Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Island inforrmation

Options
  • 05-02-2008 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hope i'm posting this on the right forum,if not the mods may move it to the right one. Me and the girlfriend are planning a quiet weekend away and always wanted to go to one of the islands
    Which one is the best and also is there any tour operator out there that run the packages?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Lazers pew pew

Hope i'm posting this on the right forum,if not the mods may move it to the right one. Me and the girlfriend are planning a quiet weekend away and always wanted to go to one of the islands
    Which one is the best and also is there any tour operator out there that run the packages?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

There's lots of Islands in Galway y'know :rolleyes:

I presume you mean the Aran Islands? Personally I hate Inis Mór mainly because I arrive on my own boat and the fishermen out there treat other's boats like sh1te, loosening ropes etc. but i'm guessing that won't apply to you

There's a supermacs on inis mor... can't bayte a schnak box after a feed of buckfast at the end of the pier

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The ferry for Inis Mór/Inishmore (the biggest island of the Arans) leaves from Rossavel. You can either drive or bus from city centre (aprox an hours drive). IMO it's the best if you haven't been before.

There are several tour operators in the city centre, one is http://www.arandirect.com/

cheers man. good price on the ferry
    are the islands any good.
    whats there to do etc

no, i wont be boating over myself.
    Dip your rope in sh*te the next time, they wont touch it then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

JohnCleary wrote: »
    There's a supermacs on inis mor... can't bayte a schnak box after a feed of buckfast at the end of the pier

Contributing a lot to the local economy there John, its probably the publicans and B&B owners loosening your ropes! :D

OP, if you go to Inis Mor rent a bike at the pier and go exploring. Cycle up to Dun Aengus (you have to walk the last bit) and take in the view there, spectacular.
    When are you thinking of going? AFAIK there is a direct high-speed ferry service starting from Galway City this summer... would save time going to Rossaveal

If you had some imagination you'd to go Inchagoill on Lough Corrib... feck the touristy Aran muck, go camp on an island where St. Patricks cousin is rumoured to be buried. There's a small monastry thing, graveyard etc... on the island. Right at the pier there's a big camping area, hut, bench's etc..

Ferry's leave from Oughterard/Cong, but actually I don't think they operate during the winter (Not until around April anyhow)... you could always swim :D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭renmorescout

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I was wondering about camping on Inchagoill.
    I have been put off by tales of it being over run with rats. i know the campsite at the pier, but there is some thing about camping on an island.
    Any comments?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I was wondering about camping on Inchagoill.
    I have been put off by tales of it being over run with rats. i know the campsite at the pier, but there is some thing about camping on an island.
    Any comments?

Actually since I camp there every weekend during the summer and like the peace and quiet... yes there are rats, lots of BIG GIANT RATS! Do not go to Inchagoill. Avoid at all costs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭renmorescout

Behave, or I will bring my scout troop with me !!!! They would drive any rats away! No really, I do a bit of family camping, and would like to try it sometime. I will give you fair warning. It would make a nice change from connamara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Zzippy wrote: »
    AFAIK there is a direct high-speed ferry service starting from Galway City this summer... would save time going to Rossaveal

http://www.galwayindependent.com/local-news/local-news/new-high-speed-service-to-bring-aran-closer/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i hear nuns island is good this time of the year.

Behave, or I will bring my scout troop with me !!!! They would drive any rats away! No really, I do a bit of family camping, and would like to try it sometime. I will give you fair warning. It would make a nice change from connamara.

There's a few rats. If your a scout leader you'll know how to keep them away! Main reason the feckers are there is because eejits leave food lying about the place. I always make sure to throw any ununsed food in the fire, or hang it from a tree in a bag.

On a lighter note, there's also rabbits there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Inishboffin is good for a trip too, but a bit further from Galway - bus to Cleggan, then boat.

Advertisement