Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost Odyssey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭davidtobin100

Went back over the mountain path a couple times and grinded a few levels. Changed to having only Kaim out front and used Jansen's Flare and Kaim to attack while Seth kept on throwing out healing items to keep everyone going. Pretty big jump up in enemies there I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Yeah you needed to be at least Lvl 14 for that fight, and weakness was fire. I had Kaim equiped with a Flare ring attacking every round, with Seth and Jansen attacking with Flare spells and healing when needed. Easy enough at the right level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

About 10 hours in and loving this game. Nice to get a decent RPG again. As for people talking about graphics, has anyone played this on a HD TV? I'm on an SD and yeah their not the best but I've heard their pretty nice on a HD. Also my one real gripe so far is the leveling, the way the experience caps after a certain amount in each area. Not a fan of that. but otheriwse really liking the game.

P.S: Anyone else wish they'd bring back proper world maps ala FFVII?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Played a good few hours of this today. Really enjoying it. Found the voice acting to be above average. Jansen was quite annoying to begin with especially the drunk scene but he has really grown on me now. Had a bit of trouble with the first boss as well but beat him on my third attempt, no need to level up at all with some decent tactics. I'm finding the towns a little bit too big which has been a problem with these games lately, spent an hour milling about Numara, talking to everyone and didn't even finish doing that.

Nobuo Uematsu's soundtrack sounds stunning orchestrated. I'm not too impressed with the graphics, especially considering it's an Unreal engine game. Character models are near PS2 quality and there some really low res texturing and slowdown. Nothing that spoils the game since the art direction is excellent, just a little disappointing. There's also way too much depth of field effects ,just like in Blue Dragon.

I really like the dream sequences despite the fact they are only text. They are very well written and can be quite emotional. In japan there's a book released at the same time as the game containing a load of Kaims dream sequence short stories, supposed to be very good and written by a very famous japanese author (who also wrote the dream sequences in the game). Hopefully it gets an english release.

I'm actually a big fan of the level capping, hadn't seen it in anything other than the Suikoden games. Levelling up is a massive waste of time in these games and any game that forces it on you just has bad design. It's nice to step into an area knowing that your low level characters will be at the correct level for the area after 1 or 2 fights. It also makes it easier to swap in and out party members.

Anyway it's nice playing the first decent JRPG in ages and it's so far much better than the western RPG styled disappointment FFXII.

Have to agree about Jansen, I'm really liking him now. Also Cooke and Mack, Cooke anyway, is it me or is she voiced by the person who did the twins in Rugrats???

Ahhh the level capping gets me. It makes it pretty linear I think. I liked fighting a boss, and getting my ass handed to me if I was too low, then going to and working at leveling etc.....but that's just me. And I actually wish numara had been bigger, but each to his own.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I haven't encountered them yet but I'm hoping Cooke and Mack to be like Palom and Porom from FFIV, really loved their characters.

The game looks absolutely amazing on a HDTV - quite a big jump from the way it appears on a SD one. Haven't played a good RPG in about a year, I'ld completely forgotten how bloody time-consuming they are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Not sure why everybody is complaining about the graphics, they're hrdly mindblowing but nowhere near as bad as some are making them out to be... (granted I'm only a couple of hours into it, but they seem fine to me)

The dream sequence in the inn was fantastic... nearly had me in tears!:eek:
    I'm loving the game so far anyway, after playing pretty much nothing but WoW for the past 6 weeks, this makes a fantastic alternative
    Extremely pleased with my purchase so far, this is the first JRPG that I've ever properly played and I'm glad that I finally took the plunge

Can't decide if I'll stick with Japanese speech or switch to the dub, I'm normally a huge fan of subs over dubs, but they're just not clicking here...

tman wrote: »
    Extremely pleased with my purchase so far, this is the first JRPG that I've ever properly played and I'm glad that I finally took the plunge
    Lucky you, you have a tonne of great games to try out. I wouldn't mind a dose of Kaims amnesia if only so I could play FFVI, Panzer Dragoon Saga and Grandia fresh again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

I hated this game for the first couple of hours, but now about 20 hours in and I'm completely hooked!!! I would still say that FFXII is better though (just my opinion). Also, this game doesn't even come close to the greatness of FFX.

One thing I really hate though, is that you can't see the turn order while you're selecting your party's commands. Even Blue Dragon had this feature, and that game was ****e. I can't fathom why they decided to do things this way myself :mad:

• Advertisement

FFX was ok. FFXII...right.....while so far I think this game is great, I think it will take an awful, awful lot for a game to knock FFVII off my RPG top spot. The story, the characters, the sheer size of the game and story, amazing.

For that guy who's playing his first JRPG, get FFVII now, you'l get it for next to nothing I'm sure and it will take over your life. It's simply fantastic.

gloobag wrote: »
    One thing I really hate though, is that you can't see the turn order while you're selecting your party's commands. Even Blue Dragon had this feature, and that game was ****e. I can't fathom why they decided to do things this way myself :mad:

Yeah the turn order thing is useless since you can't see it when you choose your actions. It worked brilliantly in Blue Dragon and FFX. I liked blue dragon. Story and characters sucked but the gameplay and combat were excellent.

I'd go for FFX and FFVI well ahead of FFVII. While still a great game FFVII is a little overrated.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think alot of people hold VII above all others, cause it was their first true jrpg. It was the first one that i played properly, and as such i will always love the characters, settings and music. FFX is technically a better game (in most ways), but VII will always, for me at least, be my favourite FF game.

FFXII was my favourite by a mile. It really took a lot of grind and irritation out of the previous ones. VII is probably well worth getting into if you're enjoying the system in LO. Should also check out the last Dragon Quest game on PS2 (very similiar system to LO as well) and Rogue Galaxy despite it being more of an action-style rpg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

FFXII was the best since FFVII, with IX close. Thought X and VIII were both muck.

IX is great if you want a whole history lesson on the FF series to date. A great story and great use of the turn-based system. Well worth ebaying for. I enjoyed X despite some really annoying lead characters. Must play X-2 at some stage - bought it about two years ago and it's still in the shrink-wrap!

FFXII really did absolutely nothing for me. The story was one long series of fetch quests which started promising and ended up total scutter. The battle system was utter rubbish as well, really boring watching the game play itself and sit around while characters slowly healed themselves. The overly long and boring dungeons didn't help either. I think the main thing that killed it for me was the fact that it just wasn't a Final Fantasy game at all, it was more Diablo or a single player World of Warcraft two games that if you take the multiplayer aspect away are utter ****e.

And how can people hate FFX? It hasby far the strongest story of the whole series and touches on some pretty deep themes at times. Characters were excellent other than whiny Tidus and the combat system was the best in any JRPG other than Pokemon and maybe Grandia.

FFVIII was a bit muck though.

As for davidtobin100, if you enjoyed FFX I recommend you take FFX-2 and burn it before it can inflict it's horrors upon you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭omalleyTown

Not a single mention of Chrono Trigger. For shame. If you havent played it go and play it right now.... I'll be here when you get back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I just seen the PAL artwork for this :D state of it, Asia ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

FFXII was my favourite by a mile. It really took a lot of grind and irritation out of the previous ones.
    Are you kidding? If anything ff12 brought on even more grinding! it was constant fighting from dungeon to dungeon! I finished ff7,8,9 and 10 but I just completely lost interest in 12 after about 20 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Nothin I love more than Final Fantasy talk!

I easily put over 200 hours into FFX (well, there were 3 of us working on a max team after i beat the final boss)

For replay value, X is astounding! Ditto the combat system! I wasn't emotionally drawn into the story however!

Here is my only gripe about Final Fantasy games... In fact, I'm might start a thread to discuss it.

I like to play specific roles in these games. The pre-VII FF's are perfect for this! In FFX, Yuna ended up being the strongest physical character in my party and a better black mage than Lulu (oh the hotness). Same in VIII and to a lesser extent VII. There was no clearly defined lines between characters. Then came IX, for me the character moulding system was flawless and I'm seeing a lot of that shining through in Lost Odyssey. The mortal characters play a specific role, plain and simple. Cooke will never be your damage dealer, just like Dagger was never going to! (Eidolons aside) Sure the immortals leave some room for flexibility, but essentially their roles are written too.

It makes you think more in a game. I enjoyed FFXII, but am only about 15 hours in. That game is almost broken in it's emphasis on strong hitters and good healers. One of my original FFX team-mates has a lv75 ish party in it. His whole party is the same. Massive damage from weapons, good healing capabilities. The game rewards you too much for using that combination and too little for experimenting with magicks! /Rant

In any case, I'm just started disc 2, and I'm loving every second of this game! It hits all the right buttons for me! Now if I could just find Dagger in some tavern in Uhra...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I finished the first disc last night.

That's 12 hours in... but I really don't feel like I've played all that much.. you really are just watching the story unfold in front of you. Good thing it's a pretty damn interesting story with good characters.

The dreams shouldn't work, but as they're so well written they manage to grip you every time.

I had trouble with the first 2 bosses.... especially the worm thing.. the 3rd boss wasn't a problem though... some very emotive scenes towards the end of disc 1 though.... very well done.

I don't have any problems with the graphics either... I think they have a nice solid feel to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I had trouble with the first 2 bosses.... especially the worm thing.. the 3rd boss wasn't a problem though...
    Same here,
    then I went back a bit and made sure that the 2 immortals learned the yellow band skill (a great feature of the game once you figure it out) The big worm was pretty much powerless then, I just had 1 member of the team healing and the other 2 kicking the **** out of the worm and ignoring the grunts... had almost max health when I finished.
    Love the way the game pushes you to look for enemies weakness and your own strengths like that...
    Nearing the end of disc 1 now I reckon, and loving every second of it!

It probably has the best surround sound mix I've ever heard in a game too.

I've had to look around a couple of times thinking there was something in the room with me, but it was just clinking of armor coming from the rear speakers.

My new Home Theatre system arrived in the post this morning, can't wait to set it all up and get stuck into disc 2 now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm starting to hate this game. Not cause its a bad game or anything, just cause i never have enough time to play the bloody thing :mad: Damn you people and your free time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm starting to hate this game. Not cause its a bad game or anything, just cause i never have enough time to play the bloody thing :mad: Damn you people and your free time.

Free time my ass. Got up for college at half 7 yesterday, college till 5, then work from 6-10. Got home at half 10 and played Lost Odyssey till my senses barely functioned at half 1. I'm planning on the same today, except hope to stay awake longer... Any tips??

3 hours sleep for me last night. Was up playing until 4.30 AM. Luckily reaching the end of Disc 1 was a good point to leave it for the night.

Some gamer I am, I sacrificed my lost odyssey time for crappy lost last night :(

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Some gamer I am, I sacrificed my lost odyssey time for crappy lost last night :(

The game or the TV programme?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,621 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

im on the 4th disk

im finding the disks a bit short ?

if this was on blue ray disk how many disk would it be ?

Advertisement