Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

animal cruelty in dog groomers cork!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

The best way to insure your dog is being treated well is to ask the groomer can you stay and watch. If they say no, well then what are they hiding. If they say yes no problem at all, then you can be assured they are looking after your dog well.
    I am also a dog groomer and I don't have a problem with any owner staying to watch. Some times it also helps to reassure a nervous dog to have the owner there. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

The best way to insure your dog is being treated well is to ask the groomer can you stay and watch. If they say no, well then what are they hiding. If they say yes no problem at all, then you can be assured they are looking after your dog well.
    I am also a dog groomer and I don't have a problem with any owner staying to watch. Some times it also helps to reassure a nervous dog to have the owner there. :D

It definitely reassures a nervous dog to have its owner there. But some dogs will play up more with their owners there, they know they can get away with from their owners! If the owners aren't there they seem to stay still and be good.

I did a dog grooming course and some dogs would be good as gold, but when they saw their owner outside the window they'd start messing around. :)

I wouldn't hit a dog or make it yelp though (well some dogs yelp if you brush them!). It wouldn't help to hit a dog, just be firm and calm with them and they'll hopefully get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 the grooming pa

I would never hit a dog, some of my customers dogs drag their owners into my shop when out for a walk lol. If you come into my shop you can see me groom the dogs, I think it is reassuring for owners seeing dogs being groomed, saying that, some dog in fact most will jump around when the owner is there, its natural for them to be with the one they love. There are owners that bring their dogs in totally matted to the shin and say they groomed them yesterday, but as a groomer I know this is not the fact and some of these dogs have to get a smoothie (clipped sort all over) for health reasons and to avoid pain trying to get the matts off. I dont do pain when grooming, I have two dogs and a cat, LOVE animals and cant understand any groomer that has to handle a dog badly.
    If you have a complaint WRITE to the IPDGA and they can approach the groomer in question. For all those new owners it is really important to get your dog used to grooming from a very young age. Pop them on a table with something underneath them so they will not slip and gently brush them, talk calmly and reasure the puppy, but do not play, its not play time, just 5 mins a session to start with and a treat afterwards works wonders, keep up the groming, people dont seem to understand how uncomfortable dogs gets with matts and tangles and keep them cool in the warm weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ancient Astronaut

Early one morning I was in with one of the local vets which also has a groomers attached,which unfortunately seems to be becoming the norm these days,when I overheard the nurse who was taking this tiny dog in for a shave and his nails clipped saying "Now he should be ready at 3.30pm for collection".
    I'm then thinking to myself frickn hell it's 8.30am in the morning,how long is it going to take to clip this tiny dog's nails & shave him all over?]
    I'm guessing a professional groomer could do it all in 5-10mins?
    So what's that poor dog going to be up to for the rest of his long compulsory stay?
    I dread to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I do agree that keeping a dog on premises for 7 hours for a grooming is a bit OTT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Early one morning I was in with one of the local vets which also has a groomers attached,which unfortunately seems to be becoming the norm these days,when I overheard the nurse who was taking this tiny dog in for a shave and his nails clipped saying "Now he should be ready at 3.30pm for collection".
    I'm then thinking to myself frickn hell it's 8.30am in the morning,how long is it going to take to clip this tiny dog's nails & shave him all over?]
    I'm guessing a professional groomer could do it all in 5-10mins?
    So what's that poor dog going to be up to for the rest of his long compulsory stay?
    I dread to think.

How do you know the owner wasnt dropping it in first thing before work or something? The groomer could have had other dogs to groom before that one so it was further down the list to do.
    The dogs have to be washed, dried, clipped, tidied up etc, trust me, it takes a lot longer than 10mins, even if you are a professional. Most groomers have kennels and crates for the dogs to go into while they are waiting to be done/collected.

Haddockman wrote: »
    I do agree that keeping a dog on premises for 7 hours for a grooming is a bit OTT.

Some big dogs like saint bernards, newfoundlands can take 3-4 hours to groom. It can take nearly an hour to wash/shampoo and condition them due to all the hair they have.
    Then it can take 1-2 hours to dry them fully and then whatever time it takes to clip and style them too so its not just as simple as a quick half hour, believe me ive been around when a saint bernard was done from start to finish, it takes hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What about a jack russell or other such small dogs? Fair enough in the case of a large dog where it is being attended to for most of the time.

Do groomers not operate an appointment system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ancient Astronaut

andreac wrote: »
    Most groomers have kennels and crates for the dogs to go into while they are waiting to be done/collected.

Could you imagine what the poor animal thinks or feels about this.
    Especially if they are never locked up in small boxes or cages except when at the groomers or vets.
    Someone wrote above (I think) about the dogs coming out of the groomers with their tails wagging,like this experience is the best thing in their lives.
    It must be hell on earth for the poor creatures being given to some stranger who sticks them in a box,or even worse,a cage which they can see through to their fellow species being man-handled,washed,clipped,brushed the way that they are at the groomers,and then put in a noisy cell of their own.
    But hey,At least they smell and look good while being kept in their box,waiting for their selfish lazy owner to come back soon.

Haddockman wrote: »
    What about a jack russell or other such small dogs? Fair enough in the case of a large dog where it is being attended to for most of the time.

Do groomers not operate an appointment system?

Im sure they do, but i know if i was dropping my dog to be groomed i could possibly be working that day so would have to drop them in the morning or something and might not necessarily be around to drop them in at the specific time if its later in the day and im sure that could be the same for a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Especially if they are never locked up in small boxes or cages except when at the groomers or vets.
    Someone wrote above (I think) about the dogs coming out of the groomers with their tails wagging,like this experience is the best thing in their lives.
    It must be hell on earth for the poor creatures being given to some stranger who sticks them in a box,or even worse,a cage which they can see through to their fellow species being man-handled,washed,clipped,brushed the way that they are at the groomers,and then put in a noisy cell of their own.
    But hey,At least they smell and look good while being kept in their box,waiting for their selfish lazy owner to come back soon.

Thats a bit harsh calling them lazy and selfish. It depends on the dog really, some dogs get very worked up and stressed if they are locked up in a cage but others, (like my dog for example), I know would just lie down and watch the world go by. I don't see whats so cruel with dropping a dog to the groomers and picking them up later if the dog is of the latter sort, surely some people lead busy lives and have to work?

A good groomer should never manhandle a dog, and Im not sure what you mean by 'brushed the way that they are at the groomers'? I have stood by my groomer and watched her with my dog and she has even showed my how to brush a dog properly (with a slicker brush), run it along your arm with the same pressure as you would brush a dog, if it digs into you too much you are using way to much pressure, it should just barely touch your skin as opposed to digging it in.

I think your idea of a dog groomer has been tainted, have you had a bad visit to a groomer as you seem so against bringing a dog to be groomed?

I know plenty of dogs that love being washed, groomed, trimmed etc and are happy to jump into the bath and stand while being groomed so dont know where you are coming up with the idea they are manhandled and hate it as most dogs really enjoy getting groomed, washed etc.

How is it hell on earth when they are getting lost of attention and being cared for by an experienced dog handler??:confused:
    If a dog is wagging his tail then he is happy, not sure how you draw the conclusion that hes hating it.:confused:

Being washed, clipped, brushed is how a dog is supposed to be cared for, so how can this be a bad thing? I dont get your views on grooming, im guessing you arent a dog owner:rolleyes:

Also how is their owner selfish when they are looking after the dog by getting it groomed and washed?? Thats a good thing for a dog, not a bad thing.

I am a groomer, I think your comments are a bit harsh, if you come into my salon you can see the dogs being groomed, they are put in individual cages for their own safety, in case other dogs may argue with them, to let them rest as they need to stand on a table to get groomed, and to have a drink, they are brought out to go to the toilet and they are not stressed or ill treated.
    You also need to consider the health of the dog, many but not all owners, do not groom their dogs, they are matted, sores under this matting and have fleas, as I said this thankfully is not all dogs, grooming is an important part of your dogs health, you groomer will make you aware of any changes in your dog, as they get to know you dog. lumps, bumps, ingrown nails, infections in their ears. Skin problems to name but a few. You should be able to see where you dog is getting groomed if you want to. I dont have a problem with owners seeing their dog getting groomed, but in some cases, this makes the dog a bit giddy as they obviously want to be with their owners (as they should want)
    Grooming a dog properly takes hours, you have to understand that it is not a quick job, the WHOLE body of the dog is groomer, nails clipped, ears cleaned, eyes cleaned, nose cleaned, Coat Brushed and dematted (if its not painful, I dont do pain while grooming) dead hair taken out, brush out, washed twice if not more, conditioned, dryed, trimmed, clipped and thinned or handstripped if necessary. I have to say I think you have a very poor view of groomers, perhaps from a previous experience.
    If dogs are stressed or extremely upset with the grooming process, I expect the owner to be able to collect their dog or another family member at short notice. The health of the dog and happiness is most important.
    Perhaps you should do a days grooming in a reputable salon, that way you will realise the hard work and dedication most groomers go through.
    I show my clients how to groom their dogs if they are having problems with the coat, but will not dematt a dog over and over again if the owner is not willing to put the work in to make their dog comfortable and healthy.

I am a groomer, I think your comments are a bit harsh, if you come into my salon you can see the dogs being groomed, they are put in individual cages for their own safety, in case other dogs may argue with them, to let them rest as they need to stand on a table to get groomed, and to have a drink, they are brought out to go to the toilet and they are not stressed or ill treated.
    You also need to consider the health of the dog, many but not all owners, do not groom their dogs, they are matted, sores under this matting and have fleas, as I said this thankfully this is only some dogs, grooming is an important part of your dogs health, you groomer will make you aware of any changes in your dog, as they get to know you dog. lumps, bumps, ingrown nails, infections in their ears. Skin problems to name but a few. You should be able to see where you dog is getting groomed if you want to. I dont have a problem with owners seeing their dog getting groomed, but in some cases, this makes the dog a bit giddy as they obviously want to be with their owners (as they should want)
    Grooming a dog properly takes hours, (not 10 mins) you have to understand that it is not a quick job, the WHOLE body of the dog is groomer, nails clipped, ears cleaned, eyes cleaned, nose cleaned, Coat Brushed and dematted (if its not painful, I dont do pain while grooming) dead hair taken out, brush out, washed twice if not more, conditioned, dryed, trimmed, clipped and thinned or handstripped if necessary. I have to say I think you have a very poor view of groomers, perhaps from a previous experience.
    If dogs are stressed or extremely upset with the grooming process, I expect the owner to be able to collect their dog or another family member at short notice. The health of the dog and happiness is most important.
    Perhaps you should do a days grooming in a reputable salon, that way you will realise the hard work and dedication most groomers have to do.

Advertisement