Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savoury pancakes ideas?

• 05-02-2008 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hi all.

I was thinking i would like to cook some pancakes after work this evening.. but i would like something savoury and relatively healthy..

Anyone got any good ideas for savoury pancake recipes/toppings?

Cheers

Gav

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

BUCKWHEAT PANCAKES

1 1/4 c. buttermilk
    3 tbsp. butter, melted
    1 lg. egg
    1/3 c. buckwheat flour
    1/2 c. all-purpose flour
    3/4 tsp. baking soda
    1/4 tsp. salt

This this is what I'll be doing tonight ... :D .. we had a Breton day in the Galway library a while back and the Buckwheat crepes were a big success :)

Onto this you'll want to put an egg / slice of ham / and some grated cheese :)

You could also add some chopped tomatoe with some basil ...

Think thats what I'll be having tonight at any rate

Receipe was just grabbed from the web but should give you something to look for. You can get buckwheat flour in evergreen or similar health food shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

Thanks for the reply forbairt... i'll see can i get to a healthfood store on the way home i think ;)

They really do need the buckwheat to give it that savoury feel and if it works out you won't regret it ...

If you're ever in brittany its one of the things they are famous for ... that and the cider which also goes really well with it (and not its not the same as the cider you get here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Forget Healthy you want Nutella and vanilla icecream in a folded over hot pancake ...drrooooolll Pancake must be hot though for the icecream to melt everywhere lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

We're having crepes with spinach, egg and cheese tonight. You just scarmble the egss in a pan and then add in the spinach and cheese for a few minutes and then wrap in a tasty pancake.

We will of course be having sweet ones after too!

• Advertisement

Forget Healthy you want Nutella and vanilla icecream in a folded over hot pancake ...drrooooolll Pancake must be hot though for the icecream to melt everywhere lol

There's nothing healthy about these (with the amount of butter you put on) :D ... personally I prefer them to the sweet ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

ill be sure to chek out the buckwheat pancakes when i am in france.. i am going to visit for 10 days in march around Easter time. Have the ferry booked and am looking forward to a nice break, driving around brittany and the loire valley eating buckwheat pancakes and warm croissants with butter..

Like the sound of the spinach eggs and cheese too.. might have to pick up some spinach on the way home too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Pancakes with spinach, mushroom and pinenut stuffing.
    Bechamel pesto sauce added to the stuffing.
    Roll up and place in a oven dish.
    Add more bechamel and a lash of tomato sauce.
    Grate over some parmasaen or pecorino
    Bake for 20 minutes at 190c.
    Delicious and very light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Goats cheese, a little pesto, bake for a couple of minutes. Yummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Just had my spinach, cheese and egg pancakes. Was absolutely delicious. I highly reccommend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I am shocked and appalled at the responses to this thread. (Apart from one.) Everyone knows that Pancake Tuesday is the one day of the year that you get to have dessert for dinner. Savoury shmavoury. Bit of dark chocolate in a pancake is all you need. Had them for dinner tonight and I'll be having more for breakfast tomorrow. :p

Advertisement