Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Corsa

Options
  • 05-02-2008 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just got my first car, a 1995 Opel Corsa. My boyfriend drove one last year and he told me when he first got his he found the petrol cap very tricky to get the hang of but I can't seem to open it at all! I put the key in and turn it anti-clockwise, so far so good. Then it goes weird. Either I can't get the key out at all or I get the key out and the cap just turns and turns and turns and turns but doesn't actually come off. I know the cap does come off as my boyfriend and I put petrol in at weekend. I was having trouble with it so he stepped in and did it for me and I didn't even think that this may be detrimental in the long run! Any tips as I will need petrol very soon!!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Put key in - Hold cap steady. Turn key.
    When it's spinning it's locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Well then no matter what way I turn the key the cap won't bloody come off. I went down to it just now. Checked cap, locked solid, wouldn't move left or right. Turned key and it gets loose and will spin round and round but won't come off. I'm starting to get really annoyed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Did you look in the hand book in the glove box

Don't have one. Bought it third hand and the manual apparently got lost somewhere along the way. I know it opens but my stupid womanly brain can't figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

ergonomics wrote: »
    Well then no matter what way I turn the key the cap won't bloody come off. I went down to it just now. Checked cap, locked solid, wouldn't move left or right. Turned key and it gets loose and will spin round and round but won't come off. I'm starting to get really annoyed now.

................I dont mean to sound patronising but as egan says, if it sopins its locked, if it doesn't move its actually unlocked but you may need someone stronger to twist it off. Then lubricate it and it should be easier, or dont tighten it so much, you dont have to tighten it very much at all to lock it !

Hold cap, turn key anticlock, now its unlocked, twist cap anti clock !

• Advertisement

Ahhh embarrassment. I didn't try to turn it hard when it wouldn't move. I just kinda tipped it and figured that meant it was locked. Will try it again now. I bet you're right. Oh the shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

ergonomics wrote: »
    Ahhh embarrassment. I didn't try to turn it hard when it wouldn't move. I just kinda tipped it and figured that meant it was locked. Will try it again now. I bet you're right. Oh the shame.

.............believe me your not the first, and you wont be the last !:D

Advertisement