Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost Odyssey

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I was gonna buy that on Saturday (only €45 in Smyths), but i figured i'd wait till after Lost Odyssey. Dont like playing to proper RPG's at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Its 30 euro in GAME and definitely worth a pop at that. I think someone also saw it for 20 euro pre-owned in Xtra Vision. It also ties in with a module on my course this year, Chopin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭omalleyTown

East or West?

The Asia version has better box art and bigger box which makes it much more classier. Also its €10 cheaper.

The American and European versions (allegedly) have less frame rate drops and less technical glitches in general. If thats true its worth the extra €10 (especially after Mass Effect)

Can anyone confirm this or at least confirm that the American + Europe versions have the Japanese voice track?

If my copy of Lost Odyssey isnt delivered today, so help me i'll.....i'll....go buy another game. :(
    Its 30 euro in GAME and definitely worth a pop at that. I think someone also saw it for 20 euro pre-owned in Xtra Vision. It also ties in with a module on my course this year, Chopin!
    Interesting. Maybe i will get this today then. Need something to play this weekend, and i dont even have my copy of Mass Effect to play (damn brother borrowing stuff :mad:)

Can anyone confirm this or at least confirm that the American + Europe versions have the Japanese voice track?
    As far as i know, all the version have English, Japanese, Spanish (German?), French and Italian. Not 100% sure though. The Jap one allows you to pick whichever language you want.
    The American and European versions (allegedly) have less frame rate drops and less technical glitches in general. If thats true its worth the extra €10 (especially after Mass Effect)
    I dont like the sound of that...although i didnt have any issues with Mass Effect.

• Advertisement

Still no Lost Odyssey :( Oh well looks like it will be monday now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Ditto. On the plus side, I got a loan of DMC4 so that should keep me occupied. I may go back to COD4 on Veteran as well.

Arrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!! :mad:

Got Mass Effect back though, so i'll play that instead....stil though...Arrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!! :mad:

Kiith wrote: »
    I dont like the sound of that...although i didnt have any issues with Mass Effect.

Texture pops and frame rate drops wont ruin a game for me but its really really annoying.
    The "elastic man" glitch combined with the terrible autosave forced me to replay about an hour of the game.

The strangest thing is most people complained over the loading times. I thought there was nothing wrong with them. I loved how the incorporated most of them into the gameplay (lifts).

But its the same with Lost Odyssey. Everyone is bitching over a 12-16 sec load for battles (transition screen + camera pans) as if battle loads never existed before. Maybe they were hoping "next-gen" would make dvds magical.

Edit (Elastic Man Glitch):- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua9SqX5SZn4

Got it today played it for about half an hour but gonna hop in after dinner.

First impressions, graphics do seem a little lacking (facial animations and hair mainly), and there does seem to be some graphical slowdown. No opinion on the story yet as I've just reached the opening title. But it looks promising!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Still waiting on mine, it shipped 9th Feb.

...and there does seem to be some graphical slowdown

American version it is then. Things can only get better

I got mine yesterday. Played it for about 2 hours, and so far i like it. Story seems nice and solid, with a much more adult theme then alot of rpg's that i have played. Graphics are good, just not up to Mass Effect standards.

Music so far is brilliant, as is expected from Nobuo Uematsu. Some of it feels like his earlier stuff (FFVI and FFVII), which is great. Voices are also pretty solid, although certain characters and sentances can still be annoying at times.

The combat is pretty good too, but maybe not as fluid as FFX's combat was. The formations (characters at the front or back of a fight) do make quite a bit of difference though. Fought a boss, which kicked my ass, till i put two people in the back. The guy in front then guards everyone else, and the people in the back take far less damage then normal. Its quite helpful, as your casters have **** all health.

Overall, i'm impressed, but it's gonna be the weekend before i can play again. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Glad to see that they haven't been stingy with the Achievements on this one (I got a total of 30 achievement points for blue dragon and spent 45hrs playing it:eek:). You get 500 for just finishing the game.

Graphics wise I'm actually more impressed than I thought I would be. Music is superb. All in all it is slightly reminiscent of FFVII i.e. industrial magic and all that lark. Looking forward to getting into it big time.

Mine just arrived. See you in a month :)

Had a quick half hour. I know I'm going to love this. I wasn't a massive fan of Blue Dragon but this is much more in the vein of FFX, which I loved to pieces. About time the 360 got a game in this style.

Have to say i'm severely unimpressed by the graphics in this game (and I know I said they didn't matter earlier :eek: ) some of the cutscenes seem like its back on the original xbox and there's a lot of loading.

The story hasn't gripped me yet but I'll give it awhile as these games usually take a few hours to get anywhere. The dream sequences are nicely done though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Graphics are good, just not up to Mass Effect standards.

Roll on the pc version of MA for proper visuals.

Graphics are fine, in my opinion. I'm looking for gameplay in these though and the graphics are far more interesting to look at than Blue Dragon. It's not miles better than FFX but again, it's not a major issue for me.

Graphics are fine for me too, don't see why anyone is complaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Got it off Adverts last week. I'm only about two hours into it, but it's very reminiscent of Final Fantasy VII/VIII to me so far - especially the music, which is awesome. The battle system is great, with a nice little tribute to the Shadow Hearts ring battle system, but slightly tarted up. The first dream scene kinda threw me for a loop, I can see where the whole 'emotional RPG' angle they were spinning before the launch came from. Good to see that the main character isn't another generic whiney Tidus too. Really, really impressed so far.

The Main character is the same as Cloud and Squall, a moody bastard. I'm nearly finished disc one and it's just as good as final fantasy 8 and 10, the skill system is very similar to ff9 though, shame there's no summoning either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ShaneU wrote: »
    The Main character is the same as Cloud and Squall, a moody bastard. I'm nearly finished disc one and it's just as good as final fantasy 8 and 10, the skill system is very similar to ff9 though, shame there's no summoning either.

It better be significantly better than smelly FF8! And I hope the main character isn't a 1D moody ignorant arsehole like squall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

My copy was shipped to me on the 15th, still no sign. Hopefully I'll get it Monday. I went for the asian version, better box and cheaper.

Any idea if I'm going to have any problems with DLC down the road because its an import?

Any idea if I'm going to have any problems with DLC down the road because its an import?

i wouldn't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I got this game last Monday, Findin it great so far. Im about 14 hours into it on disc too. the only things I dont lik about it, is that there seems to be way too much talking in it and the dream bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Stokolan wrote: »
    I got this game last Monday, Findin it great so far. Im about 14 hours into it on disc too. the only things I dont lik about it, is that there seems to be way too much talking in it and the dream bits.

The dream bits are my favourite part of the game, they're brilliantly written. Give you a great insight into the main character too. As someone else said, he is a lot like Squall while you're playing, but he's nothing like that in the flashbacks and I'm sure it will all come together as the reasons are revealed.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to play the game in a couple of weeks though, I sold my tv because I was moving and the game is just unplayable in SD with tiny text that I have to squint to read, it's very frustrating. I'll be getting back into it when I get my new tv next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Still no sign, very annoying.

steviec wrote: »
    The dream bits are my favourite part of the game, they're brilliantly written. Give you a great insight into the main character too. As someone else said, he is a lot like Squall while you're playing, but he's nothing like that in the flashbacks and I'm sure it will all come together as the reasons are revealed.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to play the game in a couple of weeks though, I sold my tv because I was moving and the game is just unplayable in SD with tiny text that I have to squint to read, it's very frustrating. I'll be getting back into it when I get my new tv next week.

If I wanted to read the story I would have bought a book, they could easily have shown these memories in fmv or even made them playable memories, (Laguna in FF8 Anyone?) complete laziness by the developers imo.

• Advertisement

I hope i'm not missing alot of dreams. Can you get them again, if you've missed them the first time?

Advertisement