Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just started watching...f*** me its good

• 05-02-2008 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

After hearing about the wire and being a big HBO fan i bought the first box set on Ebay

This show is something else, that scene in season 1 where McNulty and Bunk try to work out how that girl was shot in her apartment, saying nothing other that "F***"?

Its blown me away....its Good Police

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Welcome to the forum, you've got four more seasons to enjoy you lucky..... :D That particular scene has been debated too. Some like, some don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Me 2! I only really see it on by chance on tg4, like last night. Downloading season 1 torrent now. Fantastic televison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

man im jealous. id love to be starting again

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Well worth watching.

Take it all in. Everything is important

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Only finished season 1 but loved it.. am planning on finished it soon though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

I assumed that The Wire was another one of those crappy cop shows. I saw someone on here with a signature that said it was the best show ever. I thought that this was probably horse-****, after all, there are people on here who think Lost or Heroes are like the best shows of all time. So I just assumed that this was more of the same hype about nothing.

Looking back, thank **** I came in here and checked out what you were all saying about it. It is the best show ever

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's a nice feeling isn't it? I caught the pilot episode on TG4 after seeing it was from the creators of "Homicide: Lots" and gradually, as the weeks went by, began to appreciate the genius I was watching.
    I was there at the beginning folks - I win :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

ixoy wrote: »
    It's a nice feeling isn't it? I caught the pilot episode on TG4 after seeing it was from the creators of "Homicide: Lots" and gradually, as the weeks went by, began to appreciate the genius I was watching.
    I was there at the beginning folks - I win :D

Your medal is on the way in the post. Allow 28 years for delivery!

When I first started watching it I almost gave up. I was told to keep watching it and havent looked back since!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

kearnsr wrote: »
    When I first started watching it I almost gave up.

My g/f was the exact same, had to keep persisting she watch it, now in Season 4 its paid off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I've watched 7 episodes of Season 1, it still hasn't pulled me in.
    Were you all hooked by that stage??

• Advertisement

I would say no The-Rigger, give it till the end of season 1 since you're nearly there. I would have been getting into the show but not hooked.

The-Rigger wrote: »

Watch all 5 seasons to give it a fair chance. You'll have a better idea of it all by then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

The-Rigger wrote: »

I reckon you need to at least give it until the end of Season One. The Wire has a habit of ending strongly. It tends to set up the story in the earlier episodes and then you get the payoff in the final few episodes of the season.

However if you finish season one and still don't like it all that much then I wouldn't bother with any of the other seasons - at that stage you should know if it's not for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I started watching The Wire 6 weeks ago, I'm impatiently waiting for the next one (5x8) Fookin class show, i don't usually like cop shows, i tried watching The Shield (first 2 eps) it just didn't grab me.

Is this series of The Wire really the last?

Is this series of The Wire really the last?
    Afraid so.

rkm wrote: »
    Afraid so.

*cries*

That's crap news! :(

Alternatives?

Final season of BSG starts in April.

rkm wrote: »
    Final season of BSG starts in April.

Looking forward to that, probably my absolute favourite show at the mo! (sorry Wire!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Started watching season 1 on DVD couple of weeks ago. Up as far as Lessons (episode 8). Absolute class. From the HBO website I have a rough idea of the story arc in relation to the Barksdale crew, and I am looking forward to the trip I must say.

Out of curiosity I watched episode 47 Misgivings on TG4 the other night. It's good to know the quality holds up all the way through.

This is an amazing show.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Just a few Wire tidbits...

Looks like Xtra-Vision are getting Season 1-3 in to rent at some stage. They were on the system this morning for upcoming rentals so about time. It will give more people access to this great show. It will probably only be in stores that do boxset rentals,not all Xtra-Visions do them I believe.

Also just reading on the HBO site,the actress Michelle Paress who plays Alma Gutierrez from the Sun newspaper is married to Larry Gilliard who played D'Angelo Barksdale. There's some useless piece of information for everyone :D

• Advertisement

tvnutz wrote: »
    Looks like Xtra-Vision are getting Season 1-3 in to rent at some stage. They were on the system this morning for upcoming rentals so about time. It will give more people access to this great show. It will probably only be in stores that do boxset rentals,not all Xtra-Visions do them I believe.
    Excellent-e!

Seeing as your an Xtra-Vision employee, tvnutz.. quick question for you!

You used to be able to rent a boxset for €6 for 2 nights or a €10 for a week. But they don't advertise the €6 for two nights in my local stores anymore - do they allow 2 night rentals of the boxsets anymore?

They do indeed Brian,in my store anyway so i would imagine it is the same for all of them. As far as I know I we only advertise the €10 offer,obviously they want people to spend more! But in general people are idiots and don't bother reading signs and always ask,so I just tell them €6 for two nights or tenner for the week. When you are at the counter just say you want it for 2 nights mate,they will put it through right there.

Cheers tvnutz. That was bugging me the last few times I went in as I could probably watch a season of 'The Wire' or 'The Shield' in two long sittings.

basquille wrote: »
    Cheers tvnutz. That was bugging me the last few times I went in as I could probably watch a season of 'The Wire' or 'The Shield' in two long sittings.

It would be a solid 14 hour session.

With such quality it could easily be done! :D

Just an update,1 copy of each season came into the store for rental yesterday and are now available to rent. So hopefully people will give it a chance and the show will become more known. Anyone who comes up with a CSI boxset,I'm telling them we have no CSI left but the Wire is a good option :D

Cheers tvnutz.. will call into my local store tomorrow and see if it's there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

just finished Season 1 last night. Watched a few episodes and never really got into it but once episode 8 rolled around I was glued. Finished the last couple of episodes in two sittings.

Season 2 starts tonight. Can't wait

just finished Season 1 last night. Watched a few episodes and never really got into it but once episode 8 rolled around I was glued. Finished the last couple of episodes in two sittings.

Season 2 starts tonight. Can't wait

Good to hear,it really is that type of show,ye might not really get into it until at least episode 8 but once you finish the season,as a whole you see how great it was. Stick through season 2 as well because it is similar in that it starts off slowly and had a very different storyline but I honestly think season 2 is very underrated by most people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jArgHA

I actually loved Season 2, it would be my second favourite after Season 4.

• Advertisement

I think because season 2 stands out as being different and doesnt really fit in with the rest of them is why people think its the weakest of the lot. I'm not a big fan of it. Thats not to say it was no good. Just different

Have to agree with season 2 being weak... was far too disjointed. Though Ziggy was great in an intentionally irritating f*ckwit kinda way! :D

Started season 3 last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I've been following it on FX, they're at season 3 at the moment and this weeks episode, "Middle Ground", was the most fantastic piece of televsion I've seen in a long time, I watched the end of it again later that evening just to take everything in. I'm not going to put any spoilers in but a quick google for those who've seen season 3 already should remind them.

basquille wrote: »
    Have to agree with season 2 being weak... was far too disjointed. Though Ziggy was great in an intentionally irritating f*ckwit kinda way! :D

Started season 3 last night.

I presume you only watched it once though. In a few months or after having watched the rest of the seasons,if you go back and re watch season 2 I reckon you will see it differently. First time around I didn't really like season 2 all that much,watching it again though you can see how good it really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

tvnutz wrote: »
    I presume you only watched it once though. In a few months or after having watched the rest of the seasons,if you go back and re watch season 2 I reckon you will see it differently. First time around I didn't really like season 2 all that much,watching it again though you can see how good it really is.
    Completly agree with this. After watching all the seasons for the second time I can say that S2 is one of the better ones. Some of the acting and scenes in it are excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 TomCMMi

If you just started watching the show, you need to know when its on, embed this on your page, and never miss out. 205x103_standard.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭BAZM8

As it's my birthday this weekend i asked the missus for Season 1 Box set. Should be there when i get home tonight.

I've never seen it or know anyone who has seen it but went for it based on this forum. So i hope this isn't some elaborate joke!
    Did the same with "The West Wing" a few years ago and it's my all time favourite show now.

I'll watch a few episodes over the W/end and give an initial appraisal on Monday.

watch all of season one before you make your mind up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭BAZM8

8 episodes in and i'm hooked, great characters plot and writing. Dunno if I could watch it on regular TV though, as it would be tricky to keep track of what's happening if you weren't watching one episode after another.

I find the hindrance and interference from the upper levels of the police department frustrating to watch (wanna shout at the telly at the gob****es in charge) Also I totally hated 'Herc' when he was in Entourage but he's funny here.

5 stars...Season 2 on order already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

started watching the show about two months ago and have to say i think its one of the best shows to grace televison.

The level of detail they put in is fantastic and every season acknowleges the previous seasons so well.

honerble mentions go out to
    Bodie getting killed, after watching the character developing for 4 seasons was sad to see him go as was the case with stringer.

Also thought it was fantastic the way they had nikki sabotca shouting at mayor carcetti during the ribbon cutting cermony can not think of any other show that put that much effort it.

Didnt enjoy season 2 as much the others meself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Also thought it was fantastic the way they had nikki sabotca shouting at mayor carcetti during the ribbon cutting cermony can not think of any other show that put that much effort it.

Well, strictly speaking the last time we saw Nicky
    he was being put into witness protection so wtf was he doing back on the docks where he was likely to get a cap in his ass from the Greek's goons? :D

• Advertisement

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Well, strictly speaking the last time we saw Nicky
    he was being put into witness protection so wtf was he doing back on the docks where he was likely to get a cap in his ass from the Greek's goons? :D

he was hiding in plain sight

Advertisement