Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost Odyssey

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ShaneU wrote: »
    If I wanted to read the story I would have bought a book, they could easily have shown these memories in fmv or even made them playable memories, (Laguna in FF8 Anyone?)

Laguna and his posse of retards, that had exactly nothing to do with the main story? Thank god it's nothing like that atrocity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭omalleyTown

If I wanted to read the story I would have bought a book, they could easily have shown these memories in fmv or even made them playable memories, (Laguna in FF8 Anyone?) complete laziness by the developers imo.

So skip them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I'm not convinced the dreams would be better if they were FMV.

The combination of written words, perfectly pitched music, and occasional sound effects give them a really unique feel and I've enjoyed them a lot.

I wouldn't recommend skipping them either, they really are where the best of the story lies, at least from what I've played of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Laguna and his posse of retards, that had exactly nothing to do with the main story? Thank god it's nothing like that atrocity.
    Nothing to do with the main story? Despite his connection with Ellone and the fact that Squall actually meets him later on and he sends him into space....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I like the dreams. There's a great story to them, and the music and images give it one of the most unique flashbacks sequences in RPGs. To paraphrase Timon, 'Simple, yet satisfying'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

The dream sections are undoubtedly one of the highlights of the game. I think FMVs etc in lieu of them would have been highly damaging and took away from the overall feel of the game.

The game is turning out to be one of the best I've played for a while. DMC4 and Assassin's Creed haven't got a look in since I start playing this. Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Nothing to do with the main story? Despite his connection with Ellone and the fact that Squall actually meets him later on and he sends him into space....

It's not directly stated in the game, but I'm pretty sure Laguna was Squall's father. But, to stay on topic, woo Lost Odyssey! Looking forward to getting it on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Still no sign. It shipped on the 15th. Anyone else have to wait this long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

retr0... How could you man? He's a hero. Desperado, what a heroic limit break. And it had lots to do with the main story in terms of character and plot development.

On topic, I'm desperately trying to resist getting this. I keep putting other games on the long finger, if I don't stop buying new games I'll never finish the likes of Lost Planet or HL:Episode 2...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Still no sign. It shipped on the 15th. Anyone else have to wait this long?

Yeah, mine took 12 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

10 hours in and I'm loving it. Really fantastic game

Yeah, mine took 12 days

Hopefully tomorrow then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

retr0... How could you man? He's a hero. Desperado, what a heroic limit break. And it had lots to do with the main story in terms of character and plot development.

Because the story of that game sucks and blows! Character and plot development? Did FFVIII even have either of those.

Hoping to be able to trade in my american copy of Kane and Lynch against the price of this game. Won't get to play it during the weekend though, have a few heady days of debauchery planned instead :(

Good luck with trading K&L, not many shops will take American games cos it's not legal for them to sell them on.

Good luck with trading K&L, not many shops will take American games cos it's not legal for them to sell them on.

Hoping xtravision take it since they are great value when trading in against something. Really need to get rid of that **** game.

Hoping xtravision take it since they are great value when trading in against something. Really need to get rid of that **** game.

They should do, I've seen the US version of Rainbow Six:Vegas in Xtravision here in Limerick. It stands out a mile too because the cover is different!

Also, while FFVIII is one of my least favourite FF titles (IX is the greatest game ever made... nobody argue, I won't listen to what you think is reason;)) I did like Laguna, and it's also home to Final Fantasy's best love theme: Faye Wong's 'Eyes on Me'.

They should do, I've seen the US version of Rainbow Six:Vegas in Xtravision here in Limerick. It stands out a mile too because the cover is different!

Also, while FFVIII is one of my least favourite FF titles (IX is the greatest game ever made... nobody argue, I won't listen to what you think is reason;)) I did like Laguna, and it's also home to Final Fantasy's best love theme: Faye Wong's 'Eyes on Me'.

Grand, hope I get the same deal I got when trading in the Darkness, 35 euros off was nothing to sniff at.

As for FFVIII, it's a game I really should hate, muck story, terrible battle system and characters you want to kill, maim or torture but for some reason it's still enjoyable. As for Eyes on Me? Pure cheese. Not a patch on 'Interrupted by Fireworks' :)

FFIX wouldn't be my favourite but I absolutely adore that game, it had so much charm even if the story was very weak the characters really saved it. It really gets a lot of unfair stick from the the 'I want a mature story and realistic characters' muppets. It's a much more mature game than FFVIII, a game that had a character who's only characteristic was liking trains.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not a patch on 'Interrupted by Fireworks' :)
    Best. Love theme. Ever.

As for Eyes on Me? Pure cheese. Not a patch on 'Interrupted by Fireworks' :)

Yes, a much better piece of music in fairness. But I love the cheese!!:D
    FFVIII, a game that had a character who's only characteristic was liking trains.

Nice!:p

Gamecentral (Channel 4's game reviewers) slated Lost Odyssey. Usually I agree with their reviews but not this one. they harp on about nothing being new but they don't mention how refined the gameplay has become.

Anyways off I go to play it some more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

I have to say I'm loving it, dream sequences and all. The sprint feature is a godsend, much needed in FFX (last decent JRPG I played). Stupid tidus and his trudging excuse for running.

Got mine today and loving it so far. And I do quite like the dream sequences, they would be far less tolerable if they were less well written but as it stands I am enjoying them.

Gamecentral (Channel 4's game reviewers) slated Lost Odyssey. Usually I agree with their reviews but not this one. they harp on about nothing being new but they don't mention how refined the gameplay has become.

Anyways off I go to play it some more.

They were always going to give Lost Odyssey a bad review. This is one of those instances where GCs opinion is completely irrelevant, they are not who the game is aimed at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,621 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

got the game friday and im well impressed

into the second disk at the moment

got the game friday and im well impressed

into the second disk at the moment

:(
    Mine was only shipped on the 22nd. I ordered on the 15th so I thought I would have it by now. Ah well its still better then giving my money to Game. Cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭davidtobin100

First minutes are good so far. Not liking the dub but otherwise a fun throwback to the earlier style that Sakaguchi practically invented. Very old-school though, not for the Kingdom Hearts crew! ;)

First minutes are good so far. Not liking the dub but otherwise a fun throwback to the earlier style that Sakaguchi practically invented. Very old-school though, not for the Kingdom Hearts crew! ;)

Can you not switch it to the Japanese track? From what I have read Jansen is only funny in the dub so I'll probably give both a spin

Can you not switch it to the Japanese track? From what I have read Jansen is only funny in the dub so I'll probably give both a spin
    Yep, you can change to the japanese track anytime in the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭davidtobin100

The dub is getting better I must admit. After getting stuck on that flying monster (first real boss I suppose) at the top of the mountain on the way to Grand Staff. Four times being beaten in a row and I'm beginning to get a bit annoyed. Any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,621 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The dub is getting better I must admit. After getting stuck on that flying monster (first real boss I suppose) at the top of the mountain on the way to Grand Staff. Four times being beaten in a row and I'm beginning to get a bit annoyed. Any advice?

jansen gets better

im finding him funney now

also for advice, level up a bit. i had to do that and get your team mates to learn black magic
    wind i think is the monsters weakness(find its weakness just incase im wrong)

Advertisement