Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sure what to do (history students?)

Options
  • 05-02-2008 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

Last semester I did a History elective and I got a D- in it which has pretty much crippled my (already kind of slim) chances of getting a 1st in my course. I'm in final year Commerce.

I couldn't believe that I got a D-, I did both of the assignments, and handed them up on time. I did a lot of reading and research as well and I figured I'd earn at least a B.

So I'm really frustrated that a subject outside my course has completely ****ed up my GPA and chances of a 1st.

I'm thinking I might appeal or ask for a recheck, but I don't know if I have much of a case.

So, I'm looking for anyone who knows anything about history essays to have a read of mine and tell me if I even have a case. Please contact me by PM and I'll send you a copy. Its only about 1600 words, so it won't take long and I would really appreciate it so much.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'm a bit clueless here (being old school) but are electives weighted the same as other subjects for GPA?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I checked it out myself a while back because I wasn't sure, turns out they are equally weighted with your core subjects.

I was on 3.67 GPA (2nd year degree weighting) before this and am now on 3.3 GPA. To get a 1st my GPA has to be 3.68 or above, and the only way I could average it out to above that now would be to get all A's in this second semester.

I know it's probably not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but I would've at least liked to have a (realistic) shot at getting it since I've worked so hard.

Edit: Btw, I've replied to the PMs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I think if you're willing to pay for an extra elective and take it this semester you can replace the elective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Which history module was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I think if you're willing to pay for an extra elective and take it this semester you can replace the elective.

Unfortunately I just don't have the time or patience to do that.
    Which history module was it?

It was Barbarism and Christianity, I think the code is HIS10020.

Anyways, I've had a boardsie give me a really honest account over how good it is and I've decided that I'm not going to appeal. I'm chalking this one up to experience.

Thanks to anyone who PM'd me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

eh i did that course - got a b- overall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Barbarism & Christianity was a great course, although chances are you probably fell into the trap of just reciting the information? It's the one thing you shouldn't do. If you want a second opinion just pop me a pm although if you're that concerned like Raphael said just pay to do an additional module for an elective and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I do archaeology and the odd history elective for me is a bit of a challenege. Simply because the system is completely different. Id say take it to your lecturer but to be honest. Repeating the module or a 5 credit module is your best bet.

Advertisement