Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short term rents

Options
  • 05-02-2008 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

My landlord has just told me that they intend to sell our one bed apartment. We have a baby on the way in a few weeks so really bad timing here. Our contract in up in July. We plan to stay in Dublin until Oct/Nov before moving away. My question is there short term accomodation options available for a few months? Can anyone advise?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Jharrb

No body has any answers here??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

There are, i've seen ads for them, but i think they're going for the 'recently arrived immigrant' market and could be quite basic.

If your budget will stretch to it (though it may not) there's also the short term 'self catering tourist' market as well such as http://dublinshortstay.com/

There's probably search options on daft for short term leases, though i'm not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Jharrb wrote: »
    My landlord has just told me that they intend to sell our one bed apartment. We have a baby on the way in a few weeks so really bad timing here. Our contract in up in July. We plan to stay in Dublin until Oct/Nov before moving away. My question is there short term accomodation options available for a few months? Can anyone advise?

Look up Camelot property management, if you're free to move around at fairly short notice it could suit and it's really cheap too. Having said that they've tried to have dealings with me in my job and I've found them a bit annoying but what they're doing is interesting:
    http://www.camelotproperty.com/home.php/b/ir-en/home/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

jdivision wrote: »
    Look up Camelot property management, if you're free to move around at fairly short notice it could suit and it's really cheap too. Having said that they've tried to have dealings with me in my job and I've found them a bit annoying but what they're doing is interesting:
    http://www.camelotproperty.com/home.php/b/ir-en/home/

They don't take families with children, so I doubt a new born would be acceptable.

Looks good apart from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

Jharrb wrote: »
    Our contract in up in July. We plan to stay in Dublin until Oct/Nov before moving away. My question is there short term accomodation options available for a few months? Can anyone advise?
    Rather than looking specifically for short term accomodation, you could also take a standard fixed-term lease (normally for a year) and then assign it to someone else when you want to move away. The tenancy laws allow for this and it is a legitimate way to break the lease for a tenant. You would have the extra hassle of finding a tenant in Oct/Nov, which can be a quiet time of year. If you rent a well located apartment at a decent price then it should not be too hard to find someone to fill it, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭sarahhurray

You have my sympathies, that's very stressful to have to move at this stage of your pregnancy when your in full nesting mode :)

Unless you have something very definite planned for oct/nov don't be surprised if you are not ready to move by then. I would go ahead and look for a normal lease, find a nice place with a nice landlord. If you want, let them know your plan but I would keep it to yourself you may find eight months easily slips into a year.

As someone with an eight month old baby in a one bed apt, I'd say concentrate on trying to get yourself a bigger place but more importantly one with at least a large balcony / yard / garden.
    You might feel sure it's only eight months we need to save all the cash we can but it's the most intense eight months of your life and anything that makes it easier is a godsend. Put yourself and your baby first.
    Babies are a lot happier, better sleepers and eaters if they get regular fresh air and a trip out especially when they are young is quite an effort so if you can just wheel them out in your pjs or potter about in a sling all the better. (you'll be amazed at how much time you spend in pjs.) You'll both get cabin fever if you don't get out easily and regularly.
    I could go on but that's my two cents, good luck with the move, remember to dump at least 50% of your stuff on the move, it'll only be in your way when the little person arrives. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Jharrb

Thanks guys. Looks like its gonna have to be October cos we cant afford the Child care fees in Dublin. Plus I have to go cos I have obtained a visa for the US by then. No choice really. Just need to find a solution for between July to October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭sarahhurray

maybe you could get a short lease on a place rented by students? some aren't back till oct. Have you put a wanted ad up on daft explaining your situation? might suit someone out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,789 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Yup, you should be able to find something from July until late September as long as you are a bit flexible about allowing people in for viewings. You will probably need to look at a lot of things to find something suitable, but it should be possible.

Advertisement