) Let's just say we've a few good players coming through and be happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Very encouraging display I thought. Like the last game vs England an important point is that Randolph, Nolan, O’Cearuill, O’Halloran, O’Toole, Garvan and Stokes all qualify for the U19s.

Garvan also qualifies for the senior squad which is where he should be. he's going to be an important player for us I feel.

• Advertisement

Yeh I agree and I'd definitely have him in. Not just in the squad but probably in the team too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought it was a good showing from the Irish lads and as has been mentioned, I think the match was a lot closer than the final scoreline suggested.

I was impressed with the performance of Owen Garvan. I've heard a lot of good things about him and he looks like a player who could be important to us in a few seasons. Keogh wasn't wearing his shooting boots today but he looked lively and worked hard. Rooney also did well when he came on. I felt the young right-back Eddie Nolan made some good tackles although his distribution was quite poor. I think there's potential there however. Stephen Quinn did quite well too overall although he could do with a bit more physical strength.

To sum up I think there are plenty of positives to be taken from this performance.

I must have counted 6 quick 1-2's that O'Halloran tried and they all came off. I don't know how good a defender he us but he's bloody excellent going forward.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I must have counted 6 quick 1-2's that O'Halloran tried and they all came off. I don't know how good a defender he us but he's bloody excellent going forward.

Yeah he was hugely impressive going forward, still hasn't made any impact at Southampton but would like to see him given a shot at least after tonight. Unfortunate for the first goal though.

EB i nearly sure Caffrey was manager last time too.

thought we played well without any PL style pentration.

Biased view present St pats players and ex Pats players were the best on the pitch.

Quinn, Rooney and my new god O Carroll :D

Givens out tbh give the job McCaffrey or Mahon off UCD.

kdjac

EB i nearly sure Caffrey was manager last time too.

Republic boss Don Givens:
    "It's never happened to me before, going 3-0 down and feeling like the better team."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7047977.stm

Best players on the pitch were O'Halloran, Walcott and Surman. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

O'Halloran is thought of highly at Villa Park, I think he will find it hard to break into the first team, however with Cahill gone to Bolton he is now our main young Centre back, he's on loan until February.

Yeah hype is all it is. You enjoy the third goal there guys?

#

he is pony and trap,goal or no goal.

he is pony and trap,goal or no goal.

Anything else you are basing this on? He set the Championship on fire at age 17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

He's crap in football manager, but you already knew that :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement