Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freedom of Information and CCTV

• 05-02-2008 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

I've a question...

I understood that under the Freedom of Information act any person would be entitled to a copy of CCTV in which they have been recorded. (questions of who pays for the copy aside for a moment)

We are talking about a private car park (IE a large shopping center c/p) where there is ample CCTV and a security center. I've been advised that they can see my car and me but not the person that hit it. I know what happend as there was a witness but the company are being difficult. I want to me 100% sure of my rights before I put more pressure on.
    The company have advised me that I cant look at it or get a copy and the Garda can come down and look it it but not get a copy.

Does anyone know for sure? and if can you point me in the direction of that info? I cant find it on their website.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

I've a question..

Does anyone know for sure? and if can you point me in the direction of that info? I cant find it on their website.

They can hold cctv for 28 days then they must delete it. It is possible to request that the information be kept. I wouldnt dilly dally and I would make my request for the information. Remember they have 40 days to comply with your request. After that you will have to go to the data commisioner. The gardai could get a copy instantly but thats purely favortism. If your extremely polite they would also give you a copy. I had my vehicle stolen in 2007 and I went to dozens of shops and business's to get a copy of the cctv. Nearly all of them gave me a copy on a disc. I managed to track the thieves from St.Stephens green throughout the city. The Garda got a copy from st stephens green but didnt follow up on their own system. There is a pic of the bike (blue) from footage obtained been driven away.

photoffireblade.jpg

Link for your rights
    http://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/rights/2d.htm&CatID=17&m=r

Advertisement