Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet in Rathmines

Options
  • 05-02-2008 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

hi there: i use internet heavily and i jsut moved to rathmines, I know that those mobile internet things might not suit me ( vodafone, 3, etc) so what are the options?
    doest wireless work properly? I tryed clearwire in the past and they were rubish I had to send the modem back and it took ages to get a refund.

Cheers for your comments

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭roundcrisis

hi cabaal thanks for that I m mostly looking for other peoples experiences in the area and what worked for them, signal is not terribly good in some of the buildings

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I've heard from a few people that the mobile providers (o2/voda/3) are horribly over subscribed in that area (and in general)

I tried o2 on a mates laptop, took 20secs to load a page...

ouch, that s not good at all.
    Anyone tried any of the wireless providers in teh area, ie clearwire, irish broadband etc?
    thanks

bump

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭lm7

I have used Irish broadband's ripwave modem in Rathmines,and Harolds cross. its crap don't buy it , the guy in the shop where i bought it told me if it dosent work just bring it back for a refund. it took me 10 minuets to post this reply. the service just kept dropping. I have used clearwire bit better but not much. have been told by vodafone employee that there broadband is ****. but I have not tried it. Seen at first hand ntl phone line broadband in friends house thats not great but not bad. aunt of mine has eircom phone line broadband it seems to be the best. having lived in the uk for a year , and enjoyed bullet fast broadband, I think it will take few more years for Ireland to get its **** toghter. thats how it is at the minuet. I am going to try 02 wireless broadband and will let you know how it goes, but anything has to be better than Irish broadbands rip wave modem.

most helpful post so far cheers mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Mr.S wrote: »
    why not just get an eircom/bt/upc/smart broadband package?

Not everyone can run cable to their flat/apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭speedy2007

hey roundcrisis,
    im moving to rathmines soon and have been researching the various internet options, although i havent had personal experience of one yet.
    Anyway to share what i have found out so far.. Im down to BT and eircom...BT are cheaper than eircom, and only have 6mths contract, unlike eircoms 12mths. Also the BT rep told me theyll be upgrading to 8mb in june/july and if your on 3mb with them, there wont be an extra charge which sounds pretty good to me.
    Ive heard good things about digiweb metro too but i cant have them cos they drill to install equipment, but maybe your landlord wont mind that.
    Smart is unavailable in rathmines unfortunately, and when i asked one of their reps about it she said it wont be coming to rathmines in the near future, so no point waiting.
    I cant get ntl either...but that may be just the area of rathmines im in.

Advertisement