Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Eircom E-mail Problems

• 05-02-2008 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Any one else having problems with Eircom e-mail? I can't pick up my "name@eircom.net" e-mail. I think it is them as when I ping them I get a "Request timed out" reply.
    Can someone else try pinging Eircom for me "ping mail1.eircom.net" and let me know what you get?

I've cross posted this on the Windows forum - sorry if you've read it twice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

PhotogTom wrote: »
    Any one else having problems with Eircom e-mail? I can't pick up my "name@eircom.net" e-mail. I think it is them as when I ping them I get a "Request timed out" reply.
    Can someone else try pinging Eircom for me "ping mail1.eircom.net" and let me know what you get?

Can you access any other webpages through IE? ( which i assume you can if you can post here )

Its sounds as if something on your PC ( firewall ) may have blocked the connection.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Nick>ping mail1.eircom.net

Pinging mail1.eircom.net [159.134.198.135] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 159.134.198.135: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=60
    Reply from 159.134.198.135: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=60
    Reply from 159.134.198.135: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=60
    Reply from 159.134.198.135: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 159.134.198.135:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 10ms, Maximum = 12ms, Average = 10ms

C:\Users\Nick>
    Working fine here dude...

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭PhotogTom

Thanks for pinging. I'll have to see if I can figure it out. I can ping other places. No change to my firewall since yesterday when I got e-mail just fine. IE working just fine. In fact, I use Eircom's web mail service to see my e-mails but its sort of a pain to use that way.
    I'll turn off the firewall and see if that solves it.
    Thanks, let me know if you think of anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Just for more feedback, here's my pings...

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx>ping mail1.eircom.net

Pinging mail1.eircom.net [159.134.198.135] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 159.134.198.135: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=50
    Reply from 159.134.198.135: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=50
    Reply from 159.134.198.135: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=50
    Reply from 159.134.198.135: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=50

Ping statistics for 159.134.198.135:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 5ms, Average = 3ms

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx>

I've seen a million times in work that the Email Scanner is the issue.

Disable any Norton (grrr) or McAfee (double grrr) or any Anti-Virus / Security programs running.

Username! wrote: »

I've seen a million times in work that the Email Scanner is the issue.

Disable any Norton (grrr) or McAfee (double grrr) or any Anti-Virus / Security programs running.

Thats what i think is causing the issue myself, but he's checked it already :)

• Advertisement

I think you're probably right but . . .

I use Avast! (too cheap to pay for antivirus) and ZoneAlarm (same reason!). No changes in either since yesterday when I could access.

Same results when I turn both off - Request timed out. I do note that when I ping fwi.net (my wireless broadband provider) that the ping speed seems very slow - avg 196ms.

Any other suggestions?

Whats your results like when you do a http://speedtest.net/

I think you're probably right but . . .

I use Avast! (too cheap to pay for antivirus) and ZoneAlarm (same reason!). No changes in either since yesterday when I could access.

Same results when I turn both off - Request timed out. I do note that when I ping fwi.net (my wireless broadband provider) that the ping speed seems very slow - avg 196ms.

Any other suggestions?

Why not try boot into safe mode, with those pings maybe something on PC causing this.

User - Speedtest is fine 86ms ping which is about what I usually get - preferred ISP from my location is FWI my ISP.
    Barlow - I've rebooted several times. Will try rebooting in safe mode and see if it makes a difference.
    Thanks to both of you for your suggestions - I really need the help!

User - Speedtest is fine 86ms ping which is about what I usually get - preferred ISP from my location is FWI my ISP.
    Barlow - I've rebooted several times. Will try rebooting in safe mode and see if it makes a difference.
    Thanks to both of you for your suggestions - I really need the help!
    Please also try ye old faithful "Delete Account and Recreate"... you never know.

• Advertisement

Username! wrote: »
    Please also try ye old faithful "Delete Account and Recreate"... you never know.

I would actually just add a new account before deleting the old as you will lose all your mails in your Inbox or sub folders. Once the new account works you can import them to the new account.

Advertisement