Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving a radiator up the wall from original floor level

Options
  • 05-02-2008 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

HI
    had original plan to have towel rad at normal floor level in bathroom, but with a change of a position of a bath, i was hoping to put the towel rad type radiator up higher.

Plumber says its too late, but i don't think so... walls are just skimmed so i think its just a matter of cutting out the space to bring pipes up and then re-covering that space on the wall ( which will be tiled off later anyway), then bring out the pipes up higher on the wall.

Any plumbing expert out there to tell me if i am correct that i can indeed move the rad up, or am i stuck with it as it is???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 JBCFord

I will be doing this shortly myself in my bathroom and it’s not a problem

Your plumber sounds uninterested or maybe it’s a money or time thing with him

If he not their to help you complete the project to your requirements get a helpful plumber that is

There is always a way to work it out and get the job done !

Regards jbcford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

I also did this job myself. Had a small wall mounted radiator beside a w.c. in an ensuite. Amazing how much the kids could pee on it. So I installed a towel type radiator mid way up the wall. Outside the kids range. I had to run the pipes up through the cavity is the stud partition (lucky it was not en external wall). Used tongued and grooved PVC cladding to basically tile the lower half of the walls, so the damage to the plaster was not visible.

So its not a problem if its an stud partition wall. Might be a different lettle of fish if its a block wall as I reckon you'd have to cut quite a channel in the wall, plus you'd hardly have room for the pipe insulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Your plumber may have done the necessary pipework and filled your heating system back up again.

There isn't much difference in the work envolved ,but there would be if the first fixing is finished at this stage ,which it probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

_Brian_ wrote: »
    Your plumber may have done the necessary pipework and filled your heating system back up again.

There isn't much difference in the work envolved ,but there would be if the first fixing is finished at this stage ,which it probably is.

Drain it and fill it again, whats that going to take, an hour ?

OP.
    Tell the plumber, who is working for you that you want it changed, you may have to pay him extra, but thats what you get for changing your mind. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

oleras wrote: »
    Drain it and fill it again, whats that going to take, an hour ?

OP.
    Tell the plumber, who is working for you that you want it changed, you may have to pay him extra, but thats what you get for changing your mind. ;)

There is a reason why people use watches and clocks ,use diaries and make appointments. A good tradesman won't leave their customers waiting.

Thats probably why the plumber said it can't be done ,more to do with his schedule as appose to the krypton factor.

The poor chap is probably a good tradesman and everyone is ready to hop on their high horse.

I've five people to call to tomorrow ,some are taking time off work .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

_Brian_ wrote: »
    A good tradesman won't leave their customers waiting.

And a better tradesman will give the customer what they want. Even if it means he has to call back when his other jobs are finished that day.

Advertisement