Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How long before I receive tax details

Options
  • 05-02-2008 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

Purchased a car in mid jan, was told the tax details needed to be sent to Shannon to be reprocessed into my details.

Still havent received. How long should it take?

JUmpa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

3 weeks sounds pretty normal. I'd say January must be really busy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Thanks eoin, just wasnt sure if i should be worried or not!

Nah - I think my wife was waiting 4 weeks or so this time last year. If your tax is out of date, keep any documentation you have from the purchase with you in case you're stopped.

Cheers eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I am in the exact same boat. I purchased it around mid jan (private sale) and have still not recieved anything. The tax is out of date also. I am hoping I dont get stopped. What happens / what will I do if I am stopped ? Its just over 2 weeks since I bought the car privately?

Hj

• Advertisement

Ive only been worried since the turn of the month. Also when I do taxt it, I will be back dating the tax?

Ive only been worried since the turn of the month. Also when I do taxt it, I will be back dating the tax?

Well, the tax is always from the beginning of the month, so it's automatically backdated in that sense.

If it was untaxed for January as well, and you took ownership in February, then I think you can specify that when filling out the tax form and only pay from February on. I think that's what happened with my car, but it's been a while now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

You'll be paying tax from and including the month when the log book was sent to Shannon unless you can show a gard that the car was "off the road" (ie, in your driveway or a garage and not parked on the street) in the time between you buying it and taxing it. If it hasn't been driven (sounds from your post like it has been though) then the gardai can sign a form to say it's been off the road and you can tax it from February for 3, 6 or 12 months as normal. If it's been on the road then you will be taxing it from January for the 3, 6 or 12 months.

I had this situation when I bought my car. Log book was sent to Shannon and I needed that and my insurance cert to tax it as there was no tax when I bought it. I spoke to a garda who said that the gardai would take a "common sense" approach if you're stopped and can show that you're waiting for the log book to return from Shannon and will back tax it from the month you bought the car and started driving it. He said, however, that traffic wardens won't take a "common sense" approach (or will ticket/fine you to the letter of the law for not having tax) if they come across your car parked illegally or where they're checking for pay-parking.

So basically, try and avoid pay-parking areas and drive safely (a given I suppose) to not call attention to yourself and, if stopped, make sure you have the documentation to show that you're waiting to tax it and will back tax it.

By the way, when I bought my car and was waiting for the log book to come back I rang Shannon every 2 days or so and got my log book back within about a week because they'll put it through on the phone for you and send it out if it's arrived. Might be worth giving them a call if you're worried about driving without tax

Edit: oh by the way, if the car was taxed until the end of January then you'll only have to pay tax from February obviously

I didnt realise wardens could get you for tax!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Mine took a week :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yes, go to motortax.ie and log in, your pin is the last six digits of your chassis number which should be on the RF100. Your logbook will be sent out to you as well as your new tax disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

steveland? wrote: »
    By the way, when I bought my car and was waiting for the log book to come back I rang Shannon every 2 days or so and got my log book back within about a week because they'll put it through on the phone for you and send it out if it's arrived. Might be worth giving them a call if you're worried about driving without tax

what number to ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Google is your friend 1890 411 412

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They're doing cars bought 13th feb today, 14th tomorrow and so on.

Advertisement