Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling Tips please, Car wont sell.

Options
  • 05-02-2008 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

The GF has a 2003 Opel Astra 1.2l with 69k miles on the clock.

She has it the localtrader and i have it on Adverts.ie and she has posters in the back window for the guts of three weeks now.

Clean car and good to drive.

Not one phone call.

In general are second hand cars selling or is it the fact that people see a 1.2 engine in an Astra and think there must be something wrong with this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It's a little on the leggy side for an 03 1.2l car, which will scare some people off. Should still sell though, assuming the ad is good and the price is right. Any chance of a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

GF is selling her 2003 1.2l Astra with 69k miles FOSH, black 3 door, fully colour coded and shes looking 7250 ono.

What do guys think?

She has it in the local trader and posters in the back window.

I put it in adverts.ie yesterday, I have to up load photos today.

But no phone calls in the last three four weeks.

Are second hand cars selling or is it just this one like.

I was thinking about the Autotrader, but its 90e for 2 weeks in the Mag and 3weeks on the website.

The car is kept very clean, I thought it would sell quick enough as she needs a diesel car for doing trips up and down to Dublin and will clock 500-600 miles a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

What about trading in for a diesel?

Have a look at cars on carzone - I'm selling mine and have it priced cheaper than anything like it; haven't had any calls, but what ya gonna do?! (only online since saturday anyway!)

Carzone would probably be the best value for money - 1 payment and keep it in as long as you like.

Edit: When I was selling my last car, I had posters in the window - all I got outta this was timewasters; anyone else notice this or is it just me?

Found a Skoda Octavia 07 1.9TDi that she liked.

The Dealer said €21k straight cash sale or €23k with her car.

In effect he is giving her 2k less for her car, which is crazy low, based on the trade in value he offered on her car.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=45133&cat=2

Link to Adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

you should add some photos to your ad on adverts.ie
    also try the buy & sell

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    you should add some photos to your ad on adverts.ie
    also try the buy & sell

How did you add the link to your sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 donal1981

I was trying to sell a car - very little response from my ad on Autotrader ireland - 1 caller in 3 weeks! Def not wortth 90 euro
    Where is the best place or when is the best time to advertise?

donal1981 wrote: »
    I was trying to sell a car - very little response from my ad on Autotrader ireland - 1 caller in 3 weeks! Def not wortth 90 euro
    Where is the best place or when is the best time to advertise?

Ok thats the autotrader out of the question then.

I thought by putting posters in the rear windows would spark some local interest.

It seems that everyone wants a brand news car these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I wouldn't be up to date on the value of the car, but the ad is well-written. Why not take some good pics and put it on carzone for €30. Always works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Carzone gets my vote too. Also watch out for the guys ringing you with loads of potential buyers if you register with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

kluivert wrote: »
    How did you add the link to your sig.

User CP
    Edit Signature

Click the add link button over the text window and type in your link

Anan1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be up to date on the value of the car, but the ad is well-written. Why not take some good pics and put it on carzone for €30. Always works for me.

Thanks guys for your input. Pictures should help sell the car hopefully.

I never thought of carzone.ie so I will them a go.

I have heard about the scammers who will ring you with potential buyers once you pay them a once of fee alright.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Carzone is very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

I alwasy got the best response from local papers. You will have lots of people who won't bother traveling too far to look at a car and will look up the classified's in the local paper. They're usually fairly cheap too at only a few quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 thefox84

Personally I like CarsIreland.ie the best..don't think magazines are the way to sell a car anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Photos are a definate requirement. You need these to catch a potential buyer's eye. I for one completely ignore ads that do not have photos of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

No pics no buyers, nobody is going to be arsed ringing you when there's another couple of hundred cars with pics for sale. If I was you I would remove the advert from everywhere you have it and don't readvertise until you have some pics taken. Also if you don't wash the car and have it looking half decent when your taking the photos you would be aswell not to bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

You need pics, if I were in the position to buy a car in the morning, I want to see good quality pics before I can even consider it.

As for the Astra, a 1.2 is very unusual, the vast majority were 1.4s.

Advertisement