Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom] belkin router problems

Options
  • 05-02-2008 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi, im trying to setup a mates router for him
    its a Belkin Wireless G Plus MIMO Router.

His connection is with eircom, and those support guys are of no help.
    he connects to the internet through PPPoE and all those details are correct,
    I think the problem might be the DNS address.

the light on the router is green so its definatly connected to the internet,
    and it shows data transfer rates when i log into the router too (since i put in his pppoe username and password, but shows NO CONNECTION in the top right of the router login. I think it could be some tiny setting on the router itself thats causing the problem.
    anyone have any experience with a belkin and eircom connection?

We both have macs too.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Hi, im trying to setup a mates router for him
    its a Belkin Wireless G Plus MIMO Router.
    We both have macs too.
    Thanks

Did it ask you for a security phrase or WEP key on the router when you connected? It sounds as if it may be the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

no thats not setup yet.
    Was going to get it working before i attempted to lock it down.
    I wasnt aware that you had to setup a wep right off the bat?
    im heading over to his place later so ill give that a try.

cheers Barlow,
    and if anyone has any other suggestions I'd be more than grateful
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭moynihan

I don't really know the Belkin routers that well, I'm assuming it's a DSL router and not daisychained to the Eircom modem.

Your standard settings for an Irish DSL connection as as follows, but I'm not sure where they are located in the Belkin setup pages.

Multiplesing method LLU based
    PPoe

VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

After that you should just have to put in username and password and you're done.

Does the Belkin have a DSL light on the front? If there is one there and it's not on that indicates some kind of line problem (which could be dodgy witing in the house, a dodgy phone cable or a dodgy filter).

Does the connection work on his Eircom provided modem?

Hope this was some help, fell free to post back if there is anything I can help you with.

back again,

due to college deadlines i didnt have time until this evening to have another go at my mates router. i did the suggestions above however they we're of no help im afraid.

here are three screen grabs of the belkin setup window
    grab1po4.jpg

grab2yh5.jpg
    (i did try the VPI/VCI settings mentioned in the earlier post, although they are different in the screen grab above, and they did not help the situation.)

grab3rf5.jpg

if anyone has any advice or a solution, i would owe you a pint!
    Cheers
    SM

• Registered Users Posts: 2 J40

Your DNS addresses are wrong. They Should be.

Primary DNS: 213.94.190.194. Secondary DNS: 213.94.190.236.

Hope this works!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Noviceman

Hi,

I have the exact same problem as this, did you get it resolved, did the last suggestions of changing the dns work?

Hey noviceman, actually just back from the pub with the guy, from what i remember everything was setup correctly. As strange as it was he was on about it again this evening, he was saying that in the end it was a naming issue, his broadband provider was perlico not eircom, and as such some small setting, i think it was a service name issue, instead of it being "eircom" it should have been "perlico".

hope that helps. i can get him to get screen grabs of his settings if nessessary, although it might take a day or two due to it being xmas party season, and his last week in work before xmas and the workload doubled.

interesting as what i am looking at is a move from eircom to bt. i had a look and could only see only one place where it mentioned bt and it said this was optional. Would appreciate further help, not necessarily a screenshot, but when the mistake was..

thks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

moynihan wrote: »
    I don't really know the Belkin routers that well, I'm assuming it's a DSL router and not daisychained to the Eircom modem.

snip

@ OP: I assume you know what is meant by a DSL modem/router?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Noviceman wrote: »
    interesting as what i am looking at is a move from eircom to bt. i had a look and could only see only one place where it mentioned bt and it said this was optional. Would appreciate further help, not necessarily a screenshot, but when the mistake was..

thks ;)

If you move from one dsl isp to another you will have to change your sign in name and password to the new isp's. This is done on the main settings page in the router. You should not have to change anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

It has not been established how the OP is connecting to the phone line.

MC

dub45 wrote: »
    If you move from one dsl isp to another you will have to change your sign in name and password to the new isp's. This is done on the main settings page in the router. You should not have to change anything else.

yes, i have done this, i got the username and password from BT, it's on the connection page in the router, the change from eircom to Bt was done sometime ago, he was using a Zyxel router, ya know the one eircom gave out and changed names there, now he wants wireless and has got the Belkin router, i entered username and password into router and applied changes, won't connect... i entered same username and password into Zyxel router and it works so username and password are deffo correct, am absolutely baffled as to what is wrong, brand new router, want to find someplace else to test it, but can't right now...

someone above suggested dns could be wrong, could this be the case?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Noviceman wrote: »
    Hi,

I have the exact same problem as this, did you get it resolved, did the last suggestions of changing the dns work?

Lets start at the beginning:) How exactly are you connecting to the internet?

Model no if possible. Also just in case you have copied the settings from the screen shot above the vci figure is wrong it should be 35.

ok connecting to the internet using standard zyxel prestige 600 series, used to connect using eircom dsl, now BT dsl with new bt username and password obviously....

now want to replace Zyxel with Belkin N1-Wireless Router F5D8631-4 to get wireless round house, connected to router, changed username and password to correct and it should work, but doesn't - didn't use settings from post above, VCI is 35

solved this problem - very strange, got onto Belkin support, which were pretty good i have to say, reset the router to factory settings, then re-entered all the settings, only thing different was MTU of 1400, I had default of 1454, also tried 1500

Advertisement